What did you do on your 70 series today? (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My son won a free Aussie Locker at the 2019 Coal Mine Cruiser Classic hosted by the Gotham City Land Cruiser.

He has a FJ Cruiser so, did not need it. I had it installed on my LJ77.

Turns out I needed new rotors and some brake lines also.

All done. Looking forward to trying it out.

Made a heat shield from scrap and stainless shim stock.
IMG_1041.JPG

Installed 2 new generic group 27 batteries, $99 each.
Re-used battery clamps. Brass heavy hex nuts use a 9/16" or 14mm wrench. Drilled and rounded nuts make good spacers.
IMG_1034.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

Is that blue thing a center tap?

Center taps are EVIL.

Please stay calm.
It is a center tap for the rarely used 12V air compressor.
In the last year I have used it twice.

My batteries take a bigger hit from the 24-12V converter powering the 12V radio's "memory". Losing about 0.5 amps round the clock.

Made a heat shield from scrap and stainless shim stock.
View attachment 2220905

Re-used battery clamps. Brass heavy hex nuts use a 9/16" or 14mm wrench. Drilled and rounded nuts make good spacers.
View attachment 2220908

View attachment 2220909
Off topic, but noticed your location - is your truck black? Saw a black rhd 7x series in the Charlottesville/Earlysville area a few months ago, and I would be surprised if there were more than one here.

View attachment 2220908
You should consider rubber boots to cover some of those terminals, at least if you're like I am and forget to disconnect the batteries and accidentally touch the terminals with wrenches when working. Can't count the number of times I made that mistake before putting rubber boots on mine.

Bludozer: yup. Earleysville, CHO, etc.

Jfrench: For now I throw a rubber backed bath mat over fender and tops of batteries.

Do you have aircon condenser up front with PDI IC?

I finally had to get rid of the stock amplifier(s). The sound was terrible and speakers would cut in and out randomly. I couldn't afford to do the full stereo upgrade with all new wiring that I have in mind, so I got an inexpensive 4-channel amp just to get everything back up and running.

Real estate in the left rear quarter is precious, but I think I found a good compromise placement. I can still get at the jack and tool roll, and the compartment gives me easy access to the input adjustment of the amp.
PradoAmplifier.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom