What did you do on your 70 series today?

What are E hubs? I've got the manual Aisin one's and I've seen the auto type on other 70 series but not heard of E hubs before.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
What are E hubs? I've got the manual Aisin one's and I've seen the auto type on other 70 series but not heard of E hubs before.
I think they were just used in the select JDM 1990+ 70 series. Basically Toyota ran wires in the spindle to a special little slip ring. The hubs had brushes and more wires to a little motor. Pushing a button in the cab turned on the motor to engage/disengage the hubs. Neat idea, but too delicate to survive long in a landcruiser world. I serviced mine carefully eight years ago, and they did faithfully perform fine since then. But there is always that question when you push the button..."will my hubs work this time?"

Here's how my hubs looked the first time (these are the e-hubs):

I think they were just used in the select JDM 1990+ 70 series. Basically Toyota ran wires in the spindle to a special little slip ring. The hubs had brushes and more wires to a little motor. Pushing a button in the cab turned on the motor to engage/disengage the hubs. Neat idea, but too delicate to survive long in a landcruiser world. I serviced mine carefully eight years ago, and they did faithfully perform fine since then. But there is always that question when you push the button..."will my hubs work this time?"

Here's how my hubs looked the first time (these are the e-hubs):

Thanks for the explanation, like you say a neat idea but maybe not so neat in the real world. Probably expensive too compared to the manual hubs.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Did you put some type of sealant on the arms above and below your knuckle? Never seen that before. Neither are places that leak.
I knew someone would notice that and ask, haha. I'm sure many will disprove also. Anyhow, first time I rebuilt my front axle 8 years ago my kingpin bearings were completely toast/rusty from water leaking in around the cone washers etc. At that time, after installing new races/bearings, I put a touch bit of sealant between the upper arm and the knuckle as those bearings had been the worst. Not around the cone washers, just the studs and the flat surface. 99% squeezed out when I torqued everything, so there was still solid contact. When I took everything apart again last week for a second rebuild, the top kingpin bearings were in PERFECT shape, but the lower ones clearly had some minor water intrusion as they were a little bit tarnished with rust. So this time I repeated the sealant top and bottom. Again, I put in very little, and not around cone washers. Most squeezes out, but enough remains to keep water out. If I'd wiped the excess off that squeezed out, you would not even be able to tell it was there. But I left the excess on purpose to help keep the seal.

Last edited:
Installed the Safari Armax 4" Snorkel to my 78 - feels a touch more peppy I think in its stock N/A form, but mainly getting ready for a nice low boost intercooled turbo kit for the 1HZ. The stock noodle would have been too restrictive especially with that tiny opening, and air deflector, in the airbox.

Also thinking of changing wheels to black... personal preference. 5 x new black Soft 8's in the mail today!

Armax Install.jpg

Armax Installed.jpg

Top Bottom