What did you do on your 70 series today? (29 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Started to fab a fresh air inlet to replace the stock breather lost due to turbo install. Is presently sucking f air out of engine compartment which is filthy with 15yrs of leaking oil. Plan was run a pipe into whl well and fender cavity. Cavity full of rust and bondo oversprayed with rocker gaurd. Job went from couple hours to several days of hellish frustration. Tore off trashy mud flap fender liner and got a good look. B bad I told the owner, my son. This was a big job,needs a replacement part and we don't have time to shop for one. Well have to make what we need. Jacked it up and onto stands removed wheel. Omg nothing left!
Over next two weeks must have put in 40hrs easy. Now kid knows lots about his Cruiser. Dirtiest engine I've ever seen bay so bad can't tell wires from tubes etc. impossible to work on with out cleaning first. It will catch fire when I weld patches in. Took a couple hours to make up an intake once body work was done. Used an aluminum eaves trough center drop riveted through the filter can with a piece of 3inch flu pipe. The elbow swivels 360degrees so rotate as needed. Now it picks up fresh air at max ht. also did axle vent hose etc. boost now running to max seems like 14lbs. No more road spray onto engine firewall etc and it's rust proofed as well as possible. Going to do rust as needed

View attachment 1650461

View attachment 1650462

View attachment 1650463

View attachment 1650464

View attachment 1650465

More pics. Ssdd total cost under $150$

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

G'Day Fella's,

Burbot, thats some serious cancer!

Today, I fitted the Aluminium checker plate, to the top of my recently installed side steps.
Here are some images.
As you would expect, I used 55 rivets each side.
So I had to go and get a second packet, of these Sealed Head Rivets, to finish the job.

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer

DSCN2345.JPG

DSCN2346.JPG

DSCN2347.JPG

Last edited:
Pulled brake calipers, and resisted the urge to repaint Brembo red or BMW blue.
Cleaned PO turquoise best I could and hit them with VHT Silver.

4C3B783C-BF36-4E1E-A83F-220CD10669BF.jpeg

AD85274D-0D35-4979-9F82-013DA9C58289.jpeg

A7419758-B5A1-4343-A67C-9ACD7D1FCCDE.jpeg

Last edited:
Well the paint is drying, but the pistons were pulled and cleaned.
Gonna insert the pistons and put new seals on as soon as the paint dries.

Any other recommendations?
This is my first caliper rebuild.

Check pistons carefully for any corrosion or pitting of surface.

Post turbo install had to deal with breather f air inlet. OEM is a plastic piece of ducting that ran from center front of engine to filter canister. That had to go as room was needed for inter cooling plumbing. Now there was a gaping hole open straight into the engine compartment with no protection from road splash. Not good. Got onto the project after we repaired all rust in fender it didn't take long. Step 1 was to cover the hole in the can, sheet metal,rtv,pop rivets fixed that problem. 2 used a piece of alm. eaves trough; center drop. Hammered the trough flat cut 2 1/4 inch hole in the filter can that lined up with the service hole in fender. Pushed the cntr drop thru the can using the flattened trough as a flange after cutting away excess. Used rivets and sealant on this to. This "flange""setup worked perfectly. Onto the 2 1/2 in cntr drop (not21/4)I slipped a 360dgr 3 in. Flu pipe. This is the extension that goes thru the service hole in the fender nice shiny galv steel. Also rivets and sealant. The wrinkled end of the flu pipe is slightly larger than the drop so fit is a snap. When you cut the new hole thru the air filter can line it up with access hole then no cutting is needed in truck body. Cost was $10 and now it gets cool cleaner air from inside the fender. It could be extended as far up and toward the fire wall as desired or plumb in a snorkel.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Is your tank dented?

image.jpeg
C
Last week I was able to determine the capacity of my fuel tank was 21.527 gallons. I ran out of fuel 2 miles north of Goldthwaite, Texas on the way to the Round-Up. Thank you Todd @Kaderabek for the tug into the station!
I have one of these you can borrow. :)

23.78 gallons.

such a cool licence plate!
in my country police would probably fine you for showing off with it......:) although it looks perfectly adequate for the purpose to me.

Mohawk, is that an aluminum fairlead? I have wondered about doing away with my fairlead rollers.

I would say no, not with a wire rope. Wire rope will saw through aluminum on the first pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom