What are you working on? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hubs

JT- I have a set of hubs just need to get them to you. Headed to Alabama with work next week will send when I get home. Actually I am semi-retired now, should have a little more time than I have had in the past to have fun. Gary

Gary, Excellent on the IFS hubs. Not in a hurry, so I am sure we can catch up after you return from Alabama. Congrats on being semi-retired.

Gary glad to hear you'll have more time for your "real" full-time job lol miss ya man

...via IH8MUD app

I still haven't figured out whats making noise on my truck, compression #s were strong across the board. My mom has expressed interest in using the truck to cart her show goats around. We figure, drive this until it dies and get a "new" engine when and if it goes. My brother is going to replace the leaky gas tank so that won't be an issue for her. I'm glad the truck isn't going anywhere, still dig it

Gary - semi-retired? That means you will be busier than you were working...

Good luck with that!
Would be nice to get out and work on something now that the snow is melting and the temp is warming up!

Craig

WB 40 April 2014 1.JPG
Brought home a project 40 from Waynesboro PA last week. No engine, transmission or transfer case but it is a rust free 40 with a beautiful frame. Has a four inch lift, shackle reversal, and 4.10 thirds with ARB lockers. That's Ben delp tying the new addition down to his trailer for the ride north to Brockton. I worked all weekend getting the truck ready to go to the paint shop- all body panels are now (temporarily) installed, windshield glass has been removed, and all 16 broken bolts in the top were drilled out and re-tapped! I have a really strong running F engine that may end up in this truck although I am looking for a good 2F. I have the transmission and transfer case that i want to use. Have sketched up some bumpers for it and will get started on those while the truck is at the paint shop- hopefully sometime this week. My paint guy turned the 55 around in six weeks last summer and I am hoping he can do the same with the 40. By the way ben got a nice red LT1 equipped 40 in the same deal! Things are happening here in PA> Let me know what ya think about the 77 and what color do you think I'm going with? truck was originally red. Gary S

Side view.jpg

WB front driver view.JPG

Slogging away on @Stumpalama's donor FJ62 parts. Now that the weather was nice, I finally got them painted up, new races installed, and one of the hubs reassembled.

Question on the Aisin hubs - I've asked it elsewhere but don't have a clear answer yet. I get a slight amount of play (about 1mm) in-and-out if I grab the inner hub gear. It's as if the C-clips and spacer aren't QUITE taking up all the slack in the system. Is this normal play, or a cause for concern?

Also - when I switch it to "LOCK" the inner hub gear still turns, very slightly, before "popping" into place and locking. I'm assuming this is normal (just seating the gear teeth) but wanted to confirm.

Cleaned Knuckle Parts.JPG
New Race Installed.JPG
install dial and clutch and pawl.JPG

Rick- your hubs are fine, the inner ears float a bit in their housings and a slight amount of waiting for the gears to align when shifting is normal. Your work looks great- take your time and make this the last time you'll have the knuckles apart! Gary S

Rick- your hubs are fine, the inner ears float a bit in their housings and a slight amount of waiting for the gears to align when shifting is normal. Your work looks great- take your time and make this the last time you'll have the knuckles apart! Gary S

Thanks Gary, I figured that was the case, but as this is my first time doing any of this, wanted to be sure.

Hope semi-retirement is leaving you with plenty if time for your projects. I'm about to lose another week of quality time under my 40 for business travel!

Andy- the Sag install looks clean! big improvement, eh? I did the same thing with m Tuffy years ago- CB on the front and cup holders moved to the back. Gonna make it to Coal Mine at all this year? I'm planning to lead a stocker type run Friday for a few folks with vehicles they've not yet wheeled. Let me know. And we're getting color on some of the parts for the 40 project. Bib and aprons are done, all four doors should be pained by the end of the week. Next to go to the shop are fenders windshield frame and hardtop sides. She's comingGary
009.JPG
011.JPG

002.JPG
Matt 40 July 15 1.jpg
Matt 40 July 15 2.jpg
Also been cleaning up a 40 project I got from Matt Bascom in VA. Looked like an orphan when I got it, had been sitting awhile. Got her cleaned up and some parts rattle can painted, interior leaned. not sure what i'm gonna do with it- would sell it if I had a buyer but I just might keep it, finish what it needs and wheel the heck out of it. She's a tall one to be sure.....

View attachment 917806 View attachment 917807 View attachment 917808 Also been cleaning up a 40 project I got from Matt Bascom in VA. Looked like an orphan when I got it, had been sitting awhile. Got her cleaned up and some parts rattle can painted, interior leaned. not sure what i'm gonna do with it- would sell it if I had a buyer but I just might keep it, finish what it needs and wheel the heck out of it. She's a tall one to be sure.....
I know of some 35's that would awesome on that rig.;)

Finally decided to do a disc brake conversion. Brake Asy is stripped (anyone need the complete rear brakes from a 62?) and the proportioning valve is installed. I'll be mounting the calipers tomorrow evening. Then all I need to do is modify the parking brake on the calipers to work with the FJ62's brake cable that I've been using. Probably easier said than done.

axl.jpg

cal.jpg

prop.jpg

I may end up switching to an 80 series master cylinder as well for a little extra braking. We'll see how this works first.

I looked over the 60 tonight and found the intake gasket needs to be replaced along with the frame from the rear diff back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom