What are the cool kids using for 2F Fuel Injection these days? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Not interested in building a 2FE or doing a 3FE or other swap. I'd like to add FI to my 2f with the primary goal being to not stall out on steep inclines while wheeling (as I just did WAY too often in Moab). I don't care about street performance, horse power, fuel economy etc etc. It just needs to run well at low RPM and not fuel starve.

So what up cool kids?

Maybe you have carb problems? I've had several 2Fs in Moab and other steep places without stalling. But, I agree, that fuel injection is better. You should PM @FJ60Cam because he had nice running fuel injection on his 2F, when he still had a 2F.

Why not just swap in a sbc? It's the best way to go for sure!

(Figured I'd go ahead and get that out of the way since that's the standard response to anything about fixing, modding, or replacing the 2F..:grinpimp:)

TBI? Never done it but it's a simple and reliable setup.

Maybe you have carb problems? I've had several 2Fs in Moab and other steep places without stalling. But, I agree, that fuel injection is better. You should PM @FJ60Cam because he had nice running fuel injection on his 2F, when he still had a 2F.

I would tend to agree that it could be carb problems. I didn't get any real performance gains from switching (no extra power or mpgs).

It does offer a ton of refinement though. Starts instantly in any temperature, drives very smoothly, physically easier on your foot to mash the gas, works at any angle, elevation changes are a no big deal (went from -200 ft to 10,000 without a hiccup), and you gain some midrange oomph as you don't have to wait for the second barrel to spoil up. It's always available.

You also get a nice benefit on the trail. Since it tries to maintain idle rpm, the FI will keep feeding fuel in a low-rpm stall situation, so you can often idle over things that would normally require feathering the gas pedal to avoid stalling.

this still appears to be the best bet, for a one stop shop

TOYOTA Complete TBI System

On my to do list.

That's what I had and highly recommend it. I did have to replace a sensor and injector after a while (I bought a used AFI kit though), but otherwise had no problems with it.

I installed it in a weekend and it fired up on the first turn of the key, needing only a mild distributor adjustment before driving.

I would do one of these before a carb rebuild.

I would tend to agree that it could be carb problems. I didn't get any real performance gains from switching (no extra power or mpgs).

It does offer a ton of refinement though. Starts instantly in any temperature, drives very smoothly, physically easier on your foot to mash the gas, works at any angle, elevation changes are a no big deal (went from -200 ft to 10,000 without a hiccup), and you gain some midrange oomph as you don't have to wait for the second barrel to spoil up. It's always available.

You also get a nice benefit on the trail. Since it tries to maintain idle rpm, the FI will keep feeding fuel in a low-rpm stall situation, so you can often idle over things that would normally require feathering the gas pedal to avoid stalling.

That's what I had and highly recommend it. I did have to replace a sensor and injector after a while (I bought a used AFI kit though), but otherwise had no problems with it.

I installed it in a weekend and it fired up on the first turn of the key, needing only a mild distributor adjustment before driving.

I would do one of these before a carb rebuild.

Hot damn! Thanks for this info, I was curious as well and wanted to hear real world experience and performance of the kit.

I might want to save up for this before the h55

I have heard about swapping in a chevy throttle body on to the 2F, actually A fj40 screamed pass me up the logging roads a few years back. He had a chevy throttle body from 90's era on his 2f. I couldn't believe the power he was achieving. I believe his name is Abe. You might find him wondering around pirate4x4.com.

I have heard about swapping in a chevy throttle body on to the 2F, actually A fj40 screamed pass me up the logging roads a few years back. He had a chevy throttle body from 90's era on his 2f. I couldn't believe the power he was achieving. I believe his name is Abe. You might find him wondering around pirate4x4.com.

That's what the AFI kit is. It is a TBI from the 4.3L chevy's. They put together a kit with a rebuilt TBI unit, intake adapter, simplified harness, reprogrammed computer, converted distibutor, and all the sensors. Nice & clean option if you don't want to go the junkyard/homefab route.

Hot damn! Thanks for this info, I was curious as well and wanted to hear real world experience and performance of the kit.

I might want to save up for this before the h55

I loved it on mine. We've had three or four guys in our local club put them on their FJ40s. They work well.

What is needed from the AFI kit options rather than going without or sourcing yourself? Seems going with the full kit with all options makes the most sense?
TOYOTA Complete TBI System

Also, IPOR sells the AFI kit. Are they offering additions or is it just the straight up full AFI kit?
2F Fuel Injection System

I would go straight to AFI, full kit. You'll need some sort of air filter that fits a TBI, and some fuel lines, and a throttle cable. Maybe a O2 bung if not included.

I would order without the fuel pump and get a Walbro TBI pump instead. The one I had that came with the kit (was used though, unknown history) was noisey. The Walbro I replaced with was silent.

The CEL can easily be wired to your choke light, for an invisible install.

I think my kit was for an FJ40, and the harness barely reached my glovebox, so you'll want to measure to get the right length pigtail. I don't think the computer is weatherproof. I put mine in the glovebox.

This kit has been on my radar for a while and I have talked with a few of the guys in the 40 section about it. Seems everyone has really good things to say about the kits from AFI and their customer service for issues. Also believe that @tat2matt is running an AFI kit on his 60. Talking with some of the guys in the 40 section, some have reported upwards of 16mpg avg however the 40 is much smaller and lighter, but that was with a few pieces of armor, bigger tires, lift, etc., so possibly equaling the weight of a stock-ish 60??

Wonder if there has been any progress made on using the smaller FiTech setup that was in another thread. There was a small shop that was tweaking one on a 60 2F.

I've not dealt with altitude yet, but I can say that I'm knocining kn 15mpg with my 60 series with a trollhole carb. Still need a JimC distributor, so I'm giving up a little power but the truck runs great. I really like the EFI idea and I've converted my 68 roadrunner to Megasquirt 3 and it is a great upgrade. The 60 changes my opinion about how well a 2F can run with a carb and some patience.

Anyone who is in the fence about EFI questioning if a carb of some sort is what they want (aisin, pseudo-aisin/trollhole or Weber), I invite them to drive my truck and see how a well tuned 2F can get up and move!

Probably terribly. I've run up steep hills at speed in 3rd in 2hi (35mph) and it did it. I've never tried anything crazy in 4lo yet, but I'll try.

In 4lo and needing to stop early in the climb when it stalled..... It is terribly frustrating to get stuck like that when the only way up is winching... and the truck won't start or run to assist the battery for winching or climbing... and I had the hand throttle pulled out plenty far... no joy.

Time for fuel injection!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom