What am I doing wrong? She won’t start! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1984 BJ60 w/3B & after market turbo.

2 weeks ago she ran well once started she would crank a little slow and eventually start. I replaced the starter motor got a compression check, 425 psi across all 4, and she started well there after problem solved right.....? last night after no changes she would not start (cranked but no start) so I bled the filter housing, the fuel pump, cracked #1 injector all of which had no visible air within, the injector just squirted diesel normally, 6 seconds of cranking I stopped. I can’t figure this one out and need some help. Any advice? I am new to this engine.

Random Notes that may connect the dots:
I never put the plunger back down at all during start attempt, the filter housing would leak under priming plunger operation, the headlights stopped working right when the she would not start, no fuses are broken.

the filter housing would leak under priming plunger operation

Elaborate more on this.

Your fuel filter would leak fuel without the bleader cracked when you primed?

Most of the time when diesels won’t start its air in the fuel system. it sounds like you blead the system but just in case here’s a step by step.

Bleeding the 3b injection pump.
To bleed the air out of the injection system Crack the bleeder screw (circled in yellow) then untwist the pump (circled in red) till it springs up and pump till no more air comes out. Push the pump down and twist closed before closing the bleeder screw. Try that if it's still having problems you are going to have to crack the injector line top nuts all four (circled in green). crank the motor till diesel spills out of all of them, shouldent take long.
41D88CD6-AD85-4799-8449-AFBE648B03C8.jpeg

From here. Some info saved

If all that’s ok and it sounds like it could be you say the headlights stoped working at the same time which screams electrical issues.

To make sure that’s the issue take the injection pump connecting rod off the pump and edic motor then try to start. It should start but not be able to shut off.

The swing arm on the pump controlled by the edic motor push rod has three positions forward is no fuel, middle is running fuel. Rear is extra fuel.

Without the rod on the pump the swing arm floats at the center position. If the motor ever won’t shut off with the key simply push the swing arm forward.

If it starts without the rod on the pump your issues are with the edic motor or electrical system.

Last edited:
Inline engine fuses? They are on the positive lead near the battery

You can also try disconnecting the wire leads on the glow plug bar and manually glow it with a 12'ga wire from the batt pos for 10 seconds and crank it. A slow cranking motor won't catch if your glow system is not working. Be a good idea to pop you glow plugs out and check that they all work. I use a vice grip to grab the body and rest it on the batt neg terminal and use a short length of wire to connect the little threaded end of the plug to batt pos. If it works it should Smoke then glow in a few seconds. It doesn't take much to screw with starting an IDI engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom