were 100's ever part of a frame recall? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just saw a craigslist ad that said that a 2000 Land cruiser got a new frame replaced under a 2009 frame recall program, shipped in from California. Is this true? I searched google and I couldn't find anything about a frame recall for a Land Cruiser.
Thanks!

I don't think so, tacomas, and sequoias and some tundras. Mostly the Tacomas were replaced, make sense since it sold the most

Ah that's Jeep JL but 2018 ☺️
Jokes aside, what was the issue on tacos, tundra and sequoia frames?

In the frozen north, the frames would rust in half. It became a safety issue.

Oh nothing bad, just surface rust

44468025564_fcb4620ca1_b.jpg

I saw that ad as well. Scratching my head since I have owned a 2000 since new...

I still have it and the frame is fine.

The recall affects Toyota trucks that were driven in snow ridden states where they use salt and chemicals to treat the roads. NY and NJ being the absolute worse, never buy a truck from that region. I am a safety inspector i've seen some ish

I saw the ad too on the FB group.....

Last edited:
There was evidently a Domestic Frame Plant I think in Indiana that did not properly Galvanize frame members that Toyota used to build certain of these models.
They would rust ahead of their time and could break in half essentially.I hate when this happens by the way.

They were recalled and inspected and selected ones were replaced,my 01 Tundy was not one of the bad ones somehow?
I did have it inspected by a dealer who I also do a lot of work for and I like to think of myself as part of their family.

EVERYONE that has had one replaced that I have talked to has been thrilled beyond words explaining to me that they think they have a new truck now!
I was always concerned that no truck whose frame is replaced by any local mechanics that I have ever met could possibly be really "Right" again but it never happened to me and what do I know anyway?

As the 100 were all built in Japan and not part or any frames made here in that plant I can not imagine why they would be part of that recall.

@CBeckFJ As others have stated, I've never heard of Toyota frame recall for the 100 series as they were all built in Japan. The bad frames used on the Tacos and Tundras were built in the USA.

Anyhow, I've seen the Ad of the LC you're talking about. The owners live in Lexington which as you probably are aware is a very affluent town. So, if they bought this one new they probably have the paperwork to document the frame replacement. HOWEVER, even if it was replaced in 2009, it's been on Boston roads for the past 10 years so it will be crusty underneath if they didn't do anything to treat the metal. Still probably in better shape than yours. What's troubling is the mention of rusty bodywork and stuffing of bondo.

Take a close look at this one and get a PPI done. The local Yota dealer in that area is known for ridiculously high repair quotes so I would schedule a PPI with them and use it to negotiate with the seller. Good luck - let me know if I can help - I'm only about 20 min from Lexington.

@CBeckFJ As others have stated, I've never heard of Toyota frame recall for the 100 series as they were all built in Japan. The bad frames used on the Tacos and Tundras were built in the USA.

Anyhow, I've seen the Ad of the LC you're talking about. The owners live in Lexington which as you probably are aware is a very affluent town. So, if they bought this one new they probably have the paperwork to document the frame replacement. HOWEVER, even if it was replaced in 2009, it's been on Boston roads for the past 10 years so it will be crusty underneath if they didn't do anything to treat the metal. Still probably in better shape than yours. What's troubling is the mention of rusty bodywork and stuffing of bondo.

Take a close look at this one and get a PPI done. The local Yota dealer in that area is known for ridiculously high repair quotes so I would schedule a PPI with them and use it to negotiate with the seller. Good luck - let me know if I can help - I'm only about 20 min from Lexington.
Next year, since I would not have to get the OBD sensors checked (the second big reason my truck failed), I might take it in to a few of my local Toyota dealers and see what they say during an inspection. I saw a case on a service website of a 2001 with a lot of rust and a small hole pass inspection by a Toyota dealer.

I knew aboutf the frame recall on early Tacoma and Tundra frames but it looks like the problems contiumed with the
2007-08 Toyota Tundra, 2005-10 Tacoma and 2005-08 Sequoia.

Toyota will settle truck frame rust suit for up to $3.4 billion

I have never heard of a recall on any of the Japanese built trucks though I did have a co-worker whose early 90's pickup's frame snapped in half going over some railroad tracks.

An interesting time lapse video of a Tacoma frame swap.

I think I remember that Dana was the subcontractor that built the recalled frames. One of my friends had his Taco done recently. Experienced dealer. Seemed to go well. Unfortunately our 02 Sequoia missed the recall.

Tacoma, Tundra, and Sequoia were part of the recall. They had America made frames I believe made by Dana in Ohio. Tacoma I want to say was full C-channel, Tundra partly C-channel, and not 100% sure about the sequoias (although I should know better as I was looking at a rusty one up on a lift a few weeks ago at my brother’s work. I am 99.9% sure they had a boxed frame throughout but it was so rotted I was more focused on the rust than what kind of frame it was haha).

Land Cruiser and 4Runners were made in Japan with fully boxed frames using better steel and better rust protection so they held up better and were not part of the recall. You’ll see rust still in the northern states, but nothing like the American built Toyota trucks.

I just saw a craigslist ad that said that a 2000 Land cruiser got a new frame replaced under a 2009 frame recall program, shipped in from California. Is this true? I searched google and I couldn't find anything about a frame recall for a Land Cruiser.
Thanks!

Reading between the lines, I'd say that they replaced the frame themselves from a used California truck and are trying to obfuscate the facts for some reason by claiming if was part of a recall. Maybe their frame had other damage and they want to pin the replacement on something that sounds more legitimate?

@CBeckFJ Reach out to the seller to see what kind of documentation he has on the frame swap. If it was done at IRA Toyota, it wasn't cheap.

The recall affects Toyota trucks that were driven in snow ridden states where they use salt and chemicals to treat the roads. NY and NJ being the absolute worse, never buy a truck from that region. I am a safety inspector i've seen some ish
Thats not entirely true. Some people take care of their trucks during and after winter. I had a 98 Tacoma with the rust issue and Toyota bought the truck back 1.5X KBB so I was happy but they sure need to do something about this junk steel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom