Weird axle swap (1 Viewer)

‘Mud,

I have a 1977 FJ40 and I have axles from a 1993 FZJ80. I plan to swap the 80 axles under the 40. I want to go SUA, yes SUA not SOA. I plan getting custom made Alcan Springs.

What problems could I run into? Complications with brakes, e-locker wiring, different driveshaft flanges, etc.?

Would high steer be better for clearing the springs?

What are your thoughts?

If I recall the differential on a 80 is pretty far to the passenger side on a front 80 axle. I think it will be in the way for where a leaf spring will need to go. You can easily widen a fj60 axle to be as wide as a 80 axle by using housing spacers from 4 plus products. You would get the 9.5 differential and have clearance for leaf springs.

If I recall the differential on a 80 is pretty far to the passenger side on a front 80 axle. I think it will be in the way for where a leaf spring will need to go. You can easily widen a fj60 axle to be as wide as a 80 axle by using housing spacers from 4 plus products. You would get the 9.5 differential and have clearance for leaf springs.

Having the diff in the way would be a pretty major problem.

What’s the benefit of the 9.5 diff over the high pinion 8?

Lil'John

SILVER Star
On the rear axle, you will end up spending hours upon hours grinding brackets off:bang: I did a narrowed FJ80 rear axle in my FJ55 on revision 0.5. Not a big deal other than the god awful amount of grinding ;)

I didn't screw with the front axle. But if I recall right, there is an issue with steering parts being the in the way.

Lil'John

SILVER Star
Here is a before picture of the FJ80 rear full float:
lj_rearaxle1.JPG

Here is 10-12 hours later of grinding/cleaning:
lj_housing1.JPG

lj_housing2.JPG

For spring under, you will need to cut into the ribbing:
axle2_small.JPG

axle3_small.JPG

In my case, it was narrowed to 55" wide thus the large amount of cut in the first of the spring pad cuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom