Water in my rear differential WTH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my FJ80 was making new noises, so I popped the filler plug and saw this grey soup ( water and oil mix), I have good seals, vent tube good. I do not do deep water crossings, so I changed the oil and it still vibrates and does not sound right, so I am thinking new seal and bearings, when I drained it no garbage in it besides a gritty material. Did I miss something, also can I remove my rear drive shaft and lock my center diff and go front wheel drive

Make sure the breather is clear, or remove and add piece of fuel line and inline filter. Condensation from heating and cooling could be building up.

Vibrates? Something for sure is not right. If you're certain it's diff and not driveshaft, a full tear down is in order. But yes, it will drive fine in front wheel drive. I did that recently for about 2 weeks and no big deal. You seem to know you'll need to lock the center so all will be well.

Is there a lot of excess slop in the pinion?

Vibrates? Something for sure is not right. If you're certain it's diff and not driveshaft, a full tear down is in order. But yes, it will drive fine in front wheel drive. I did that recently for about 2 weeks and no big deal. You seem to know you'll need to lock the center so all will be well.

Is there a lot of excess slop in the pinion?

Well after crawling underneath, and looking, I found out my universal has died, so that is my vibration, I had rebuilt it 2 years ago and check my work, it had spit a clip and pushed one of the cups out. Hey thank you everyone, I have a spare rear drive line until I rebuild this one. Also I have been dealing with a shady character, lately, I had just serviced my front end, replaced a seal and filled it with gear oil, I checked my front just for, good feelings and it was bone dry, no oil in the birf's just no gear oil, this guy is the kind of person to sabotage peoples things, I am no longer dealing with him.

Differentials don't generally vibrate without something being obviously wrong, like a bad pinion bearing. Drive shafts are much more likely to be a vibration problem.

Differentials don't generally vibrate without something being obviously wrong, like a bad pinion bearing. Drive shafts are much more likely to be a vibration problem.

I was just paranoid, and that's the first place i looked, and during my second look, I found out it is the drive shaft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom