Warn 8274 winch solenoid (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Open it up and look inside the case to rule out any engagement/gear issues. It's just 3 allen head bolts.

Check your solenoids. Pull the motor and inspect. Don't know what else to tell you at this point.

Does it work like a clutch? JD

Only in the sense of friction. When the motor is off or bogged down, the harder you pull on the line the harder the brake cam forces the friction pads of the brake to grip the rotor. With no load, it should spool in easily.

I had to drag a fairly large tree off the road a few weeks ago and noticed for the first time my spool slipping and letting cable out under a load. I had to simultaneously drive in reverse and operate the switch to keep from losing sufficient cable tension. Maybe it is a brake issue. I had never had a problem with this unit before this so I'm ashamed at how little I know about it's operation. And apologies to '74 UA FJ for jumping in on his thread. Shame on me. JD

No problem with jumping in on the thread. It was dead anyway. I pulled apart a solenoid and know all I need to know, now.

where did you order it from?
i need to get a new pack for mine...
cheers
My new relay pack came in and it works great. It came with a new control cable,cover and power lead.

Gents,

Does anyone know the contact rating of either of the two Albright units below?

Superwinch unit for $100
Superwinch 90-14452 - Superwinch Replacement Solenoids - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Warn unit for $200
Amazon.com: WARN 34971 Contractor, 12V, SW, W/FACTOR Y Bracket: Automotive

Here is a link to Albright's specs. The Superwinch 90-14452 that many folks (including me) are using is Albright P/N DC88P; look down to the top of page 7 and the specs are there. If you look at the "Contact Performance" curve in upper right of that page, you will see that this contactor is rated at 100 amps for continuous (non-stop) use, 200 amps for 350 seconds (5.8 minutes), 300 amps for 160 seconds (2.6 minutes), and 400 amps for 75 seconds, and up to 800 amps for a very short time (such as winch motor start-up).

http://www.albrightinternational.com/files/downloads/catalogues/SW80%20CATALOGUE.pdf

Thanks for the info.

I asked the same question to Albright, and here's their reply:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear A. Ali,

Thank you for your Email.

The item shown in the following is not of Albright manufacture. It appears to be a counterfeit of our DC88P contactor, although it is hard to confirm as there are no ratings associated with this contactor.

Superwinch 90-14452 - Superwinch Replacement Solenoids - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I am surprised to see the the ‘Warn’ configuration on Amazon. I cannot confirm if this is original or a copy. Either way information for this contactor should be obtained from Warn (www,Warn.com) as it is their labelled product.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000OV6JKA/ref=nosim/5336090984-20

To ensure original Albright products I recommend you contact Curtis, our authorised USA distributor, they will either deal direct or pass you to one of their nearer distributors. They will assist in the selection of the contactor, ensuring it is correct for your application.

You can contact Mr Jay Merkle MERKLEJ@curtisinst.com.

Has anyone used that superwinch contacter with good results? Or poor results?

Thanks for the info.

Dear A. Ali,

Thank you for your Email.

The item shown in the following is not of Albright manufacture. It appears to be a counterfeit of our DC88P contactor, although it is hard to confirm as there are no ratings associated with this contactor.

I am surprised to see the the ‘Warn’ configuration on Amazon. I cannot confirm if this is original or a copy. Either way information for this contactor should be obtained from Warn (www,Warn.com) as it is their labelled product.

Amazon.com: WARN 34971 Contractor, 12V, SW, W/FACTOR Y Bracket: Automotive

To ensure original Albright products I recommend you contact Curtis, our authorised USA distributor, they will either deal direct or pass you to one of their nearer distributors. They will assist in the selection of the contactor, ensuring it is correct for your application.

You can contact Mr Jay Merkle MERKLEJ@curtisinst.com.

That is interesting information; I'm surprised that a company as reputable as Superwinch would use a counterfeit product. Makes me wonder what mine is really rated, and if I should spring for a real Albright.

Has anyone used that superwinch contacter with good results? Or poor results?

I'm using it currently and it has always worked so far. Haven't made any real long/hard pulls with it yet though.

Yeah, let's not to jump to conclusions just yet. I just wanted to get us thinking a bit on these contactors.

Yeah, let's not to jump to conclusions just yet. I just wanted to get us thinking a bit on these contactors.

Sorry, I thought it was Albright's conclusion already:

... The item shown in the following is not of Albright manufacture. It appears to be a counterfeit of our DC88P contactor ...

It has definitely got me thinking about them again.

Can we use the equation $200 unit is better than $100 unit? LOL!!!

Couple of questions for you..

Did you guys get any more information on the authenticity of the Superwinch? Warn? I noticed the price difference.

I'm looking to replace my old mechanical solenoid on my Warn M8000. I see the Albright DC88P seems to be the popular model. Who in the US sells it? I tried looking on the net and am finding places in Europe.

Thanks,

Summit racing mate, the link is posted all over these threads

Summit racing mate, the link is posted all over these threads

There was some discussion about those Superwinch solenoids that they were actually chinese copies. I was looking to see if anyone had any actual evidence opposed to speculation.

Here's some more info on these 3 different solenoid packs ......

First here's the Warn from Amazon at $199.54:

41u2tB6KkIL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the Superwinch form Summit @ $96.99:

spw-90-14452_w.jpg

Here's the Albright from Tecknowledgey @ $171.00 (see:Tecknowledgey - Albright, DC88P for their web site):

lg-dc88p.jpg

You can see that although they are close in appearance, there are some significant differences.
The top molding of the package is different on each, as are the top terminal locations and the area around the switching terminals, as well as the front 2 philips screw's placement.
The Superwinch and Albright 'seem' to be the closest match, but there is still some obvious differences in their cases (at least).

Without the data for each (IMHO) it's a bit of a dice toss as to them being electrically the same .........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom