Warn 8274 winch solenoid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a couple of questions here...

1) Where can I buy a solenoid for the old 8274 winch? I recently swapped some tires for an older 8274 and one of the solenoids was bad. I am using a ford starter solenoid for the moment but would like to have the heavy duty solenoid on it like it should have.

2) Can these solenoids be rebuilt? Does anyone have experience with this? It looks like I could drill out the 4 rivets and dive in, but it'd be nice to have some direction beforehand.

Thanks.

I'm curious too. I have a 8074 with one bad solenoid.

Bryan

If you want the old style solenoid, you can get them on ebay. Warn will sell you the new style. If you want an upgrade, get the Albright water proof ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if they could be rebuilt if you have enough time and talent.

I had 2 bad ones and some rust. I ended up getting a whole relay assembly. it was about 250 but I think it will be worth it.

I pulled apart my solenoid yesterday, fixed it, and re-riveted the plate back to the case.

The problem was one of the outside lugs had turned, causing the circular copper conductor inside to not be able to make contact with both lugs at the same time when activated.

Just one Albright contactor.

You need a double pole, double throw solenoid to switch the polarity. You can make this up with 4 single pole, single throw solenoids (the old school Warn way), two single pole, double throw solenoids (the new Warn or Chinese way) or with a single DPDT solenoid (the Albright way).

If you want the old style solenoid, you can get them on ebay. Warn will sell you the new style. If you want an upgrade, get the Albright water proof ones.
I wouldn't be surprised if they could be rebuilt if you have enough time and talent.

Albright is the way to go 3 years and not a problem in my 8274 Winch.

Mounted inside the engine bay near the brake master cylinder.

What are the symptoms of a non-functional solenoid? My 8274 has been getting weaker and weaker on the 'wind in.' The other day it just stopped winding cable completely. The motor will turn but the spool doesn't (except in the 'out' direction). JD

That is not a solenoid problem. Doesn't make sense that the motor would run and the spool not unless a tooth was shucked or a spline stripped. Both are very unlikely. How do you know the motor is still turning?

How do you know the motor is still turning?

Hmmmm, maybe I should think a little more about the symptoms. If I switch it to 'out' it seems to work perfectly. If I switch it to 'in' it will sometimes turn the spool a half a turn or two and then stop. And, like I said, it has been getting weaker and weaker over the last couple months. JD

May be a wiring problem on your remote. Make sure the pins on the part that plugs into the winch haven't slid back away from the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom