voltage regulator triage, Any other wires to check to rule out ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
97 Cruiser, Stock Denso
marked on the Alternator "Regulator built in 07"
Toyota 27060-66070
101211 5270
Denso 10R24 (stamped)

Symptoms Alternator/charge light on under 2,000 RPM's :confused: .......
This all started after driving thru heavy rain (Yes sometimes it rains hard in Phoenix :p )
I took out the alternator, changed the brushes with Toyota OEM.. Old ones where almost finished but I tossed them and did not measure their length just figured I'd trow the new ones in there and call it a day..

Also while I was doing this I replaced the fusible links, put in a brand new battery, and belts (all Toyota parts except the battery). Plus I of-course cleaned up all the connections scraped them fresh to ensure a good connection.

Put it all back together and :bang: :censor:still the same charge/alternator light below 2,000 RPM's and the gage stuck on 12V Not above or below... Drove it to Autozone, they tested the Alternator and said it is most likely the regulator but they could not rule out anything else? Could I have possibly put in the brushes in wrong? It's not like they fit in backwars or anything.. It seems like it's a no brainer.. I hope I'm not that retarded :hillbilly:....

From what I have been able to search and read here a voltage regulator would read higher voltage? Is this correct? So how can I 100% rule out or in that it is in fact the regulator?

So since I don't want to get an Autozone/Checkers alternator at $140, And I just put in new brushes on my Denso, And toyota wants $200 for the regulator..:mad:

What else can I test or check,... wires, relays, other connections? etc.. before I go drop another $200 on a regulator and pull the alternator again! :bang::mad::(

Last edited:
Shameless bump.. Anyone?
My plan today is to track down all wires and connections in and out of the starter.. clean, sand clean and re attach make sure all contacts and wires are good.. May even update or upgrade the wires with new JIC... ?

Have you tried cleaning up the ground to frame/body contact points also?

If the regulator is stuffed, it isn't worth replacing. Would get a Denso brand reman alternator. Give a call or stop by.

Denso reman is about $140, so certainly don't buy the in-store junk. Also look at Amazon - if you have Prime, you can get it same/next day for that price.

You could not have installed the brushes the wrong way, so I would say the regulator took a bath and that's that.

You could not have installed the brushes the wrong way, so I would say the regulator took a bath and that's that.

Obviously Sir, you do NOT know the OP well enough to realize that he is MORE than capable of doing just about anything/everything wrong! All he needs is a big enough HAMMER.

Obviously Sir, you do NOT know the OP well enough to realize that he is MORE than capable of doing just about anything/everything wrong! All he needs is a big enough HAMMER.

:hillbilly:

Thanks everyone.. I broke down and orederd a Denso reman.. Ill call it a day,...:bang:
At least all my wireing is nice and clean.. re wrapped and all my ground pints and connections nice and shiny! ;)

You mean I'm not supposed to hit it with the sledge hammer ? :grinpimp::doh:
:worms:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom