Very wet passenger footwell - sunroof / roof rack bolt? - cant replicate with dye (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hiya all,

Looking for some advice on next steps. Have 100 series 1HDFTE.

Decent amount of water coming into the vehicle in rain, the carpet at passenger footwell is extremely wet, car getting that lovely moldy smell.

Has both a sunroof and roof Racks which I am assuming that (and from reading through the forums) one of these is the culprit. Also on the passenger side the, taking the carpet up along the outside of the truck, looking under the electrical cable also was pretty wet at the back corner (back seats) Noting I do park on a bit of a hill, sometimes facing up, sometimes facing down. so water could be moving around. Also no visible water damage around on the interiors near the sunroof.

Pretty confident not the roof rack drains, they are running clear.

Before I replace the sunroof seal and take off roof racks to seal the bolts, I poured like 10 litres of water with blue food dye first into the roof rack rails and then over the sunroof and also across the windscreen for good measure. Annoyingly none of these tests had any water or blue water appearing at the footwell or along the gutter at the side. Cant replicate the leak.

My question here is - does this test mean nothing, that is, still probably one of these and the fact no water coming through because of time or volume of water and I should just ignore? are there any other potential culprits I should look at?

I am thinking to take roof rack off and silicone the bolts and see if that fixes it when it rains, if not, cover the sunroof to see if that fixes it, then if it does, replace the sunroof seal. If it still leaks then scream at the heavens.

Comments, advice very welcome.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

did this start recently?
has the windshield been replaced?

Hi, it’s being happening for a while, probably 18 months. I have had the windscreen replaced maybe 8 months ago but issue preceded that.

As my door gaskets have gotten older I’ve actually been seeing some water come in to that area from the front corner of the rear door (drivers side in my case) and depending on how I’m parked either the front floorboard is wet or the rear floorboard.

I am telling myself it is gasket and the door not being tweaked…

IMG_2124.jpeg

IMG_2125.jpeg

Last edited:
It seems rare but, I found if the seal under the hood that clips into the plastic cowl isnt seated correctly water can pass underneath through the plastic cowl clip holes and make its way down through the area with the blower motor over the lip and onto the floor mat.

Any chance of rust around your windshield/windscreen related to a prior improper install? This was the culprit for me (unfortunately).

I can spray water directly onto my sunroof seal and it won't leak (even the pressure washer doesn't cause a leak); it pours like a sieve at the carwash. I wash the cars at home now. It's either the sunroof seal, or a bad windshield seal. If it was the doorseal, you'd have water in the door as well as the footwell.

It seems rare but, I found if the seal under the hood that clips into the plastic cowl isnt seated correctly water can pass underneath through the plastic cowl clip holes and make its way down through the area with the blower motor over the lip and onto the floor mat.
Hi, having the same issue, and looking for culprit as well, maybe you can explain in more detail which seal is it that you had issues with? maybe a picture? Is it under the hood, or under the fresh air screen? Thanks a lot!

Isn't this a common issue for a clogged up AC condenser drain which is under the glove box area.

Isn't this a common issue for a clogged up AC condenser drain which is under the glove box area.
Where would the water come from in threat case, front of the footwell? I am pretty dry higher up. Also seems after rain vs when I have driven the truck.

As my door gaskets have gotten older I’ve actually been seeing some water come in to that area from the front corner of the rear door (drivers side in my case) and depending on how I’m parked either the front floorboard is wet or the rear floorboard.

I am telling myself it is gasket and the door not being tweaked…

View attachment 3430029
View attachment 3430030
I have the same issue, mainly drivers side and I’ve also seen the water leak from the side front corner of the front door

I'd be inclined to duct tape around that tweaked door the next time rain is coming and see if that changes anything. I don't see any way that door doesn't leak.
At least that would take one thing out of the mix. Good luck.

I'm also suffering from water ingress. I recently bought the wagon, so discovering all the new issues with very little info. I get water in the drivers side (right hand drive) - the carpet is damp/wet AND there's water in the rubber floor mat which appears to be dripping from somewhere above the accelerator pedal. A quick feel around up into the wiring area above said pedal is also wet - which is not good - water and wiring are not usually a good idea. At first I thought it was the heater core leaking. Since I bought the vehicle in summer and it was dry when I bought it and I found it damp after using the heater. The heater also doesn't blow hot, so I'm not sure what's going on there. A/C doesn't blow very cold, but does blow a little cold, I had the gas checked and it's low. The motor has had extensive work done, but I'm not sure it's ever been completely out - so I don't know if the A/C is leaking or just low on gas. The photos show water after overnight rain and vehicle parked on a slight downhill toward the front.

All the fun of chasing down old cruiser issues. The carpet is pretty much gone now, but I need to chase out the leaks before I replace it. I can see rust forming along the top of the windscreen seal - nothing seems to be bubbling, but no idea how bad it is until the screen comes out. Pulling the whole dash to get to the heater core is also not something I'm terribly excited about. So befoire pulling the windscreen or the whole dash, I'd love to hear of some way to test/check for leaks to see if I get lucky. Thanks team.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 4.00.47 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 4.00.37 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 4.00.30 PM.png

I had water in passenger footwell, I am quite sure it is a leak from the windscreen, some gaffer tape seemed to mostly fix it. Been meaning to have it properly looked at by windscreen guy but if your windscreen is rusting this might be it.

Check on the underside of the car.
On both side there are three slits in the bidy where the water comes out from the sunroof drains.
They might be blocked as mine were when I had the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom