Valve cover - paint or powder coat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just getting some parts powder coated and wondered about the valve cover. Mine is a 69 F motor so the valve cover is black, or was once. Is powder coat a good idea? And should I do inside and outside or just outside?

I have googled it and found some folk saying it can peel off the inside and get into the engine. I guess the same could happen with paint. Also some saying the powder coat finish isn't smooth enough to prevent leaks and the cover can warp in the process.

Any experience on this would be appreciated.

Al

I don't know if you are having any leaking issues but I swapped my valve cover for a 2F cover and seal. No more leaks. But if you're staying period correct stick with the steel cover. I just painted the outside - I'm not certain but seems to make sense about the paint on the inside. Seems unnecessary too since you have oil inside lubricating things so shouldn't be any significant rust issues.

Probably no absolute correct aswer here. I personally wouldn't bother spraying the pan innards, but I don't see why you shouldn't powder coat the inside if that's your preference. Powder coat would look nice on the outside. The advantage to paint is if it gets dinged you can scuff the area an respray to match.

I think I will just give it a quick rub down and spray for the moment. All I have to do now is wait for the gasket to come into stock......

I used hi temp spray, has held up great!

I used hi temp spray, has held up great!

I did wonder whether hi-temp would be necessary. I guess the valve cover is going to be the same temp (or only slightly less) than the oil in the block.

I had mine powder coated. To each their own, whatever works best for you and makes you happy.

I had mine powder coated. To each their own, whatever works best for you and makes you happy.

did you do inside and out or just the outside?

I wouldn't do anything to the inside except clean it. I cant imagine anything sticking good to the inside of an old valve cover, and I would be scared it would come off and lodge in an oil return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom