Vague steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry I am sure this has been asked a thousand time but I am getting a bit confused where to go next, please help. My steering is a bit scary, go into 4th gear and it’s like nothing is connected anymore. Not had the truck long, she has original power steering (I think), I had the box reconditioned but it made no difference. So I changed the damper which was scrap, but it made no difference. The tyres are oversized which I guess isn’t helping but it should be a thousand times better than it is. What do I do next chaps?
IMG_2197.png

Provide some pictures of the steering components you are dealing with so the rest of us can chime in!

Thanks Byron very much appreciate it, I have changed the damper since the pics
IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2117.jpeg
IMG_2116.jpeg
IMG_2118.jpeg

Do each step and report back.

1. Have someone rotate steering wheel back and forth to inspect all tie rods and input/output of steering box including rag joint/steering coupler. Do this with truck on ground.
2. If slop is from input (intermediate) shaft into steering box, box needs a rebuild/adjustment or the rag joint has slop.
3. If slop is at tie rods, replace failed joints.
4. If no slop is found at any joint, adjust/check drag link end....tighten end plug completely, then back off 1/2 turn.
5. Next do the steering center arm. Easier to jack front end up for this as well. Grease the zerk, rotate wheel lock to lock, then loosen top lock bolt and tighten the big 24mm nut fully, then back off 1/4 turn. Tighten lockbolt.
6. While truck is in air, inspect for wheel bearing/knuckle bearing play and inspect leaf spring bushings and check/torque leaf spring u-bolts.
7. If all of that checks out then check alignment. Zero out your toe and then do 1/8" toe-in.

Thanks I will get on to that tomorrow, there was play in the box so I thought I found the issue, I was surprised it didn’t sort it out when I put the box back on when it came back from the shop. I also thought the same when I took the old damper off and it was dead. Thanks for the help I didn’t know how to tackle the drag link. Nothing looks like it’s seen any grease for a while so that can’t of helped

Yea pump everything up with grease and see if things improve.
Is the box fully adjusted? Mine had a half turn on the steering wheel when I got it. 5 mins adjusting the box made a massive difference.

You might like a little bit more of toe-in with larger tires. I'm closer to 1/4" with 37s.
You can get pretty close with just a tape measure and some chalk.

The one tie rod end looks loose as evidence of the rust on the threads. Make sure the clamp is tight on the rusty tie rod

Thanks all, I am pretty sure there is no slack in the box any more but how do you adjust it please or check it.
I will try greasing everything up to. Thinking naught best to change all the tierods as they are probably well worn.

There's an adjuster on the side - a flat blade screwdriver, with a locknut securing it.
Hold the screw still while you loosen the lock nut, then tighten the screw 1/4 turn and then tighten the lock nut.
Test the result.
Repeat until the slack disappears.
When the wheel turns about 10cm before the tyres move then its about perfect.

If it feels too tight then reverse the adjustment.

I did 555 TREs, rebuilt center arm, rebuilt drag link, replaced bent tie Rod, had my alignment prochecked (iwas off an inch after new tires installed... toed out had me all over the road)
My steering is better than ever! I still have a few inches of play, but can't get that adjust nut to turn. Soak it in PB every so often.

I know my ragout joint is very worn and will replace that when i rebuild my box. I am dreading this job cuz that crusty old box is gonna be a bear after 47 years!

I made a half hearted attempt at pulling the arm off while i was doing the rest of the steering, but i was also doing the front knuckles/brakes swap at that time... and i just wanted to DRIVE IT!

Even tempted to buy an extra steering box to swap in.

I want to enjoy this rig in the southern NM sunshine all winter😁🚜🚜🚜

version=1&uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000029B&mode=compatible&noloc=1.jpeg

I forgot to say.. check the oil level in the box too - sounds like the seals were replaced, but otherwise the consensus seems to be to fill it with grease and never worry again.

Thanks that really helpful, hopefully because the boxes has been reconditioned the ajuster nut won’t be sized. I will give it all ago, it’s great fun going out in her with my daughter but would be much better if we could go further and faster safer.

I think I need to drain the power steering, I didn’t take the box off, but I put it back on. I couldn’t see the level in the reservoir so I filled it with 32 Triad oil which I had. When I ran it and it circulated the original fluid came round which is blue. Not sure if it’s going to make any difference being mixed but I guess I should change it all.

I imported her from Bali in the summer and it’s only been up the road a mile or two since it got registered last month so I am trying to sort then issues. My guess is nothing mechanical has had much love

You will want to read up on caster. The shims help restore caster back to the OEM spec. The search function will be helpful I'm sure that there are others but Valley Hybrids sells a shim kit. You may have to drill your leaf springs to accept a larger diameter pin.

Thanks Green Bean. So the shim goes on top of the leafs. Sorry for sounding stupid are casters the same as shackles? The steering might be a bit beyond me so I have booked her in a shop. I was wondering if the drag link part could be the issue. Think I might just swap it all out and get it set up correctly because it’s going to massively improve my enjoyment with the truck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom