Vacuum Gauge as Diagnostic tool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read some stuff about a vacuum gauge being a very useful tool for diagnosing engine issues.

So I was thinking about installing a vacuum gauge permanently inside the cabin so it would always be visible.

Does anyone think this is useful?
Has anyone done this?
Where did you install the gauge?
Where did you tee it off of inside the engine compartment?
How did you run vacuum line from engine compartment into cabin?

thanks

Paging Klinetime.... Klinetime answer the blue phone.

He has one set up like you want and is VERY knowlegable about a wealth of things.

:)

back in the day, many cars had OEM vacuum gauges....so yes it helpful

Does anyone think this is useful?
Has anyone done this?
Where did you install the gauge?
Where did you tee it off of inside the engine compartment?
How did you run vacuum line from engine compartment into cabin?

I have done it. I'm on my phone at the moment. Let me see what I can do

Here is a link to a post in my ROTM thread. I have since relocated the gauge to below the HVAC controls near the shifter. I can post a pic of that later.

LINK

I think the photos answer most of your questions too :)

The gauge is good to judge engine performance. Would detect a leak immediately. And you could theoretically use it to increase mileage by driving carefully. I have a graphic I saw on here I'll post later too.

PS- thanks for the rep FARMAN :D

This is seriously the best picture I could find of it in the current location. I'll take one tomorrow for you.

Obviously it's the gauge that isn't stock in the photo. I like it because I just glance down at it and it isn't always dancing in my face. It moves a lot.

And the vacuum chart I was talking about, never really had that with me to see whats going on, but I know steady vacuum is good :) It's kinda hard to read. Sorry about that.

IMG_3535.jpg

vacuum chart.jpg

I put a vacuum gauge on the dash (on my '74 FJ55). Used the aft-most small threaded hole in the intake manifold (not the brake booster hole) for the vacuum source..
I find it very useful in daily driving.

Follow the link in post #4 and you'll see mine fitted where the "gas filter" went for an FJ60. Closer to the radiator opposite of the brake booster vacuum source.

Yeah I have seen yours before but you have a weber carb right? I still have the stock Aisin with the vacuum lines going to that area..

Oh and for a better pic of vacuum gauge readings I just search Vacuum Gauge reading as it pertains to motor tune-up, plenty of images came back.

Yes sir I have a Weber carb. If you're desmogged you probably aren't using the gas filter are you?

Just tee in where it is convenient. As long as it doesn't leak you're good. Closer to the intake the better.

I have one installed. I did it when I couldn't get the TBI to tune so It was a diagnostic tool. I since figured out the TBI issue. FOr me it was helpfull but I don't know if I really give it much notice these days.

I can take pictures...what do you want a picture of?
SWEET!!!
Ok so where you have it actually hooked to the engine (t off the gas filter or where ever) and then how you have it routed and into/through the firewall.

Thank you all for the very good feedback and suggestions.
I'll be doing this.

Now I am trying to decided If I just want the single gauge mount under the dash like Klines or if I want to go with a pod on the A-pillar.

I took a better picture!

image-2485849820.jpg

image-2485849820.jpg

The PO gets credit for this one, i like the good fit of the gauge since its not obstructing under dash space.

It is measuring vacuum off the intake manifold, from a fitting back near cylinder 5.

image-1403997377.jpg

T-O do you know what size gauge that is? That is an awesome place for it albeit a bit out of the way for a quick glance down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom