v8 conversion vs LC100 v8 (cost and driving experience) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I drive a 2016 LC and don't want to touch it for a while but have been thinking of adding another LC to the fleet. I am looking specifically at either FJ80 and do a v8 conversion or LC100. I feel with the classic fj80 and LS1 or LS2 v8 I will be getting decent power, torque and gas mileage than the stock 6cyl engine. What advice do you have for me in thinking of going this rabbit hole?

I am interested to learn about your experience with your fj80 after you made your v8 conversion (in your garage or professionally done) and how would you rate your daily driving experience with the V8 (was it what you expected or worse). Additionally, if you had to do it all over again, would you have bought a 100 or 200 with 4.7 or 5.7 v8 instead?

what are you wanting to do with the truck? honestly if it was me and i could do it all over again and had a good budget i would just buy a 70 series.

what are you wanting to do with the truck? honestly if it was me and i could do it all over again and had a good budget i would just buy a 70 series.
Occasional driving and off-roading/light rock crawling. So 70 series Diesel v8?

I built a HJ75 Diesel a couple of years ago...

It is awesome for offroad ... But I find my HJ47 or Jeep TJ are just easier to deal with and I worry less about damage..

Let's clear the air first, I am bias. That said, OP you will hear a wide variety of responses to this question. What you should do is find examples of any vehicle that you are considering and see if you can't take it for a spin.

I can tell you that putting a LS/Vortec conversion into an 80 is a game changer. I agree with Mike above, it is not necessary, that applies to a great many of those mods we all like to do to our trucks. The difference being than now you can merge into traffic on the interstate at 60 MPH rather than 40. You can pass out on that same interstate without having to plan it out on a down hill run. You can go into any auto store and get every last part for that motor, either in stock or at their warehouse.

As to a swapped 80 or a 100 series, that will all boil down to what your particular taste is. They have a totally different feel, both on an off road. Give Tor a call and see if he has anything around that you can look over and perhaps take for a spin. He'll treat you right on a swap too if that is the direction you choose.

Let's clear the air first, I am bias. That said, OP you will hear a wide variety of responses to this question. What you should do is find examples of any vehicle that you are considering and see if you can't take it for a spin.

I can tell you that putting a LS/Vortec conversion into an 80 is a game changer. I agree with Mike above, it is not necessary, that applies to a great many of those mods we all like to do to our trucks. The difference being than now you can merge into traffic on the interstate at 60 MPH rather than 40. You can pass out on that same interstate without having to plan it out on a down hill run. You can go into any auto store and get every last part for that motor, either in stock or at their warehouse.

As to a swapped 80 or a 100 series, that will all boil down to what your particular taste is. They have a totally different feel, both on an off road. Give Tor a call and see if he has anything around that you can look over and perhaps take for a spin. He'll treat you right on a swap too if that is the direction you choose.

Thanks. I did call Tor yesterday on this and got more data on the conversion and I wouldn't have it done any other way. Here is why I am contemplating fj80 + v8 conversion vs. LC100:

- I test drove few fj80s and while I love the classic look the truck is slow on a highway comparing to my 2016 and also other trucks I've owned through out the years (primarily v8s).
- The extra HP and torque of a v8 is always nice to have
- Gas mileage (on the forum I see that mostly folks are enjoying at least 20-30% better fuel economy)
- The v8 roar underneath that hood with the Fj80 body style (I've seen lots of TLC videos showing their fj80 resto-mods with vortec and they sound amazing)
- I can get a triple locked fj80 and with Tor's v8 conversion which will cost $25K in total (this is where I am questioning the investment and thinking of considering also a 03-06 LC100 for that purpose)
- Yes I agree v8 isn't necessary but nice to have if you can afford it.

I get the LC100 drives different (more creature comfort) than the 80 (I test drove a 99 LC100 and 2005 LX470) and comparing that to a LX 450 or 96 fj80, I feel the fj80 is just also different class by itself and feels more solid with the triple lockers, and solid axels. Less complex electronics to deal also than LC100 IMO. I know I sound biased towards the fj80 so I am hoping one of you can prove me wrong here :)

I will take your advice and ask Tor if he can show me a fj80 with v8 conversion and if I could ride it.

Also the 80 just looks better IMHO :bounce: never like the rear stop lights of the 100 series :deadhorse:

I wanted V8 power, but loved my 80, just so much character. So, I decided to have the best of both worlds and had a 100 Series drive-train in my 80... Been almost 2 years now and its just perfect...

F3F45848-93DD-4F9F-ADC6-631C45E0D0B1_zpsfps0hqhu.jpg

I wanted V8 power, but loved my 80, just so much character. So, I decided to have the best of both worlds and had a 100 Series drive-train in my 80... Been almost 2 years now and its just perfect...

F3F45848-93DD-4F9F-ADC6-631C45E0D0B1_zpsfps0hqhu.jpg

Ya gotta love Christo's workmanship. Top cabin stuff. :beer:

Honestly, if you're not using it for trails or rock crawling etc... I'd go with a 100 series if you just want more power and something for light off-road use. If you're going to really be going off-road quite a bit then you should look into a v8 swap. I'm still waiting on parts for my diesel swap and am swapping for the same reasons as the rest of the crowd. Better fuel economy and more power. I personally don't care for the fad of Chevy V8's in land cruisers, but can't really say anything bad about them. A Toyota V8 swap won't really net you much more fuel mileage but would give you better drivability. On that note, there was a whole 1uz motor with all ancillaries for $500 on CL down here. So a swap could be done on the cheap if you did your own work. A note on that engine...it has everything except a transmission and they were asking $500

I am only a lurker on this topic, but I have to throw in that those who do a V8 or diesel swap for the purpose of getting better gas mileage seem to be doing only half the math. Who cares how much better the mileage is, you would have to drive a million miles to make up the cost of swap? If you want the power, the sound, the broad access to engine parts and repair, etc., I get it, but the mileage? That one eludes me.

I don't think any of us have done it for the mileage; the mileage was a cool by-product of the "power, the sound, the broad access to engine parts and repairs, etc". It's just another factor that adds to the enjoyment of owning a LS powered Cruiser so we'll add it into the 'pros' column.

Not a fan of the 100 at all. 80 or nuthin :meh:

I would never do a Chevy swap, I did my 6BT and love it, I have over doubled my, gas mileage and diesel is a lot cheaper, and I love the looks and questions I get from people, who hear and know what the motor is, but the FJ80 body throws them off.
I have owned several diesel powered vehicles, and always liked them better than a small block Chevy, any day of the week, I can grab parts for my 6BT nearly anywhere, no electronic fuel injection or fuel pump, and if I had an electronic failure, once I got it running I can manually shift it. BTW I am no Chevy fan

I have own an FJ60 with a 350hp v8, a 1991 80 with a 5.7L v8, am currently DD my buddies 97 LX with a 6L v8 cranking out 400hp and last week I sold my 100-series after driving it 15,000 miles to Panama and back.

In my very experienced and honest opinion nothing beats a good 80-series with a 350-400hp v8. Nothing!!

Do whatever you like and 90% or more of the people who comment on v8 threads never driven a v8 Cruiser. You can be sure a v8 and a LC go together like pb&j!!

Cheers

I am only a lurker on this topic, but I have to throw in that those who do a V8 or diesel swap for the purpose of getting better gas mileage seem to be doing only half the math. Who cares how much better the mileage is, you would have to drive a million miles to make up the cost of swap? If you want the power, the sound, the broad access to engine parts and repair, etc., I get it, but the mileage? That one eludes me.

The increased range would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom