Builds UZJ100 Hunting Rig Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've never done a build thread but I'd thought I'd give it a try this time. Life long Cruiserhead, early member of IH8MUD and former TLCA member but I've been away for 10+ years, got busy with life/family/work. 37 years of uninterrupted Land Cruiser ownership, mostly 60 series and 70 series. I currently have three wagons, 2016 200 series ("Aretha") that my wife drives, and two 1999 UZ100s. "8 Ball" is my daily driver (new to me, pretty stock & unmolested, in EXCEPTIONAL shape, 160K miles) and "The Watermelon" (or 'Melon for short), formerly a daily driver for 11 years has been upgraded to dedicated hunting/mild-wheeling rig after many years of faithful service. She has 230K miles on the odometer and although the interior is in relatively good shape, she's showing a lot of wear and tear and the effects of the merciless Texas sun, tens of thousands of miles on dirt roads and cosmetic neglect. Mechanically, she's in great shape, always religiously maintained.

Current state:
The paint (Mica Green) is completely buggered. The clear cost is peeling, there are mesquite and cedar pinstripes all over the truck, and 10+ years worth of dings and scrapes from a corporate parking lot.
The front bumper (custom VorFab) needs to be blasted and powdercoated
The rear bumper (4x4Labs) and sidebars are faded and need to be repainted
The windshield needs to be replaced
The tires (BFG AT 285/75R16s are pretty worn and dry rotted (including the spare)
The upholstery (front seats in particular) is worn/cracked and needs to be replaced
The driver seatbelt needs to be replaced
The steering wheel needs to be recovered
The exhaust needs to be repositioned (tucked behind the bumper)
The bearings and races on both swingouts need to be replaced and the gas struts reinstalled

Future State:
Targeting mid-summer for a full repaint and color change (have always hated Green)
New wheels (Tundra steelies) need to be powdercoated
New tires (ordered)
New upholstery (likely leatherette for durability, with color change)
Paint for bumpers and sliders
Winch installation (has been sitting in the garage for months)
roof rack
Some sort of headlight upgrade

I will share pictures as things start to change. In the meantime, here are some of the BEFORE shots to highlight how crusty the old girl has gotten!
Melon at lease.jpg

Last edited:
A few detailed shots:

buggered paint.jpg

bumper.jpg

crusty emblem.jpg

hood dent.jpg

hood.jpg

Last one for now:

scrape.jpg

Did you used to have the sprung over green 60 with the same snorkel pre-cleaner? If so, you were my screen saver for years when I joined MUD before I could even drive haha.

Really digging that front bumper and that 4x4 Labs rear is really nice as well. Pretty sure I saw your rig at Pizza Rev a few months ago in Round Rock. I'm in the hood as well and drive a built out white LX.

Did you used to have the sprung over green 60 with the same snorkel pre-cleaner? If so, you were my screen saver for years when I joined MUD before I could even drive haha.
Yes, sir! I miss that rig *every day*! :)

Really digging that front bumper and that 4x4 Labs rear is really nice as well. Pretty sure I saw your rig at Pizza Rev a few months ago in Round Rock. I'm in the hood as well and drive a built out white LX.
Yup, that was us, I live in Round Rock between 35 and Parmer. Love your LX, it looks fantastic!

Nice rig. I’m in Leander. Currently doing an unintended frame off on my 98 UZJ100. Y’all stop by sometime with your rigs.

Nice Story! Funny bc I love the green!
Are the current wheels 16 steelies??

Nice Story! Funny bc I love the green!
Are the current wheels 16 steelies??
Yes, non-US OEM 16" steelies (I believe Middle East spec).

Henry! Good to see you post. I'm excited about the color-change...I hate that particular green as well.

@Exiled What color are you going to go with?

Still debating between a few shades, but it will be non-metallic for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom