Using hard top bikini style (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

here ya go

attachment.php

Tommy the kanadian Carins rig...

Some more....

BuzzWrm7-24-19.jpg

BuzzWrm7-24-18.jpg

BuzzWrm7-24-39.jpg

Thanks Guys for the photos.

Cooney - I really like the looks of that truck. Since I have a family roll cage, this looks like it would be easy to do.

I'll post some photo's when I get it done.

Thanks again, everyone.

Does anyone have any detail on how the fiberglass cap attaches other than at the top of the windshield? Pics??

Thanks

The rig in post #20 is Steve Tetu's. He is the president of the Coastal Cruisers club up here in Vancouver, BC Canada. He is also the owner of EBI Cruiser Parts. He can be contacted at sales@extremebends.com.

I sent Steve an email asking for his input to this thread. Hopefully he will respond and show us how he installed his top.

The rig in post #20 is Steve Tetu's. He is the president of the Coastal Cruisers club up here in Vancouver, BC Canada. He is also the owner of EBI Cruiser Parts. He can be contacted at sales@extremebends.com.

How would the back attach to the top? Would "B" and "C" pillars need to be made or would the back "C" pillar be enough to attach the top (with the windsheild and the rear pillar)?

How would the back attach to the top? Would "B" and "C" pillars need to be made or would the back "C" pillar be enough to attach the top (with the windsheild and the rear pillar)?

If it was trail only I'd say yes..

Personally I'd like the "B" in there to be safe...

Several years ago, Toyota Trails did an entire issue of Readers Rides. One of the 40s was set up with the fiberglass cap and snap-on vinyl sides. It was red.

You might try a rusted out pair of hard sides as a start for framwork. Cut out all of the unwanted metal, weld in some bracing, paint, done.

I thought about using an older set of side panels also. It would make it easy to get the proportions right.

Several years ago, Toyota Trails did an entire issue of Readers Rides. One of the 40s was set up with the fiberglass cap and snap-on vinyl sides. It was red.

You might try a rusted out pair of hard sides as a start for framwork. Cut out all of the unwanted metal, weld in some bracing, paint, done.

wow, I need to wash my Cruiser a bit.

The hardtop shell is resting on one of our family cage kits. When I installed the cage, I left half an inch of clearance between the rear hoop and the shell.

When I put the shell on it, I used pieces of (about 3/8's thick) rubber cut into strips to sit on the cage. I notched the rubber strips so I could run 2" exhaust clamps around the hoop, then drilled a flawless hardtop shell for the clamps.
I used stainless fender washers and nylocks to hold it all together

I drilled out the factory rivets on the front track and used larger stainless hardware as well

I do want to attach metal plates in the rear to support the fiberglass but I just never got around to it. I'm not sure which adhesive to use

I've run it for a few summers, no problems, no movement
I did put straps by the B pillars a few times for hwy. trips when I first installed it. The straps were not needed as I found out. It's solid, it's brushed against a few trees and has survived a lot of wheeling trips

You do get really wet at about 40 mph and above if it's raining though.
FJ40 older.jpg

Thank's for your input. I'm going to take my hard top and set it on the family roll cage to see what I'll have to do to attach it.

I think I will like it more than the Bikini I'm using now.

The more I look at it, the more I like the look of the hardtop. I might have to start keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap top.

Kevin

that's an angled spot, people in cars get worried parking in that spot so I park there
it keeps the water from pooling in my cruiser too

I'll be putting my hardtop shell back on in a few weeks. I'll post pics for you guys

I can make a kit that would allow you to install the OEM fiberglass roof onto a soft-top with no sides... Only if there is sufficient interest.
Ehsan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom