Used but functioning power steering rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced my power steering rack, I still have my old one that works and functions properly. Anyone have any idea where I can take this to at least get money for the core or someone who wants to refurb it?
It doesn't leak and has full range

IMG_3248.JPG

Call CVJ Axels. They don't have any in stock right now and may give you a core charge. Believe they are in CO as well.

I got a deal on a new rack, and I thought the bushings were more shot than they were. It was also shifting side to side but that had to do with the grommet too

Aren't these incredibly difficult to change?

Aren't these incredibly difficult to change?
Depends your mechanic ability level. Not necissarily "hard" just takes a really long time and it's in a tight space.

If it wasn't for me having to lay on my back and attemp this while on jack stands I'd do it myself.

But I have been wondering how much my Toyota dealer would charge and if they would allow me to supply my own parts as I'll do new outer tie rod ends with it. My parts would be Toyota pats but at a much cheaper price then what they want.

If I had a garage and a lift I'd do it myself for sure.

If it wasn't for me having to lay on my back and attemp this while on jack stands I'd do it myself.

But I have been wondering how much my Toyota dealer would charge and if they would allow me to supply my own parts as I'll do new outer tie rod ends with it. My parts would be Toyota pats but at a much cheaper price then what they want.

If I had a garage and a lift I'd do it myself for sure.
Probably everyone on the forum has done it on the floor. Might be easier with using the floor to help with leverage when you're laying down. Definitely helps having a friend and it is not possible AT ALL getting th rack out without either lifting the engine or taking the oil filter housing off( I recommend the first).

If you haven't replaced your ball joints/control arms, now would be a decent time to do those as well

Yeah that's what I'm dreading is with my mileage and such... 437K right now.

I mean I can put it on jack stands and make it a couple day or couple week job depending on my mood and the weather.
It would be under my carport. Lord it can't be worse then when I was 19 and replaced the rack in my 1999 Turbo Supra on my own not knowing anything and getting the wrong one from Advanced as I had the inter-cooler and the non turbo rack won't bolt in and clear the piping. So yeah I did it three times... And after the second one wouldn't go it Advanced admitted the PN mix up... Oh we learn the hard way sometimes don't we.

It would be lower control arms, outer tie rod ends, and a rack...

However I just replaced the gasket under the oil cooler assembly so I would rather not remove it...
I didn't want to disconnect the coolant lines to and from it and turns out you don't have to.
Removing the filter alone I think lost me maybe a half a qt of oil but I did during an oil change anyways.

Holy smokes you have 437 on the first rack? I'd say it's served you well and that it deserves a new one haha. If you haven't done any suspension work you shouldn't be surprised at how amazing new parts will make that thing feel.

You have to remove the oil filter regardless of if you lift the motor. Let me know if you have any other questions

I still have the OEM after I replaced it. Can't bring myself to throw it out but not sure what to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom