Update: 5W-30 & Heavier Recommended RoTW (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did anyone switch from 0w20 to 0w30? or is everyone just jumping to 5w30 from 0w20? I'm still within the warranty period, but want to be buried in this thing.
@TeCKis300 strongly advocates this type of oil, and I see no problems with it. I prefer 5-30 simply because that is what I’ve been running already and it’s a bit easier to find.. but I may consider 0-30 for winter months in the future.

Did anyone switch from 0w20 to 0w30? or is everyone just jumping to 5w30 from 0w20? I'm still within the warranty period, but want to be buried in this thing.

I jumped to 5W-30 because Toyota doesn't recommend 0W-30 for use anywhere.

Here's the chart most reference when talking about oil recommendations for ROW applications:

ROWOilRecommendations2_05MAY15_edited-1_zpsc23a2384.jpg

My read on this is that 0W-20, 5W-20, and 5W-30 are OK for general use anywhere colder temperatures may be experienced.

Note that 0W-30 is not in the chart.

I'm sure there are many "oil gurus" out there who may defend 0W-30, but if it's not in writing from Toyota, I don't trust it.

Of course, your vehicle - use whatever makes you feel good.

HTH

@40Man, looks like your formula is a tad dated. The latest recipe includes some 0W-40, resulting in an additional 50k miles or so.

I say "some" because the volume specified is actually varied based on the sun's Direct Normal Irradiance for your particular driving climate.

@40Man, looks like your formula is a tad dated. The latest recipe includes some 0W-40, resulting in an additional 50k miles or so.

I say "some" because the volume specified is actually varied based on the sun's Direct Normal Irradiance for your particular driving climate.
@40Man This is good point. I also forgot to ask how much 20w50 break in oil you keep adding between oil changes?

I jumped to 5W-30 because Toyota doesn't recommend 0W-30 for use anywhere.

Here's the chart most reference when talking about oil recommendations for ROW applications:

View attachment 3261610

My read on this is that 0W-20, 5W-20, and 5W-30 are OK for general use anywhere colder temperatures may be experienced.

Note that 0W-30 is not in the chart.

I'm sure there are many "oil gurus" out there who may defend 0W-30, but if it's not in writing from Toyota, I don't trust it.

Of course, your vehicle - use whatever makes you feel good.

HTH
Thanks for the points. I remember seeing this chart too and can only say the lack of 0w30 may be due to niche market of that weight?

I don't question data from Blackstone Lab's Lab.

I chose 0W30, I’m 2 changes in without any difference other than quieter on start up and pressure showing on the gauge. @gaijin makes a very astute observation about it not being mentioned in the manual; however, I share @gasman4u thoughts on the matter. I went back and forth on this so many times but I feel good about the switch since this vehicle was acquired to tow our camper on and off road and it’s not going to see any easy daily drives to the grocery store.

0W-30 is a next generation oil. Agreed it's niche, as it is a more advanced wider multi-viscosity formulation.

0W-30 is generally always synthetic, starting with a higher end PAO base oil. Holds closer to the stock spec'd oil for cold start protection, as I do use my vehicle for winter ski trips.

There's very high quality 5W-30 oils too, but just as many commodity formulations.

Haha, I did the same just incase I ever had to have the oil changed by someone else at some point. The engine is definitely quieter.

8mQV662.jpg

Been looking for this part number recently. This oem? Can you share and spare me a search?

Will be switching soon to penzoil ultra plat soon as i run out of my dirt cheap costco mobil 1 5-30 “full synth”. From some of what ive learned, full synths are not fully synthetic ever since some major lawsuit years and years ago with mobil 1. (Tik tok ftw)

Will stick to 5w-30 until i move somewhere cold. I may even try some 5w-40 if that exists in houston climate.

Only reasoning is something needs to stick to the very top where lifters are ticking louder than id like and potentially fatiguing the valve springs. Pure conjecture though.

Cold climate guys i would say 0w-30 is solid choice. But im learning not all oils are what they claim!!!

Been looking for this part number recently. This oem? Can you share and spare me a search?

Pretty sure this is it, but I don’t recall who exactly I bought it from.

Part number 12180-38030 is a few $ less expensive and the script is Lexus F car blue. Also used on Tundra and Yaris, so Toyota dealers should have It.View attachment 3267846

Hah! I do like to be boujie sometimes…

Sorry I didn’t have time to order your housing I was in a major bind!

Part number 12180-38030 is a few $ less expensive and the script is Lexus F car blue. Also used on Tundra and Yaris, so Toyota dealers should have It.View attachment 3267846
"Energy Conserving" on a 200-series is particularly funny.. I'm definitely ordering one.

Whenever i pull the fill cap, i find one quarter of the inbuilt gasket has crud deposits. This is because of the coarse threading obviously not seating flat, but i guess do yall see the same thing?

I just clean it off and i tighten by hand, its tight to the point that I struggle to remove it by hand sometimes after the heat cycles.

Maybe a replacement with fresh gasket is not a bad idea for everyone?

@JAS4 @Tex68w

Ill take a pic next time once the 5w cap is ordered and swapped.

For everyone’s info the fill cap gasket is replaceable separate from the cap. Puncture the old one with an oring pick and pull it out. Fresh soft rubber makes a huge difference in how progressively the cap tightens.. vs just turn turn *stop*

90430-35001 For the replacement gasket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom