Unidentified Clanging Sound (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks! Was hoping someone could help me identify a clanging sound when driving. Truck is a 1991 Hilux Surf with about 33k miles, and has a 2L-TE with a 5sp manual transmission. The sound starts around 2000rpm and is loudest around 2500rpm, but once the truck has gotten a good amount of time to warm up it gets better or goes away entirely. I took two videos, one with windows up and one with windows down.

link 1 to sound:
link 2 to sound:

So far, I have:

- Changed engine oil
- Changed transmission fluid
- Changed front diff fluid
- Changed transfer case fluid
- Grease all u-joints in the drive train

The transmission and transfer case fluid looked great, almost as if they had just been changed. The front diff fluid looked like what I expected it to look like, as it was a little darker, and there was some very fine metal "paste" on the magnet. There weren't any large chunks of metal, but there was about a pea-sized glob of the metal paste on the magnet.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the front half of the car; I checked the front axles and both seem solid. 4wd works great in both hi and low. It also only seems to happen when under power and not when coasting. My very first thought was a CV joint, but I'm somewhat at a loss now. I did find that the front left wheel had some up and down play, so that wheel bearing may need some love, but I don't exactly feel like that's causing the noise.

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Videos don't tell me much, but check all your heat shields over the cat(s) if any. Maybe jam a block of wood between any suspected loose ones (and the body).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom