SOLD Two NOS Maruki 1# Hammers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dmamj

SILVER Star
Threads
Maruki #1 hammers were included in early Land Cruisers until 1963. These two were lost in bowels of that era, hidden from view deep inside some Japanese warehouse for the last 55 or 60 years. They are essentially brand new. Maruki stickers are on the handles - I have absolutely no idea how they survived and remained adhered. I can only assume the handles are original, but they look like they could have been put on yesterday. If the heads weren’t in as good condition as they are, I would say the were replaced, but I just don’t see how that would be the case. I have seen other Maruki hammers with different stickers and “Maruki” actually stamped on the handles. I believe that type to be slightly earlier versions than these. No strike marks on the heads - again, basically brand new. I’m thinking the number underneath the “#1” is a batch, forge, or lot number, as they are the same and these hammers appear to be from the same lot. Super nice old tools for the early rolls, even later kits if you are lacking the correct hammer for yours. $85 each, which includes shipping to the US. Will also trade one for a small 75mm slot-head wood handle Toyota Motor screwdriver.

AF091BB0-79A0-4CA8-8C9A-E3E8C1AEE0F0.jpeg
1EB27732-52E7-448D-AD84-9EDD197D950F.jpeg
01560DE3-EDC1-4894-AB75-47FAE0A99374.jpeg
8F39273D-7149-44B9-A642-6D7217E5D173.jpeg

pm sent

Gang,

I received a totally fair question and a few observations from one of our members and wanted to post my response here for all. Here's the message:

"I saw your post; is there anyway to know if these are original?? They look to be in too good a condition to be original ie: there appears to be no natural oxidation as you might see from something that's ?60 years old ie: just from the oxygen and humidity in the air."

My response was "The short answer is, I can't see how they are not original but I also cannot authenticate they are original." To elaborate...

I've seen many Maruki hammers come and go. These are the first I've seen with the red and white sticker. Others (not all) have had a round red and gold sticker directly in the middle of the handle. I've also seen variations like the one below, with "Markuki Brand" stamped in gold color script toward the bottom. I suspect the red and white sticker version came after the red and gold sticker, but because I've never been able to determine and exact age of each individual hammer I've seen, I don't know how much later these red and white sticker versions are (if in fact, they really are later).

The handles on the above hammers do look almost too good to be of the 1960s era. There is no deadening or discoloring of the wood, and you would think 50 or 60 years of the humid Japanese climate would react with the wood in some manner. That observation makes total sense and I don't have an explanation, other than it is plausible the hammers were stored in a shop in a dryer region of Japan. The length of the handles is 328mm, within what I feel is an acceptable tolerance from other Marukis measured at 330mm. The grain of those above have similarities to the one below as well. I currently have two other Marukis other than the ones above, and the total weight of them varies greatly from the ones above. The two others I have weigh 608g and 596g, and the ones above weigh 548g. Assuming the heads are all 1 LB, that means the difference in weight lies in the handles. That could mean different species of wood were used, or possibly a higher moisture (or asbsorbed oil and grease) content. The shape of the handles are very similar also, tapering slightly down from the end of the handle to a few inches below the head, then a slight upward taper, then a slight downward taper again right as the handle meets the base of the head.

Perhaps @jblatz or others can offer additional information.

Going back to the original question - I completely appreciated it. I wish I could verify and authenticate originality with 100% certainty, but I can't. Nathan or Dennis, if all this sways your decision to take one, it's no sweat at all. Just let me know. Others, please consider everything above, and please feel free to ask anything further.

Best,

Dan

1663894855281.png

2x on the wedge placement picture. Also it's interesting that there is shearing of the handles fibers into the head. Usually something like this is cleaned up.

Thanks @jblatz and @kevos37 . Photos of the top and bottoms below, comparing a hammer with a “Maruki Brand” handle to the newer looking ones in the listing.

Hammer bottom comparison: the newer looking one appears to have a more porous wood. Similar turn marks. Newer looking bottom is also thicker. Significant wear on the “Maruki Brand” hammer makes it somewhat difficult to compare apples to apples.

However, take a look at the tops. Significant variance. The end of the newer looking hammer isn’t fitted nearly as exact as the other. The wedge is thicker, not as long, shows rust. Wood is cracking, potentially because a misfitted wedge. And yes @kevos37 the wood fibers at the base of the head do not scream 1960’s Japanese quality, do they?

If these aren’t original handles, don’t know why a Maruki sticker would be affixed. Perhaps Maruki manufactured hammers into the 70s and 80s, and these are of that vintage. Other thoughts?

DBCD5A93-F2DF-4CA4-A224-5D8E6B8E42F9.jpeg
46C125C6-A534-4860-AB6A-B1F4C73BC7EB.jpeg

Cool pictures. The newer head looks like the dressing/ sanding stage on the hammer face sides was skipped. It was also interesting to see the original x headstock marks where the wedge went in.

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the update and additional pictures. Interesting information as always! I'm still in for one.

Thanks, Dennis

Dan, this has been educational! I’m still in for one, hard to know what the true history of these are but the head is no doubt original at least. Maybe Maruki had a warranty and these were refurbished at their factory and given a nice new sticker?

I knew I took a picture of one of these before. This is the red and gold sticker on the Maruki I mentioned earlier. I don't have the hammer anymore to do a side by side comparison, but the shape of the handle and wood grain is similar to the ones in the original post. Thought I'd share.

@77HesterSue Jennifer, I can thank you for helping me find the picture, because I was looking through one of our old PMs and came across it. Gonna shoot you another PM in a sec.

1663992344828.png

In line!

Put my name on it Dan. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom