Turn Signal Switch Knob (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been searching through the forum and I have been unable to come up with any info about the little knob for the turn signal switch.

My truck (1979) is missing the know on the turn signal stalk. All I can find are the whole assemblies online and I am a little surprised because the stalk on my indicator has threads where the original plastic threaded into.

FJ40, FJ45, FJ55 Turn Signal - Dimmer Switch - OEM

Has anyone sourced one of these before?

Would anyone be able to get me the general dimensions for the plastic part? I have a buddy who wants to try 3D printing something that will work.

A slender 3D printed knob (or even dice) would be smarter than what I did. Completely dissasembled a donor indicator assembly just for the lever/knob. :confused:

Mine has been broken for years and is one of those things that is slightly annoying when driving, but not annoying enough to warrant replacing the whole switch. The length of the factory plastic piece is just right. I remember @FJ40zen having a fancy metal turn signal knob that looked factory, but couldn't have been. Maybe he will post a picture and chime in on if he knows anything about it.

Ha! Its the file type for printing. I do a lot of printing but it is the same thing over and over, so my knowledge to design something in a program is very limited. I can move teeth around and print dental models, but dont ask me to create a simple straight knob! Someone that does 3D design could make one pretty easy if they had the dimensions and thread type. I got into 3D printing last year and it has been a game changer. Amazing technology.

If you find a solution , I’m very interested.

Mine is broken (sheared off) too. I have the piece that slips over the signal knob.

hOOter

Mine has been broken for years and is one of those things that is slightly annoying when driving, but not annoying enough to warrant replacing the whole switch. The length of the factory plastic piece is just right. I remember @FJ40zen having a fancy metal turn signal knob that looked factory, but couldn't have been. Maybe he will post a picture and chime in on if he knows anything about it.

It is stock, and elegant...

Mine is broken as well on my FJ40. I have a 3D printer and a spool of medium/charcoal gray ABS that should work well for this. I'll sketch something up, do a test print, and report back results.

Here you go! I modeled a replacement knob and printed it using some gray ABS filament I had laying around. There are a few imperfections but they make it look like it's been on the truck for 40 years. For a first attempt, I'm pretty please with the results.

upload_2018-6-2_11-33-35.png

upload_2018-6-2_11-34-50.png

upload_2018-6-2_11-35-42.png

Are you going to reproduce those for the rest of us?

I'm happy to share the STL file for others that may already have a 3D printer or know someone who does. Or, I'm open to printing and finishing some for a reasonable charge. Each one takes right at 1 hour to print on my machine.

:worms:I'd like one.

If you start printing them, what would you charge? Looks fantastic.

nice i saved all mine just to have a spare if needed if you make those maybey i can seel some of the switches i have laying around

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom