Truck stalls after battery replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, new to this forum.

Recently I picked up an fj60 needing a bit of TLC everything worked great for about 3 months until the battery was swapped now it dies unless given gas on startup. Radio/features also do not work anymore. Originally I thought it was because the connectors were corroded so I switched them but am still having the same problem.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Never seen scotch locks on an unfused hot wire. Hope you're carrying a fire extinguisher.

I'd say that at this point your best bet is to grab a wiring diagram and new fusible link (still available from Toyota for the FJ60) and rewire the hot side of the battery.

I'm guessing the red wire going to the positive post is for some aftermarket radio or other aftermarket equipment. The blue connectors are splice connectors...they work by shoving a blade into the existing wire and the new wire. The current runs through the blade inside the blue plastic. Maybe has it's place but not in a running moving vehicle. Disconnect this wire for now until you can get it running right. Later you can replace the wire with a solid wire going from battery all the way to whatever it's powering.

The white wire coming off the back of the alt should be hot( 12v) all the time. It voltage runs from the positive through the fusible link to the white wire. it runs thru the conduit up to the positive on the battery post. It should ideally run through a short piece of fusible link (looks like thick wire) about 4 inches between two plugs. Actually there are 3 fusible link wire and looks like this:

DSCN0033.JPG

Unfortunately you have what we refer to as a s*** show. Your best bet would be to pull the battery out and set it aside. Replace the battery cables and terminals. Get a new fusible link. Remove all the suspicious cob job add on wires but try to figure out what they are powering first. Redo your grounds while you are at it. Good time to invest in a digital multimeter….even a cheap one will work fine.

@ToyotaMatt can help you find a lot of the pieces you need.

Hi everyone, new to this forum.

Recently I picked up an fj60 needing a bit of TLC everything worked great for about 3 months until the battery was swapped now it dies unless given gas on startup. Radio/features also do not work anymore. Originally I thought it was because the connectors were corroded so I switched them but am still having the same problem.

View attachment 2871415

View attachment 2871416

View attachment 2871417

i carry and have in-stock all the needed battery cables and fusible links parts to get your ride purring again

please PM me to further discuss all the 411 here

thanks

1640185631781.png

1640185643637.png

1640185666711.png

Unfortunately you have what we refer to as a s*** show
Funny stuff......but he is not wrong OP. If that were mine I would start over. Your Cruiser deserves it. Would likely be way faster than trying to figure out all the hack - n - tap you got going on there. Here is a nice cable set to start with if the OEM stuff doesn't work for you:

I hope you find the guy who did all that to that poor truck. GL.

Last edited:
Funny stuff......but he is not wrong OP. If that were mine I would start over. Your Cruiser deserves it. Would likely be way faster than trying to figure out all the hack - n - tap you got going on there. Here is a nice cable set to start with if the OEM stuff doesn't work for you:

I hope you find the guy who did all that to that poor truck. GL.
Me too haha, Feels like I saved an animal from a shelter. Thanks for the link I’ll look into grabbing them when I have the extra funds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom