Trim Painting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone painted the trim on their 100? Did you do it yourself? Any insight? The center section that is painted is faded. It needs paint badly.

Thanks,

uzj100
IMG00039 trim.jpg
IMG00040 trim.jpg

They are and the center section looks terrible.

I had mine painted white to match the rest of the car. Cost me $250.00 and looks great. That's the color Toyota should have used from the start. I will paint the bumpers to match when I get enough money and time to have it done.

Mine looks like crap. Been thinking of painting it for a while.

Mine look horrible too but I always thought the center section was a sticker, based on the different color and different texture. Otherwise you would have two different trim paint codes.

I wonder if goo gone would remove the center section, sticker or paint. If I could remove the center section, I may just leave it the other, darker paint color.

I will try this tonight. What other product is good for removing paint?

I did the finger nail scratch test and the center section (sticker or paint) was not really coming off easily.

Last edited:
You said "trim."

I will try goo gone and fingernail polish remover tonight. I will let you know what happens.

Last edited:
yup, let's have some handy folks give these a try...

(ours are peeling off too, so I'd like to know... :))

I tried Goo Gone, Fingernail polish remover and Paint thinner. The whatever it is substance did not budge at all. I believe it has to be painted over which is going to be a pain however I really need to it because it looks terrible. Someone mentioned rhino liner in a spray can, that may be the trick since these do get hit by other car doors. Actually painting with a brush may be better to make sure there is no over spray. Tape and paint.

I hope to hit Lowes this weekend and see what they have. Tan bed liner may look ok on my Champagne colored truck.

I tried Goo Gone, Fingernail polish remover and Paint thinner. The whatever it is substance did not budge at all. I believe it has to be painted over which is going to be a pain however I really need to it because it looks terrible. Someone mentioned rhino liner in a spray can, that may be the trick since these do get hit by other car doors. Actually painting with a brush may be better to make sure there is no over spray. Tape and paint.

I hope to hit Lowes this weekend and see what they have. Tan bed liner may look ok on my Champagne colored truck.

Please post pics as I really need to do something as well. Good luck!

I am thinking about what to do with mine as well. I just called and recieved a quote from my local Toyota Dealer that gives discounts to TLCA members.

Starting from the front of the truck and moving back these are the prices I received for new replacements:

List 63.53 Discount price 47.65
List 130.12 Discount price 97.59
List 104.29 Discount price 78.22
List 83.94 Discount price 62.96

So it would cost 208.20 to replace one side before tax if you wanted to replace all four pieces. Just figured I would throw that in to the conversation. Not sure what direction I'm going to go.

Zane

Is the new trim going to do the same thing? That would be an interesting question to ask the parts guy.

Mine is doing the same thing. Since the paint on the rest of the vehicle was immaculate when I purchased it, and with this being a common complaint, I am left to think one of two things:

1.) Paint was sub-standard (or sub-standardly done.. i.e third party company)
2.) The material is not holding the paint.

As I have already put some nice scratches and minor dents down below before getting the sliders.. I am contemplating rhino-lining from the trim down. I haven't seen anyone here post here that has done it.. I have seen 80's, and it mentioned there.

Not only will it hide my current imperfectons, it will help with the doors in parking lots, rocks, tree branches that I have seen off road.

Has anyone done this yet on a 100 series?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom