TRD or Magnuson supercharger? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have seen what it can do to Tundra's 5.7 V8 with added power/torque and improved gas mileage and dealers offering to install TRD ones with warranty, but wondering if it's the same case for us LC/LX owners. Anyone here has a supercharger installed?

Dealer in this video claims the Tundra stock HP goes up to 500hp, while Torque goes up to 550lb-ft with dual exhaust and air filter added.

I know the older TRD superchargers were produced by magnuson, not sure if the later models were.

might be only a RWD dyno ? or they pulled the shaft....... Kooks tried to do that with my rig but I guess it went into Limp mode so they weren't able to get a baseline prior to the Header / exhaust install. to the OP - Carl and a few others have done the Sc'er...... Carl likely can share his insight ( and a few fun videos)..... I also believe sells them....

Once I get the gears /lockers done I'm going to debate the sc'er again.....

E

I'm always back and forth on the supercharger.

Sometimes I think "This is a Landcruiser it can take it"

Sometimes I think: "If you wanted a 500 hp SUV with dubious reliability you should have just bought a Range Rover"

I like my Landcruiser reliability and it's an unknown how everything will hold up.

TRD doesn't sell the supercharger anymore. Sparks Toyota lists the Magnuson as available. Best to call and find out what exactly would need to be done.

Toyota Tundra 3UR-FE 5.7L V8 Supercharger System

Magnuson superchargers said:
  • Also available in as a "Tuner Kit" without calibration for other 3UR-FE 5.7L V8 platforms, please inquire within.
  • 3UR-FE - Toyota Land Cruiser 5.7L V8 (requires custom work for installation kit, and custom calibration)

It's difficult for me to want to add anything that would make it any less reliable in any way.

If you're on the trail and you throw a belt or your nose cone takes a dump, you're pretty much screwed. Sure you can carry an extra belt or limp home with a hashed nose cone bearing but why bother? People have circumnavigated the globe on one horsepower.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it until it is broken.

Last edited:
While I have to admit it would be incredibly cool to have 500 horsepower, I agree with the others that I wouldn't want to introduce more complexity and an additional possible point of failure. Speaking of power, I got stuck behind a couple of semis going the same speed next to each other about 10 under the speed limit today for a few miles with nothing but open road in front of them and massive traffic piling up behind them. When it was eventually safe, I gunned it to pass them and was very impressed with how quickly my heavy 200 got up to speed and made easy work of overtaking. It's no sports car, but it's very powerful already for what it is.

Thank you all for sharing. I am only looking at this for two reasons "possibly" improving gas mileage and towing 10,000lbs plus boat trailer and also when you add those heavy front/rear steel bumpbers, winch, side rails, 35s and may be aux tank then having a SC can be a plus

...also when you add those heavy front/rear steel bumpbers, winch, side rails, 35s and may be aux tank then having a SC can be a plus

That's the main reason I'm debating one ahead of putting bumpers on next year. I'm already missing the acceleration I had pre-lift and Ko2's, if I add bumpers it'll feel like I'm driving a fully loaded four cylinder sedan :(

Gears are needed for 35's..... Carl and Christo both warned me !

Headers and exhaust really offset the extra weight but not the initial rolling inertia and gear hunting....

hoping to know this afternoon that the gears were all worth it...

That's the main reason I'm debating one ahead of putting bumpers on next year. I'm already missing the acceleration I had pre-lift and Ko2's, if I add bumpers it'll feel like I'm driving a fully loaded four cylinder sedan :(
Finally someone agrees with my insanity here.

Finally someone agrees with my insanity here.
Oh no, you're not alone. I have a Magnuson SC brochure sitting on the bedside. Just shy of $7k I believe, and I'm told it can be installed at home (local Toyota dealer would flash the software). Was looking at this even pre-lift and know there are many other things I'd like that $7k could buy. Yet... that brochure still sits there toying with me. New exhaust was an easy compromise haha... and I couldn't do headers living in CA unfortunately.

We have a 2016 LX. I'm sure the parts bolt on but I was concerned about the refresh etc... do you guys know if the SC works on the 16,17 LC/LX. THANKS

You are not insane... many of us enjoy big hp and tq. I still have the TRD unit from my Tundra sitting on the shelf, it would be an excellent addition to the 200. I think the factory flash should be adapted to the LC ECU, maybe a larger pulley to drop the max boost back a pinch to 6-7 psi, instead of the 7-8 psi... that is if stock internals are retained. An extra oil cooler should also be mandatory as it will help keep the pistons cool and strong.

I’d rather not start an entirely new thread on this so I’ll just bump one of the old ones. Anyone done a supercharger install recently? (Other than @Briano and I have already pinged him). I’ve been thinking about spicing up my HE with a supercharger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom