Transmission Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2006 LX470 with 160k miles.

Wanted to see what you all would do in my situation.

In early 2021 I had my transmission rebuilt as it was progressively getting worse at slipping and bucking. Took it to a local AAMCO with really good online reviews. Full transmission rebuild. A couple of months later I noticed that every once in a while between the speeds of 30 and 40 miles an hour, under very little load, it would feel like you are driving over a rumble strip. The minute you pressed or depressed the gas pedal it would immediately stop. It happens very randomly, sometimes not at all and sometimes several times on a short drive, but always between 30-40mph.

I took it back to the transmission shop. They guessed based off of my description that it was the torque converter (which was replaced under full rebuild). However, they told me their diagnostic computer, while driving, said it was a cylinder 4 misfire. So to take it to my normal mechanic.

Then gas prices went up, my office is still (permanently) closed so no daily commute, so I have just shared our electric car with my wife other than the occasional camping trip or taking the dogs for a hike, or take my CJ7.

Now a year later I needed to use it for the entire week shuttling kids to school/practice and all the other stuff. Finally annoyed me enough to take it to my mechanic. He did the same thing as the transmission shop says they did by driving with diagnostic computer. First test drive, of course they didn't get it at all. I asked them to drive it again and sure enough they got it four times. Absolutely no codes or misfires. He says he thinks it is the torque converter.

Of course the 18 month trans warranty just expired. Lesson learned, shouldn't have waited so long to take it to my mechanic. But also how could I argue with the transmission shop that it could be the transmission based on what they say they saw?

I still can't believe the transmission died on me at only 150k miles.

Would you just live with it at this point as it is only a minor irritant? Feel free to move to Chit-Chat if that is more appropriate.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, you took back to transmission shop withing the 18 mo. They miss diagnosed as engine issue, or so it would seem. They'll likely take care of you still today. Speak with them!

Toyota had issue with some transmission, began in 2004 models (IIRC). They called it "low speed shutter." Seems it would happen around 35 MPH climbing very slight grade. They first replaced transmissions, then came out with a kit. Seem the kit had something to do with moisture and the breathe tube. Sorry I'm not finding anything on this in my files at the moment. Try a search!

Eventually (2008) a TSB came out, regarding the factory underfilling the transmission. The TSB gives us a new (lower) A/T Fluid temp to set level at, of 97-115f. Lower means we're adding more fluid. I don't know if this is what they found the issue of "low speed shutter" , to be or not. But using wrong ATF or setting level wrong may be your issue, and may be why we hear little of, low speed shutter these days.

I'd been using only Toyota WS ATF (made by Exxon Mobil), until this year. Just this year Mobil came out with a full synthetic multi vehicle ATF. It is rated for Toyota III (dexron III), Toyota IV (call for in the 2003 100 series) and Toyota WS. Some believe the Toy WS ATF is a full syn., I do not. Just because I feel, Toyota would price higher if it was a full syn. IMHO. So if I had a 03-up transmission giving me issues. I'd flush all 12 qts with either Toy WS or Mobil MV and make sure level correct. If issue in 98-02 I still use the top shelve Mobil 1 MV ATF.

There is one thing that made me once "think" my TC or transmission going bad. But it would happen while at a stop in D, foot on brake, idling. So not likely your situation, but perhaps worth mentioning since you had a cylinder 4 DTC (code) reported. This was miss fires. Which tend to not kick off a DTC. We find these by looking in tech stream, as we recreate conditions. This can be hard to see. As seems there's an issue in tech stream, a glitch. Somewhere in mud is a video on how to find miss-fire even with the glitch.

Attachments

• TSB Transmisson fluid level temp.pdf
    183.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I have heard that a tube of Lube Guard Instant Shutter Fixx has helped others in the past that had the 2004 tranny issue mentioned above. May want to try it if you can’t get more help from the company that misdiagnosed it on their 18 month watch.

I have heard that a tube of Lube Guard Instant Shutter Fixx has helped others in the past that had the 2004 tranny issue mentioned above. May want to try it if you can’t get more help from the company that misdiagnosed it on their 18 month watch.
I haven’t seen much on the 100 forums but on T4R some 2uz 4Runners had the shutter problem and had success with a tube of shuttter fix. Look up v8 4Runner rumble strips and should find some threads, sorry it’s been awhile read about it years ago when I first got my 4R never happened to me yet (230k 05 and 185k 08 2UZ).

I’d talk to the tranny shop first and see if they’ll work with you.

Edit: Also I remember people putting it in ‘4’ and the shutter would stop. Some people are more comfortable just switching gears instead of the shutter fix.

If I understand correctly, you took back to transmission shop withing the 18 mo. They miss diagnosed as engine issue, or so it would seem. They'll likely take care of you still today. Speak with them!

Toyota had issue with some transmission, began in 2004 models (IIRC). They called it "low speed shutter." Seems it would happen around 35 MPH climbing very slight grade. They first replaced transmissions, then came out with a kit. Seem the kit had something to do with moisture and the breathe tube. Sorry I not finding anything on this in my files at the moment. Try a search!

Eventually (2008) a TSB came out on factory transmission fill being low. The TSB gives us a new lower ATF temp to set level at, of 96-115f. Lower means we're adding more fluid. I don't know if this is what they found issue on "low speed shutter" to be or not. But using wrong ATF or setting level wrong may be your issue, and may be why we hear little on low speed shutter these days.

I'd been using only Toyota WS ATF (made by Exxon Mobil), until this year. Just this year Mobil came out with a full synthetic multi vehicle ATF. It is rated for Toyota III (dexron III), Toyota IV (call for in the 2003 100 series) and Toyota WS. Some believe the Toy WS ATF is a full syn., I do not. Just because I feel, Toyota would price higher if it was a full syn. IMHO. So if I had a 03-up transmission giving me issues. I'd flush all 12 qts with either Toy WS or Mobil MV and make sure level correct. If issue in 98-02 I still use the top shelve Mobil 1 MV ATF.

There is one thing that made me once "think" my TC or transmission going bad. But it would happen while at a stop in D, foot on brake, idling. So not likely your situation, but perhaps worth mentioning since you had a cylinder 4 DTC (code) reported. This was miss fires. Which tend to not kick off a DTC. We find these by looking in tech stream, as we recreate conditions. This can be hard to see. As seems there's an issue in tech stream, a glitch. Somewhere in mud is a video on how to find miss-fire even with the glitch.
Add in LEXUS version of this TSB

Attachments

• ATF level inspection temp ranges35-42.pdf
    173.5 KB · Views: 64
Thanks for making us aware of this.

Have to assume this Lexus issue translates in to the Toyota LC world. Is there a similar TSB for the LC?
See post #2!

Went to T4R found one problem was front drive shaft

The v8 shudder page from T4R and the fix they’ve been using

I have the exact same issue on a 2007 LC as the OP, it happened after I had the transmission fluid replaced.

I sent it back the shop and asked for another flush and assurance that they are using Toyota WS fluid. Crossing my fingers that this addresses the shudder between 30 and 40 when gently accelerating.

Update on my torque converter shudder issue: as a reminder, I developed the shudder after I had the transmission fluid replaced at a non-Toyota shop.

I took the advice on this thread, and drained the fluid completely again, twice! the first time the shudder was still there on a test drive, and then had it drained again, (both times with Toyota WS fluid. The second time, the shudder was still there, but the trigger speeds changed slightly (went from 30-40 mph, to 40-45), and the shudder just felt different, weaker too.

I recall on this forum a guy said you had to drive it for a week. Well, sure enough, the shudder slowly disappeared, and in less than 1 week its gone! Hoping it stays that way.

Figured I should give an update. I went to a Lexus dealer and had the transmission inspected. They performed a full flush and refill. Sadly the shutter still exists.

Figured I should give an update. I went to a Lexus dealer and had the transmission inspected. They performed a full flush and refill. Sadly the shutter still exists.
So they billed you for 12 qts or more Toyota WS ATF with Toyota P/N.

They likely used, fluid exchange machine. If mechanic diligent, he set level afterwards. But most do not. They see no leaks, just go with amount out. Since machine put same amount back in.

So, I'd ask at what AT Fluid temperate they set level. Hope they give honest answer, not just look up in TSI. They should say A/T temperature #1 at 97F (97-115F).

You may need a new Transmission. Personally, I go with used before a remain.

But 3 things really standout:
  1. Slow speed (35MPH) shutter, is know issue! Easily corrected by topping Transmission to proper level.
  2. Transmission failing, being rebuild and failing again. What's the odds.
  3. Misfire #4 cylinder report. But no statement of repair to correct. First time it happen to me, I though for sure a bad transmission. NOT!
First, it's questionable if you actually needed rebuilt in first place. But it's possible, yours was driven so hard while being underfilled from factory or with contaminated fluid i.e. "Driven so hard " Like with very heavy loads/tow, pulling up very long passes in freezing temperatures between 30-40 MPH. That transmission was then damaged. Then rebuilt, and they did a piss poor job. Or you had a 1 in 100,000 defective transmission and then rebuilt at good shop poorly and was the 1 in 1,000 went bad. What are the odds :hmm:

The low speed shutter, when Toyota/Lexus first reported:
  1. They replaced Transmission.
  2. Then they came out with a kit, altering breather IIRC.
  3. Than the TSB changing ATF level, so we added more. Easy fix!

Had you brought to me. I'd flushed all 12qt and set level at~97F. I'd drive and monitor A/T oil temps, both #1 & #2. I'd also, look for misfire.

Misfire is the one thing that really standout here. #4 cylinder misfire report. Tech-stream has glitch in misfire screen. Will see a misfire for a second perhaps. But when we put engine under load (engine running, transmission in gear and increase RPM with foot on brake). Which is where misfires most often happen.

Unfortunately misfire is often missed. Since they disappear, as does the count. So we "think" all is good. Watch the video to see why:

My best guess, of pre-rebuild by Ammco issue cause of shutters:
Low A/T fluid & #4 misfire.

Misfire from bad spark plug possible loose currently or before replaced. And or weak coil. A loose spark plug, blows hot gasses on coil and cooks them. Not a good think, since excessive heat is damaging to coils. This may then have weekend the coil. Often a bad spark plug or coil is replaced with aftermarket or China bootleg junk. Misfire was report, so it needs, close investigation. Spark is common cause, but not limited to spark plugs & coils.

Last edited:

X2 on this. I don't trust rebuilds of Japanese transmissions...the horror stories exceed the success stories.

Well.. for a year 2000, I got no choice so I went with a rebuild. Did about 12K without any issues. What I find is a rebuld get all parts done right (if taken to a proper shop), so I experimenced a tremendous throttle response after the rebuild. Itgets up and go like a newer V8. I have seen many 200's getting trans rebuilt in Australia too. Anyways, I wanted to comment here!

So they billed you for 12 qts or more Toyota WS ATF with Toyota P/N.
They likely used, fluid exchange machine. If mechanic diligent, he set level afterwards. But most do not. They see no leaks, just go with amount out. Since machine put same amount back in.

So, I'd ask at what AT Fluid temperate they set level. Hope they give honest answer, not just look up in TSI. They should say A/T temperature #1 at 97F (97-115F).

But 3 things really standout:
  1. Slow speed (35MPH) shutter, is know issue! Easily corrected by topping Transmission to proper level.
  2. Transmission failing, being rebuild and failing again. What's the odds.
  3. Misfire #4 cylinder report. But no statement of repair to correct. First time it happen to me, I though for sure a bad transmission. NOT!
First, it's questionable if you actually needed rebuilt in first place. But it's possible, yours was driven so hard while being underfilled from factory or with contaminated fluid i.e. "Driven so hard " Like with very heavy loads/tow, pulling up very long passes in freezing temperatures between 30-40 MPH. That transmission was then damaged. Then rebuilt, and they did a piss poor job. Or you had a 1 in 100,000 defective transmission and then rebuilt at good shop poorly and was the 1 in 1,000 went bad. What are the odds :hmm:

The low speed shutter, when Toyota/Lexus first reported:
  1. They replaced Transmission.
  2. Then they came out with a kit, altering breather IIRC.
  3. Than the TSB changing ATF level, so we added more. Easy fix!

Had you brought to me. I'd flushed all 12qt and set level at~97F. I'd drive and monitor A/T oil temps, both #1 & #2. I'd also, look for misfire.

Misfire is the one thing that really standout here. #4 cylinder misfire report. Tech-stream has glitch in misfire screen. Will see a misfire for a second perhaps. But when we put engine under load (engine running, transmission in gear and increase RPM with foot on brake). Which is where misfires most often happen.

Unfortunately misfire is often missed. Since they disappear, as does the count. So we "think" all is good. Watch the video to see why:

My best guess, of pre-rebuild by Ammco issue cause of shutters:
Low A/T fluid & #4 misfire.

Misfire from bad spark plug possible loose currently or before replaced. And or weak coil. A loose spark plug, blows hot gasses on coil and cooks them. Not a good think, since excessive heat is damaging to coils. This may then have weekend the coil. Often a bad spark plug or coil is replaced with aftermarket or China bootleg junk. Misfire was report, so it needs, close investigation. Spark is common cause, but not limited to spark plugs & coils.

I purposely gave the service manager the service bulletin and he sourced it for the mechanic as well hoping that they would take the temperture into account. You may be right about all above and it is pretty frustrating. Was a $1k flush so feeling pretty over it at this point. I think I will live with it and dump it in a few years for a GX550.

Last edited:
why not getting a coil and spark plug for $80 and see if it helps... that would at least make sure missfire #4 is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom