Builds transforming the dent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the other things that scares me is the wiring. It is ugly as crap under the hood. The po has done all kinds of crazy ass things to that truck.

If you thought the dent was a basket case you should see this friggin thing. So i put the trollhole carb on today. I can get it to start up on its own now but will not idle. Probably a massive air leak that i have not found yet. The wiring for the headlights is like not even there. They ran wiring to a switch under the column that just hangs there. The switches on the column for the turn signal and headlights are not there either.
Marshall at the moment i have not figured out how to hook up the positive wire to your carb on this truck.

Does it have to have power to it to run?

I still have to drop the skid plate so i can check the fluid in the transfer and tranny. It is missing the green plug that goes into the back of the alternator as well. I have a long long long way to go.

So if i ran it directly to the battery i could start it up in order to rule that out as a cause not to idle?

dad does, so it needs to tie into switch i assume.

Hell, sometimes they'll have a 20% off coupon with a free one. I got like 6 that way, and a crap ton of little led flash lights...

Will pick one up next week. Gonna have to hurry the fellow mudders are circling the dent for parts as we speak. Lol I have people I have never spoken to or heard of pm me all the time.

Got it to run today. Took it for a quick spin around the yard and the case promptly began dumping oil and water leaking up front. Also looked at the fuses and lo and behold all the wiring has been cut. Not sure yet where water leak is coming from and figure case must be rebuilt. Hoping to pull compression numbers soon so I can see what direction to go in.

Congrats sounds like a can of stop leak and some duct tape is in order. ;) Still was good to hear it run don't you think!:D

yeah i am debating on the 350 route still. Hoping to figure it out in the next month or so but got to get some help out there with me to do a compression test 1st. I figure i can pull wiring from the dent just would have to take my time and label everything really well.

Just remembered that the three longest bolts from up top of the tcase are missing! Doh!!:bang: Maybe that is where it was leaking from.:eek:

A test light would do you better that a multi meter.
Walmart has them or any auto parts store.
They start at $1.99.
I got a better one for $5.00
You really only need a meter if you are checking for a specific voltage, usually you just need to know if there is power. much easier to use, especially under the dash.

dbenke said:
They start at $1.99.
You really only need a meter if you are checking for a specific voltage, usually you just need to know if there is power. much easier to use, especially under the dash.

Your probably right. Simple to use.

the gimpey one said:
yeah i am debating on the 350 route still. Hoping to figure it out in the next month or so but got to get some help out there with me to do a compression test 1st. I figure i can pull wiring from the dent just would have to take my time and label everything really well.

Buy compression gauge. Remove spark plug. Put long screw driver down carb to hold the butterfly's open. Remove coil plug. Crank 5 seconds. Write it down. Do this 6 times. Trust me if john lee can do it you can do it.

Can it be done by yourself though?

They start at $1.99.

I think i have one of those somewhere actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom