transfer case oil drain hole buggered (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok. Stripped my oil outlet on my transfer case

I got it sealed up with grey gasket stuff but this is temp

Might anyone know if this can be tapped It looks like 24 mm. But maybe that is too big??

Or just seal the hole permanently and use a pump to suck it out. When needed

Any ideas to seal this ? Or rethread?

Thanks

Maybe it is just me but when things are not correct, I must get it right. I do not remember thread size but there are many repairs that can be done. Helicoil, Keensert etc....

Good reason to find another t-case and rebuild it. Then do the swap when you're ready. In the short term, throw an expansion plug in there.

Thanks all

It was that last FU the t case told me as I was done rebuilding it. Putting the plug back in to refill

Gonna seal it up with some jbweld and tap a new hole. What could go wrong??

If your going to seal it up, I wouldn't mess with trying to tap a new hole. Just do as mentioned by @pbgbottle and use the pto cover to drain. You could make it worse.

Thing that scares me about any repair is finding out it didn't work when your twenty miles from pavement. I carry AAA but doesn't cover off road towing. I personally would just repalce the case but I also have spares on hand. While I always would I would be sure you have a skid plate under the transmission transfer case. Lose your oil because you hit the drain plug on a rock your not going very far. This is not an easy trail fix.

A
You could go to 1/2 NPT. It’s 21mm vs 18mm for stock.

Drill America - POU1/2NPTW/DRILL 1/2" Carbon Steel NPT Pipe Tap and 23/32" High Speed Steel Drill Bit Set, POU Series Amazon product ASIN B01MG92FX1
Awesome. Tapping aluminum will be flawless and very simple. 💩

Georg wasn't kidding, the magnet on the plug comes much closer to the gear than you would think, be sure to manually spin gear after installing plug fix to be sure it isn't rubbing.

Taps I've used are tapered on the end to help get it started. To do a good job the tap extends a ways pass the area your cutting threads in. The gear might prevent that.

Might have to cut it it…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom