transfer case area leak but tastes like antifreeze (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
99 100 series. Have minor leak. Can see in pic marked by yellow chalk. I have looked everywhere to see if coming from other areas. The thing is it tastes like antifreeze not Tran fluid.
Bolts are snug. It looks like its behind that plate not necessarily the seam.
Mechanic told me if taking this apart is a major $$$ job.
The leak is only in the middle. I put alot of chalk for picture.

transfer case.jpg

That is the transmission. And the leak is not coming from the transmission but the Rear Main Seal from the engine.

Your mechanic is correct, it is expensive and major labor. It involves taking the transmission out and everything else attached. You can try some AT 205 sealer and hope it works.

If it’s not leaking to the point of staining your driveway then you can leave it until it becomes worse. Just keep an eye on oil levels. I have have had same problem for a year now and it’s wet and looks like your but has not started dripping on floor YET.

I could see this costing close to $1k. It’s at least a 1 1/2 day worth of work. The part is probably $25.

If it is antifreeze, my guess is the heater core is cracked where it goes through the firewall, and it's dripping down to that lowest point. What is your coolant level doing? Could be the line that comes down from the heater tee that goes to the rear heater core, too, or the heater tees themselves.

I would actually guess its the rear heater bypass. Did your heater T's get done recently??

Mine is leaking, and the leak shows on the bell housing in that exact manner. Whats weird is you can't see a trail leading down to that. Not sure what antifreeze tastes like but I'll take your word for it :rofl:

Antifreeze has a slight sweet taste. That's why animals like to drink it.

What a great group of guys you are! I will update you on what we discover.

I have mechanic coming over tomorrow to fix a frigging connector clip he broke that I have spent 2 days trying to find all over the country, but I digress. We replaced the inner manifold gaskets last week (unrelated to this) so if you ever smell Anti Freeze and no drip know that it can sit on top just like a saucer until gaskets kablouie. I'm going to post the clip area pic to seek advice on it as well.
thank you thank you thank you.

I would actually guess its the rear heater bypass. Did your heater T's get done recently??

Mine is leaking, and the leak shows on the bell housing in that exact manner. Whats weird is you can't see a trail leading down to that. Not sure what antifreeze tastes like but I'll take your word for it :rofl:

I will let you know asap.

First off you do not have a VVT engine. That is a broken water/coolant sensor. I don't know why but the 98-02 had two water sensors. If you see coolant coming from it, then it is filling the valley and following out the drain holes in back of block. It the come out the rear weep hole on bottom front of bell housing in your first picture. Call any Toyota parts counter; tell them you need the water sensor, that's on the front water by-pass. Tell them it's the small one just below the larger one. They'll figure it out.

Drain holes in engine block valley (starter removed)
01 Engine valley drain holes.jpg

Rear & front water bypass joint.jpg

Rear & front water bypass joint sensor.jpg

Last edited:
BTW:

Your forward propeller shaft (AKA drive shaft) slide yoke looks dry, so likely spiders (AKA unverseral) and rear is as well. They need lubing ~5K miles.

The not starting "because sometimes it won't turn over like it chokes out" IDK if has to do with water sensor, as I've never had unplugged while trying to start. But if air box not sealed on Throttle body properly or certain vacuum lines not on properly holding vacuum, it will act "chokes out" (PISS; we don't have a choke)

Ask your mechince what he torque the intake manifold bolts down to. Do in persons so he can't cheat on answer. (Torque 13ft=lbf)

Best to find a mechanic that specializes in our 100 series. @duggy in Houston TX IIRC, he could probably steer you in right direction.

I have had a vehicle not start from a broken water temp sensor plug, so its definitely a good place to start. This was after completing a timing belt job, which was pretty worry some, but after the new temp sensor went in, all was good.

Yep, we are in Houston, Texas. If you need anything, please feel free to reach out. We only work on Toyotas. Even if you need advice, we are here.

OK here is where I am at on the rear seal. (I'll forward your replies above to my mechanic on the water sensor etc.)

We checked all the hoses and Ts, all great shape. Put a pressure test on the system over 5 minutes at PSI. Never dropped, no air or liquid from any where.
I took off flywheel plate cover and 1+ ounces dripped out. Over than a tiny amount of dirt gunk on inside of plate there is nothing Perfectly clean inside
IMG_20180313_145909.jpg
. I wiped the bottom under the wheel itself. Clean as a whistle. Ran engine and looked in by flywheel, couldn't see anything inside. It is seeping thru seems to outside bolts AND I FEEL NO liquid inside. There is no other sign of moisture except seep thru outside bolts.

(BTW I found the sensor connector clip on my other problem and that is all good.)

IMG_20180313_141025.jpg

IMG_20180313_140742.jpg

IMG_20180313_140909.jpg

IMG_20180313_145920.jpg

the crud on my finger was from the plate, not inside and consider this is almost 20yrs old.

(And for you wisenheimers you should know what AF -sweet taste is vs tranny & others. Esp when both are red.)

Mechanic said there was no signs of water leakage or signs of it on top of the manifold because replaced starter few months ago. The sensors were fine it was just the plastic clip connector that crumbled from age.

I did pass on your comments to him

I will let you know asap.
First off you do not have a VVT engine. That is a broken water/coolant sensor. I don't know why but the 98-02 had two water sensors. If you see coolant coming from it, then it is filling the valley and following out the drain holes in back of block. It the come out the rear weep hole on bottom front of bell housing in your first picture. Call any Toyota parts counter; tell them you need the water sensor, that's on the front water by-pass. Tell them it's the small one just below the larger one. They'll figure it out.

Drain holes in engine block valley (starter removed)
View attachment 1653017

View attachment 1653016
View attachment 1653015
I passed on your replies & pics to mechanic and commented below. Thank you very much for your advice. I'll post follow up as I get it. Mechanic is a sharp young fellow and knows Toyotas very well and has done bunch of work for me this past year.

I had a similar leak that turned out to be a weeping water pump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom