Builds Trail Tailor- Custom Armor Build plus a few things (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Out of curiosity. To install this (like all my other storage lids and all others similar on the market) you have to cut out the internals with a jigsaw/cutoff wheel. If all the holes are left as is on the stamped tailgate this still requires a bit of modification to the tailgate to install. So, what would holes matter.

This mod is like a snorkel install.... cutting the metal requires some insanity, but if the end result is what the person is after... its all good.

J
I’m with you on modifying to get what you want out of your truck. I’m a guy that also buys a truck, and does everything possible to never get rid of it.

That said, I’ve found that if needing to sell a modified truck, it’s better to remove and sell aftermarket parts, and return the truck to as close to stock as possible.

You can get much more money back, by not trying to find the one right buyer, but selling to multiple people that want certain parts of your truck.

For your snorkel example. I’ve put snorkels on my trucks. My last truck (the only one I’ve sold) I wish I never installed the snorkel. It left me trying to always keep in mind, that I’d rather try to keep the truck returnable to stock, than to start cutting and drilling. And this is coming from a guy whose 200 is Line-X’ed.

Like an Alu-box, if you say you bought a box for $350, people would think you’re crazy. But if you need that particular item, it makes sense.

$650 for a little more tailgate storage is crazy. But for the right buyer it makes sense. And I like the versatility to have options to sell this expensive mod separate of the truck, to get the most back out of selling the whole truck.

As you said yourself, "it's a cool mod, but not for everyone."

Last edited:
Jason,
I need some kind of date for my bumpers. I'm down to the line now. I'm loading my second shipping container June 22 then flying overseas. So we aren't far from your predicted date.

May 3rd you thought "the absolute worst case would be 2nd week of June."

May 19 I was told it "would be 2 weeks"

If I don't have time to install them I can stick them in the container and do it in Ukraine.

Thanks for the help,
Jim

PM sent. Let me know.

J

My $0.02 (so feel free to walk by without bending over to pick it up)...
  • For my personal needs rotomolded plastic would be fine. (Aluminum is overkill but would certainly work)
    • My interior is tan, not gray/black, so whatever I did I'd want to try to color match, or at least get kinds close.
  • No issue with drilling some additional holes in the interior side to screw down the storage space, but exterior would be right out.
    • If I'm cutting out reinforcements/braces in the tailgate I'd want to ensure I'm not compromising structural integrity.
  • I don't need a locking lid, though it's a great option for those with firearms.
  • I really want something without carpet. Seriously what a stupid design. Mine is perpetually dirty and slightly stained
  • Reasonable cost
To be fair, what you're designing and what I'd actually like are probably different.

I would be OK with drilling a few holes, as long as they are hidden if you return the tailgate to the factory carpeted setup. Not crazy about hacking out the structure though, I sit and stand on mine often and it is why I think the Cruiser is the best tailgate setup out there.

I also think the carpeted cover is stupid, mine is also perpetually dirty. Wondering if there is a possibility for some sort of durable plastic (ABS?) surface that could be used, that could also be easily replaced if it got scratched/scuffed.

But if the price that @Taco2Cruiser mentions is close to reality, I'm not a potential customer. Not worth it to me.

I’m wary of drilling holes. If that is required, please provide a good template that makes it easy to correctly locate the holes. Measuring is right out — I’m sure I would measure incorrectly and drill the hole in the wrong place. I would prefer not drilling, even if the resulting location of the screws doesn’t look as nice. If I have to drill, then that increases the possibility that I will mess it up. In contrast, even I can likely manage to insert a screw into an existing hole.

I would not be OK with cutting out pieces.

The key features for me would be 1) no more stained carpet, 2) locks so I can store a firearm. My interior is tan.

I’m fine with drilling holes if I’m already cutting out the guts, but did I see a cost of $650? If that’s the range, I doubt I’d do it so my opinion may not matter. Is your reason for not recommending the hi lift because it could dent the bottom of the storage compartment which would be visible on the exterior of the vehicle?

It's funny how each series group reacts to pricing...

60, 80 and 100 guys don't bat an eye at the 550-800.00 tailgate lid price, where so far the 200 guys don't see the value.

The 200 guys will spend upwards of 6500.00- on front and rear bumpers without hesitation, but the 60, 80, 100 guys clam up on a 2500.00 quote for bumpers. I love sales demographics, its fascinating to me.

Like I said, it's a product some will like/want and others won't. Same goes for the other series guys.

J

I wasn’t balking at the price, it just doesn’t add enough storage/usefulness for me at that price, like you said — foe me.
Bumpers, now you’re talking! You should make some of those. I’d buy one! :worms:

To me, it solves a pesky problem:

Discrete (and therefore much more secure) storage of sensitive items that are just a bit too long for drawers. More than just lockable...if I lock my bumper swingout closed, it is just about impossible to get to due to being behind drawers inside, and swingout outside.

This special use makes the mod worth more per cubic inch than general storage space...to me.

I'm interested to see what the finished product looks like as the tailgate "real estate" is in prime position for easy-access storage items. A big part of the build process for me is to maximize storage while minimizing both weight (probably not obvious but I do try!) and the time it takes to access any item. Part of my current strategy is placing items in locations where I don't need to move one thing to access another. More storage space in the tailgate would help with this. To me it's not about being able to take more stuff as much as putting everything in its right place.

Worth $800ish to me? No idea at the moment as I need to test/refine my new setup but it doesn't sound off to me if it solves the problem.

60, 80 and 100 guys don't bat an eye at the 550-800.00 tailgate lid price, where so far the 200 guys don't see the value.

The 200 guys will spend upwards of 6500.00- on front and rear bumpers without hesitation, but the 60, 80, 100 guys clam up on a 2500.00 quote for bumpers. I love sales demographics, its fascinating to me.

Like I said, it's a product some will like/want and others won't. Same goes for the other series guys.

J

I’ll go out on a limb here and say 200 buyers aren’t as scared of the price as they are of cutting and drilling to install it ;)

I’m wary of drilling holes. If that is required, please provide a good template that makes it easy to correctly locate the holes. Measuring is right out — I’m sure I would measure incorrectly and drill the hole in the wrong place. I would prefer not drilling, even if the resulting location of the screws doesn’t look as nice. If I have to drill, then that increases the possibility that I will mess it up. In contrast, even I can likely manage to insert a screw into an existing hole.

I would not be OK with cutting out pieces.

The key features for me would be 1) no more stained carpet, 2) locks so I can store a firearm. My interior is tan.

The tailgate lid itself would be the template. Looks like 6 of 12 holes with stay. So install a bolt in each one of those and then the lid is solid and in position. Drilling the new holes would then be "guided" and pretty much idiot proof at that point.

J

@linuxgod your front has moved up a few days on the board and will get started sometime Wednesday.

Thanks for your patience.

Jason
Thanks Jason.

Can you ship to a commercial location or just to a central shipping depot?

J

For me it’s a lot of $ for marginally more space. But I don’t need a lockable space either.

Maybe if it’s big enough to fit a ton of recovery gear I’d still do it, rather than tote a 50# bag of tools and gear in the trunk. Trunk space is a premium. I’ll let you know when I see the finished product.

I don’t think the price is crazy for what it offers. It’s just that not all of us need everything it offers.

Thanks Jason.

Can you ship to a commercial location or just to a central shipping depot?

Commercial address will be cheaper for you and usually a day or two faster as well. Once I know its coming back from powder I'll get an address and we can finalize everything then.

J

Went in early today and got a few items knocked out. @linuxgod front is recut and will get finished up in a day or two.

Spent lunch at an eye doctor appointment. I hate getting my eyes dilated and wearing those HUGE cataract surgery sunglasses afterwards for hours....

Pulled the GEN 1 jig out to tack up a few new orders. Andrea calls it the inquisition device.

IMG_20180614_111258136.jpg
IMG_20180614_110413487.jpg
IMG_20180614_110342889.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom