Trail gear spindle nut damage heads up on 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes more then likely if you have flanges and use provided screws and lock washer it could touch and grind them off. Takes 5 mins to check

Reactions: RFB
Pardon my ignorance. Is this to replace the 2 nuts and locking washer in front wheel so the bearing don't come lose? Thanks.

Yes more then likely if you have flanges and use provided screws and lock washer it could touch and grind them off. Takes 5 mins to check

ask coz I don't .. I have hubs in both cruisers using the trail gear system ..

Any new feed back or updates? I'm going to be installing the trailgear nuts today and wanted to see if everyone is still running the button head replacement. Also does anyone put a drop of thread lock on them or just use the lock washer?

Any new feed back or updates? I'm going to be installing the trailgear nuts today and wanted to see if everyone is still running the button head replacement. Also does anyone put a drop of thread lock on them or just use the lock washer?

Been running mine for a couple years...no issues. I would not put locktite on such a small screw.

Button heads I provided a pic of no lock washer, no thread lock. Have been good

Thanks @ajax1 I used your picture to walk in and get those exact screws! Just was checking that everything was still holding tight.

I installed the Train Gear nuts on mine about a month ago and after seeing this thread went and got the button head screws. Swapped them out last weekend. Luckily no damage to the original screws but there was a VERY thin layer of grease between the heads and the flanges. I used the button head screws from Ace with the original lock washer and no thread locker.

So this is what I found when I installed the TrailGear nuts. It was only the right side. It seams I can't keep the right side adjusted. The left spindle had been replaced at some time by a PO. So now I know "the what" happened but don't know "the how" of my loose wheel bearings. The nuts were tight and I removed and cleaned the bearings. Didn't find any damage so I repacked them and put it all back together. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks to the Mud team for the info on the button screws. They worked perfectly. I bought two spares to go in the trail kit.

20170304_181933.jpg

20170304_181938.jpg

So this is what I found when I installed the TrailGear nuts. It was only the right side. It seams I can't keep the right side adjusted. The left spindle had been replaced at some time by a PO. So now I know "the what" happened but don't know "the how" of my loose wheel bearings. The nuts were tight and I removed and cleaned the bearings. Didn't find any damage so I repacked them and put it all back together. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks to the Mud team for the info on the button screws. They worked perfectly. I bought two spares to go in the trail kit.

View attachment 1414244

View attachment 1414245

Common wear item, time to replace

Common wear item, time to replace
I made sure to install the new one with the nuts. I've had trouble with the right side staying tight since I my Cruiser a year ago. Beginning to wonder if the spindle is the problem

I just pulled mine apart for the front axle service, and found just a nub on one screw, the head on the other completely gone (and unaccounted for), same situation on both sides! I was able to get the screw out with pliers on the side where the head was completely gone.

Hoping to pick up some button head screws in the morning before I start putting things back together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom