Trail gear spindle lock nut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not knocking the product as I have not tried them but, the OE fitment has worked for years on the 80, and the last 32 ton truck (8 legger) I used to drive. There must have been a lot of people not fitting the original parts correctly to prompt marketing it.

Regards

Dave

Im doing new brakes and rotors in the next few months so i grabbed a set . Thanks for the info on this product.

Not knocking the product as I have not tried them but, the OE fitment has worked for years on the 80, and the last 32 ton truck (8 legger) I used to drive. There must have been a lot of people not fitting the original parts correctly to prompt marketing it.

Regards

Dave

Yes but with taller tyres this changes things, so this product is a good improvement, I was going to make my own before I saw they'er made by some one

Has anyone found any online supplier for those screws like Amazon?
m3x10.5 others have posted M3 0.5x10???

Yes but with taller tyres this changes things, so this product is a good improvement, I was going to make my own before I saw they'er made by some one

Taller tyres may apply more load but that does not alter anything, if set right with the OE setup or this single nut the bearing is pre loaded the same way. I agree adjustment would be quicker, and no need to occasionally purchase another locking ring but that's about it.

As I said earlier, trucks use a second locking ring 80 style, so I guess convenience is reason enough?

Regards

Dave

Has anyone found any online supplier for those screws like Amazon?
m3x10.5 others have posted M3 0.5x10???
No need for amazon I think if I remeber right it was around 2 bucks at hardware store

IMG_5224.PNG
My bad 27 cents here is what I have used been going good for 2 years

Regards

Dave

Must be. Mine used to be loose every 10,000 miles, sometimes less. I tried over tightening, replacing nuts and spindles, thrust washers, lock washers, etc and they would still come loose. Drove me nuts. I know of two other people with the same issue. Personally I think it is the way the thrust washer/bearing race interface is designed. The thrust washer gets caught on the spinning bearing, the nut digs in and gets forced past the lock washer and boom, loose wheel bearings. Not anymore. Worth every penny.

Personally I think it is the way the thrust washer/bearing race interface is designed

This is essentially the same with either OEM, or trail gear isn't it? There's a keyed thrust washer for both of them.
Only time I've seen thrust washers spun is if the bearings are in poor shape.

I put trail gear locking nuts in my 105 last time I re-did FWBs, my thinking being it would simplify maintenance a little. Not sure it actually makes a lot of difference.
It's a nicely made product though.

I don't think there's anything wrong with OEM, but it sure is a PITA. Thing nuts, locktabs, etc. which are really good as a design element but the Trail Gear aka Locktup hub nuts take care of a big problem with the OEM which is the thin twin nuts being tricky to keep a socket locked into when tightening (43 ftlb for the first one, then 60 for the second one).

Getting that correct so the bearing pre-load stays within spec doesn't always work the first time.

Have checked my front wheel bearing and kingpin bearing place today while trying to narrow down possibilities for remaining steering play and wandering. Bearings are all fine. Tie-rod ends appear all fine (still going to get a wheel align done though to make sure the toe setting is correct). The locktup4x4 spindle nuts are still snug as a bug in a rug and I see no need to remove the Aisin hubs to re-tighten them.

Just got done rebuilding my rear axle and this spindle nut looks a lot like the rear spindle nut. Not exactly, but similar and I can see the advantage. Does the original front spindle nut wrench work on this TG nut? I'm assuming the replacement pan head screws to get would be a Phillips head, not slotted?

Just got done rebuilding my rear axle and this spindle nut looks a lot like the rear spindle nut. Not exactly, but similar and I can see the advantage. Does the original front spindle nut wrench work on this TG nut? I'm assuming the replacement pan head screws to get would be a Phillips head, not slotted?

Uses exactly the same principle.
Nissan has used this system on front hubs previously too.

Yes, uses 54 mm hub nut socket

I just received my nuts.

The wife got them down off the mantle for me.......

Planning on installing this weekend.

I bought from Summit Racing, as they were less and I had no shipping because I bought other stuff too.

Just want to check because I'll be installing this kit tomorrow. Does this single spindle nut replace both nuts on the OEM setup? (For 1 side) Reason I ask is the TG instructions do not mention or show removing 2 nuts. So only the one TG spindle nut is needed? I know it's thicker - actually about the same thickness as both OEM nuts put together. I'm attaching the instructions for reference.

Attachments

• TG SPINDLE NUT INST.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 106
Just want to check because I'll be installing this kit tomorrow. Does this single spindle nut replace both nuts on the OEM setup? (For 1 side) Reason I ask is the TG instructions do not mention or show removing 2 nuts. So only the one TG spindle nut is needed? I know it's thicker - actually about the same thickness as both OEM nuts put together. I'm attaching the instructions for reference.

Correct, replaces both nuts and the star washer. Work on rigs that have them, I'm :meh: don't see any real advantage.

Correct, replaces both nuts and the star washer. Work on rigs that have them, I'm :meh: don't see any real advantage.
Thanks for confirming. Looks to be simpler. Similar to rear axle spindle set up. Most opinions say stronger, but I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom