Toytoa CB - CB40F, CB40M Information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats, and nicely done. Someone, somewhere in the future, doing a restoration, will have a burning question about these radios, and you will have provided the answer. Very cool and out, good buddy.

Congrats, and nicely done. Someone, somewhere in the future, doing a restoration, will have a burning question about these radios, and you will have provided the answer. Very cool and out, good buddy.

that person happens to be me.

i found one for my 79 celica a few years back, got the whole wiring harness for it, but no distructions on wiring.

ended up having to remove the entire dash, about 4billion times harder then a fj40 dash, to just get the stupid thing in.

here's hoping it works when wired up.

heres what it looks like installed in my celica
DSC03667.jpg

thanks again for posting this, made my day.:D

I have a CB40F but haven't mounted it. I want to keep the working AM radio and have a harness to switch the audio when detected on the CB. I've read references about mounting it under the dash but have never seen a picture of that not to mention it wouldn't fit anywhere but under the steering column (in a '78). The only drawing I've seen is of the CB mounted on the front of the console. Anyone mounted the CB40 anywhere apart from the dash opening? Any pictures or knowledge of an actual dealer-installed CB40?

I bought a hump mount bracket
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434335826.705686.jpg
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434335859.384126.jpg
for mine. I haven't secured the mount to to the vehicle yet. I don't want want to make any holes and I couldn't see a way to mount it under the dash. Was thinking about using some heavy duty magnets to hold the mount to the hump.

I bought a hump mount bracket for mine. I haven't secured the mount to to the vehicle yet. I don't want want to make any holes and I couldn't see a way to mount it under the dash. Was thinking about using some heavy duty magnets to hold the mount to the hump.
I've decided to mount it to the front of the console like Toyota (apparently) did. I JB Welded closed about ten PO holes in that console years ago. Guess I'll make a couple new ones.

Btw there at least 2 other threads here that have pretty extensive documentation and information on both units.

Btw there at least 2 other threads here that have pretty extensive documentation and information on both units.
Yes, and among all that info there doesn't seem to be a single photo of a dealer-installed CB40. The only thing I've seen is the crude drawing with a part/document number on it implying that it was an official diagram illustrating for the Toyota dealer where and how to install a CB40 on the center console. The electrical harness connections are well documented by Toyota on how to hook one up to an existing AM radio, 8-track, or both (depending on the Toyota model), but apart from FJ40 owners reinstalling one in the radio slot (usually without the trim piece) I've yet to see an original install. I've read user references to installing "below the dash" but there is no "below the dash" in a '78 unless you're attaching it near the steering column and I see nothing online that leads me to believe any Toyota dealer did this. Just thought for sure I'd have found even a single photo of a AM radio and CB40 combo install by now.

i had seen some below dash... in front of metal center console and also on tranny hump.... here is a manual for the center console
cant recall here i found this... maybe on mud here or possible @Landpimp ?
Thanks. That's the somewhat crude diagram I alluded to. The required holes actually match up with holes in my console for a CB, speaker, and mic holder. Don't know if it was a dealer install or PO install.

I think this is a OEM document. Maybe produced by or for the dealer market in the U.S.

One of the kits I have contains the support bracket and adapters to mount the radio in the dash cutout. Unfortunate it is missing the mounting bracket.

The config shown here won't work on a 79.

It's the one item I need to make my CB40F install completely stock, but I can't bring myself to drill those holes.
I totally agree. Wish there was a ball mount held on by a magnet. I just can't bring myself to drill holes anywhere on my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom