Toyota R&D Reading, We Want a 70 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shotts,

You should not have to justify anything, to each his own. And no I will not stoop to your level with the pics. (here is where I insert the smiley face, but I am not smart enough to figure out how!!)

Aseif007 said:
Shotts,

You should not have to justify anything, to each his own. And no I will not stoop to your level with the pics. (here is where I insert the smiley face, but I am not smart enough to figure out how!!)

:) :D
Take your pick Drew. ;p
(All in fun Andrew!)

Aseif007 said:
The rest,

I am sick of talking about this FJ. To me this issue is dead,

Maybe you haven't noticed. This is the FJ forum. Here we talk about FJCs. If it is popping open to this thread whenever you log onto IH8Mud without your consent, we should talk to Woody about that.

Otherwise, feel free to stop talking about the FJC.

White Shark's demographic is smaller that 1000 people. I would bet there ain't 1000 people who would buy a rattley brand new truck anywhere. Why when you can buy a used truck for a fraction of the price with all the creature comforts he wants built right in.

I prefer Miss Hayek to Mrs. Mutt anyway.
salma-hayek-0021.jpg

Aseif007 said:
The small percentage of people who remember what a Toyota is supposed to be would buy a 70.
Hmm, I highly doubt that. First off I don't know "what a Toyota is spposed to be". If you go by what Toyota has made the most of then Toyota is sposeto be a mini-truck that is well designed, but under-powered with no lockers, but lots of potential. If you go by Toyota's flag-ship vehicle (Land Cruiser) then they are sposeto be a larger, heavier vehicle, always designed for some level of luxury, still underpowered, rarely has lockers but lots of potential. If you go by what they sell the most of now it would be a family car or SUV with some nice features, good engineering and lots of potential (or atleast lots of miles to go before problems).

So the only consistent item here is the vehicle is well made. I would bet money Toyota has made far, FAR more Camry's, Highlanders, Rav4's, than they ever did FJ40's or 70-series. The 40 didn't sell well when it was new here and a 70 wouldn't sell well either. Percentage-wise nobody wants a rough vehicle anymore...look at the Peterson 4x4 award (means nothing but think about this) for a few years ago. The GX470 won over the Rubicon. The Rubi had both axles locked, the GX had none, the Rubi had removable top, the GX didn't. However, on the highway the GX was so much superior and did so much better through every test except for possibly a more hardcore wheeling test that they gave the GX the award. I'm happy Lexus got the award, but it definetly shows how few people want a rough 4x4. I laughed when I saw it because as much as most of those magazines love jxxp, they had to have the jxxp get beat by a Lexus...hahaha.

Come on guys, we can get this thread up to atleast 10 pages!! :D

By the way:

Salma's the 60 (built tough, rugged attitude)
Allyssa is the 80 (smooth, more refined, yet adventuras)
Jennifer Luv is the 100 (the best built, almost perfectly designed, IFS provides less droop)

We can't post a "40 girl". She'd be underage. :D

Aseif007 said:
White Shark,
Did you just convert your FJ-80 to a 350 a couple of months ago? Are you near Stockton?

The rest,

I am sick of talking about this FJ. To me this issue is dead, Toyota is done producing capable US spec Cruisers and we have to deal with it. And I am sick of the 100 series owners trying to justfy the $50,000+ difference between their cars and all the other older vehicles. They know that the older Landcruisers are a better value, and that the same money spent on an older vehicle will yield an overall better end result. But in all honestly the 100 series is a very nice Landcruiser, not for me but still a good product. They might not be for everybody, the same can be said about the 70 series. The small percentage of people who remember what a Toyota is supposed to be would buy a 70. But that does not drive our market, the majority does. Personally I don;t like being a part of that majority. But to each his own.

MAYBE I SHOULD POST A PICTURE OF SHANIA TO MAKE THIS THREAD MEANINGFULL!!!

Yes. Stockton? No. But you have the 3FE.
Aseif007 is correct. The FJ killed the original Cruiser concept. I remember growing up in a 40 series. It was perfect for the job and the 70 is the next best thing.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
I luv that post. Ya, baby. Make an axx of yourself.
Got a great idea.....Go and start a thread called "what's the best beast for rock crawling". That way you don't need to read our posts about our $60-75 trucks. Oh, and by the way.....I could care less about what you like/ride. If I wanted what you wanted/have I could probably buy 4 of them to my one 100.

OK, all in good fun now.

As for the 70 SFA, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that change is not always better. The KISS principle for instance. The ancient Greeks called it "The Elegance of Simplicity". There is nothing simple about a 100 series. A 70 series? Yes, elegant in a functional way. I need and want utility. Out of touch with today's market? Possibly, but I'd be willing to bet that a stripped down GX Landcruiser with steel wheels and vinyl seats, selling for $25,000 would outsell your $60,000 100 series 10:1. I don't care if you have every model Toyota ever made. That is not the issue here. The thread is titled, " Toyota R&D Reading, We Want a 70 Series", or translated into the parlance of the 100 series forum, "Shut yer piehole and go climb under your IFS rock where you and all of your buddies can have a IFS lovefest and sing songs of solidarity."

We are lobbying for the 70 series. Impractical? Sure, why the hell not. Toyota loves me and wants to keep me happy. It gets me as giddy as a school girl to think about owning a truck that rides rougher than your 100 series. That gets me through my day. You obviously feel insecure about your truck and other such insecure personal issues that you need to compensate for that by raining on the SFA crowd's parade. Go home to your 100 series forum and compare cup holders, wood grain dashes and carbon fiber print consoles. The rest of us have work to do. The 70 was built for work not for screwing around malls. Safaris, mines, military, geology, bush rangers, archaeology, expedition, etc. These jobs usually involve a truck that is used hard on the job, not just for dicking around in the rocks for fun. :cheers: We all love cruisers just the same. I like SFA and you like having an IFS besides your 40, 60, 80, or whatever. Keep the IFS. Just don't expect us (the SFA crowd) to like or convert to your cause or way of thinking. SFA and 70 series all the way baby!

Last edited:
Yes I know this an FJ forum CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, I am just amazed at how many time we can all say the same thing over and over again. Yes IFS is the best, the old stuff sucks, the FJ is the best car toyota ever made along with the 100 series. I don't care because I would never buy that POS, but a 100 series I would buy. But not until the new LCs come out and the 100s go down in price!!

Hey SHARK,
How is the 350 with the A440F? How does it handle the power? I'm sure it is nice. Thanks again for the 3FE, it saved me a whole lot of hassel.

Aseif007 said:
Hey SHARK,
How is the 350 with the A440F? How does it handle the power? I'm sure it is nice. Thanks again for the 3FE, it saved me a whole lot of hassel.

There is more driveline clunking with the increased torque, but the power puts you back into the seat with plenty to spare. Norm Needham, famous guru of all things cruiser with the aggregate knowledge of everyone on this board crammed into his head and then some, once stated that in Australia, the A440F was well tested on the racing circuit and shown to be good up to around 600 hp stock and up to 800 or so modified. Big numbers, but if anyone would know, it would be Norm. The 300 hp is nothing for that Coaster tranny, but the 700R4 would probably be better suited for the V8 torque curve. Having said that, I would still keep the A440F to maintain the full time 4wd. I'm not racing anywhere and I drive the legal speed limit. I like the combination and it works great for my application. Next up, 70 series. As for the FJ Cruiser? Kinda like making out with a fat girl. Big and soft ride. Probably lots of fun but you wouldn't want your friends to see or catch you on one. I wouldn't know. Maybe those IFS 100 series guys could let us know. :D :D :D

Aseif007 said:
Yes I know this an FJ forum CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, I am just amazed at how many time we can all say the same thing over and over again. Yes IFS is the best, the old stuff sucks, the FJ is the best car toyota ever made along with the 100 series. I don't care because I would never buy that POS, but a 100 series I would buy. But not until the new LCs come out and the 100s go down in price!!

Hey SHARK,

I guess i don't understand why you would bother to click into to this forum if you don't have anything to say. You hate them. Why even come in here? To start s***? If so, then go pound sand.

If you want to talk about 70 series, then go over to the international forum, because theat's the only place you will be able to get one. They ain't coming here.

Let's see, here....

Shocker at 3:51 PM said:
Is it my opinion that IFS is superior off-road to a solid axle? No. HAS ANYONE SAID THAT IN THIS THREAD? NO!!!! All Shotts has said is that he wouldn't trade the IFS in his 100 for a SFA. He likes the compromise! Get it????

along with much more in the post along the same line. But not but a few hours later....

Aseif007 at 1:54 AM said:
Yes I know this an FJ forum CAPTAIN OBVIOUS, I am just amazed at how many time we can all say the same thing over and over again. Yes IFS is the best, the old stuff sucks, the FJ is the best car toyota ever made along with the 100 series.

I think the same thing gets posted again and again because some of you have a reading comprehension problem.

I like posting in the FJ forum. I get more laughs reading FJ than in chat. Would I buy a FJ? Sure, why not. The kids will be in high school soon and it would make a decent ride for them and it beats the crap out of the Highlander and will likely be less $ than a 4-Runner. A rear locker and tight build would make it a decent occasional surf rig and dirt road ride for the kids. I wouldn't drive it. I like my SFA too much thanks. As for myself, I'd go for the 70. Oh wait....I've already mentioned that. I like the comment about going to the international forum because that's the only place you'll ever get a 70. Funny as heck and probably true. We can all dream in the meantime though. :)

Last edited:
<<I guess I don't understand why you would bother to click into to this forum if you don't have anything to say. You hate them. Why even come in here? To start s***? If so, then go pound sand>>

Thanks for your concern Gumby, but the reason I can post in this forum is because it is the FJ forum. This is where people go to post about the FJ Cruiser. Not sure if you noticed but everything in this section is CHAT because again if you haven't noticed the FJ is not even available yet. I repeat myself so many times because "I am sick of talking about this FJ. To me this issue is dead, Toyota is done producing capable US spec Cruisers and we have to deal with it."
And I'm not sure if you noticed but the title of this thread is “Toyota R&D Reading, We Want a 70 Series". That means that people who want a 70 series should post here. I in fact would love a 70 series; therefore I fit into the profile of somebody that would post in this forum. So these are the reasons I would bother to click into this forum, I have something to say.

Shotts,
I was serious about not figuring out how to insert the icons. I feel dumb asking how to do it, so don’t make me. I didn’t think I would stoop to your picture posting level, but the last couple of pictures were very nice.... not sure if you understood that my comments about the 100 series were genuine. I do think it is a good vehicle; I am just not a fan of IFS (sorry, I don't want to hurt anyone's brain with some repeat material here.) But if you buy any 4X4 and then spend $50,000 you will have a crazy end result. The 100 series comes ready to go, don’t need to spend the $50K on sound deadening, smooth tranny, suspension, plush interior, warranty....... I was driving my 01" Taco yesterday and I remembered why I don’t like IFS. I was driving at ~25 MPH and ahead was a patch of road that was cut out and re-paved very poorly. Instead of being flat, it was very bumpy. And unevenly bumpy. The ground was dry, and I hit the bumps and the front end skips around on the bumps. How would the 100 series handle something like that? (I am asking so I can know, not to start s***? If so, then go pound sand") I know that when I drive over this with the stock FJ-62 it handles it fine. I know the 01' Taco has a different suspension as the 100, but I am still curious?

Shark,
So are you saying that if you did the conversion again you would go 700R4? How is your gas mileage?

P.S.-"I think the same thing gets posted again and again because some of you have a reading comprehension problem" INDEED!!

Last edited:
Aseif007 said:
Shark,
So are you saying that if you did the conversion again you would go 700R4? How is your gas mileage?

P.S.-"I think the same thing gets posted again and again because some of you have a reading comprehension problem" INDEED!!

I was getting 10-11mpg with the 3FE. The 350 gets around 12-13mpg with the Kaymar full length square tube tradesman roofrack and a spare tire on top. I figure without the rack and tire up there, I'd probably get 14 mpg. That and double the power makes all the difference. The 700R4 would be my preferred choice if I had put it in my 60 which had locking hubs anyway. I wanted the 80 to keep the full time 4wd intact, so maintaining the A440F was the way to go. I'm happy with the setup. Now, as for the 70 series, a nice troopy would work well. Sign me up.

Aseif007 said:
<<I guess I don't understand why you would bother to click into to this forum if you don't have anything to say. You hate them. Why even come in here? To start s***? If so, then go pound sand>>

Thanks for your concern Gumby, but the reason I can post in this forum is because it is the FJ forum. This is where people go to post about the FJ Cruiser. Not sure if you noticed but everything in this section is CHAT because again if you haven't noticed the FJ is not even available yet. I repeat myself so many times because "I am sick of talking about this FJ. To me this issue is dead, Toyota is done producing capable US spec Cruisers and we have to deal with it."
And I'm not sure if you noticed but the title of this thread is “Toyota R&D Reading, We Want a 70 Series". That means that people who want a 70 series should post here. I in fact would love a 70 series; therefore I fit into the profile of somebody that would post in this forum. So these are the reasons I would bother to click into this forum, I have something to say.

Shotts,
I was serious about not figuring out how to insert the icons. I feel dumb asking how to do it, so don’t make me. I didn’t think I would stoop to your picture posting level, but the last couple of pictures were very nice.... not sure if you understood that my comments about the 100 series were genuine. I do think it is a good vehicle; I am just not a fan of IFS (sorry, I don't want to hurt anyone's brain with some repeat material here.) But if you buy any 4X4 and then spend $50,000 you will have a crazy end result. The 100 series comes ready to go, don’t need to spend to $50K on sound deadening, smooth tranny, suspension, plush interior, warranty....... I was driving my 01" Taco yesterday and I remembered why I don’t like IFS. I was driving at ~25 MPH and ahead was a patch of road that was cut out and re-paved very poorly. Instead of being flat, it was very bumpy. And unevenly bumpy. The ground was dry, and I hit the bumps and the front end skips around on the bumps. How would the 100 series handle something like that? (I am asking so I can know, not to start s***? If so, then go pound sand") I know that when I drive over this with the stock FJ-62 it handles it fine. I know the 01' Taco has a different suspension as the 100, but I am still curious?

Shark,

Not making fun of ya on the icons. Sorry buddy. Just click o one and it pops to where your curser is. :)

As far as bumps and the like? It's unanimous that IFS far surpasses SLA on road. The 80's the beast that flings all over the place regarding bumps and road irregularities. The 100 tracks as though it's uneffected.
Our 2004 Taco on the other hand SUCKS, though it's not due to IFS. It's due to the VERY soft front suspension and EXTREMELY hard rear suspension. Toyota screwed up on the 2004 Double Cab. Can't wait to lift/re-suspend it.

(In the hope of continuing this thread so Shotts can post more hot pics I'll post)
White Shark said:
Out of touch with today's market? Possibly, but I'd be willing to bet that a stripped down GX Landcruiser with steel wheels and vinyl seats, selling for $25,000 would outsell your $60,000 100 series 10:1.
I don't think that's true. If that were true then whatever the best made vehicle for the money, would sell the best. However time and time again that has proved to be not true. The LX470 outsells the Land Cruiser almost 2:1, yet when loaded up (about the only way they come) can be as much as $10K more! The GX470, which when fully loaded (again, about the only way they come) can easily tip $53K, yet it FAR outsells the Land Cruiser, shockingly so actually. Great vehicles all of them, but cheap doesn't equal sales it would appear. How many vehicles does Hyundai sell in the US? How about Kia? (I don't know real numbers, but I'll bet it's far less than anything Toyota sells, even for a comparible model)

Aseif007 said:

I have to agree with Gumby, still not sure why this is whole thread is in the FJ Cruiser forum. If your "sick of talking about it", it does not show. Maybe Gumby will do the FJ Cruiser forum a favor and move this to chat!
Shotts,
I was serious about not figuring out how to insert the icons. I feel dumb asking how to do it, so don’t make me. I didn’t think I would stoop to your picture posting level, but the last couple of pictures were very nice.... not sure if you understood that my comments about the 100 series were genuine. I do think it is a good vehicle; I am just not a fan of IFS (sorry, I don't want to hurt anyone's brain with some repeat material here.) But if you buy any 4X4 and then spend $50,000 you will have a crazy end result. The 100 series comes ready to go, don’t need to spend the $50K on sound deadening, smooth tranny, suspension, plush interior, warranty.......
Not sure what you're trying to say, but their have been alot of posts about crazy people spending $50k on a Land Cruiser, keep in mind that many people on this board bought their LC used, just like you probably did, because they wanted a great rig but let someone else take the depreciation hit. I think the ~$20-25k that most guys have spent on a UZJ100 is a good deal, even compared to a $20-25k FJ40 (purchase price + mods), they are not the same but both could be considered great deals for their intended purpose.

So I guess every UZJ-100 was purchased used on this board, and nobody would buy one new? Is that what you are trying to say firetruck41?

The point I was trying to make is that the 100-series is a nice vehicle. I may bag on Shotts, but that is just for fun. (and I don;t like IFS, but I agree to disagree) A $13,000 fully loaded used FZJ-80, and a brand new UZJ-100 have a large price difference between them. So, if you spend said difference on the FZJ-80 you COULD possibly have a better end result than a stock UZJ-100. But if you wanted the good vehicle from the start with a warranty, the UZJ is the only option.

This whole FJ forum is chatt, remember....the FJ isn;t even comming out this year. Again, I come back to the title of the thread "Toyota R&D Reading, We Want a 70 Series". Let me explain what I tihnk this means. When all these FJ shananigans started some of us were naively under the impression that TMC R&D might read this thread/message board. I was one of those fools. I gave them the websight info and showed them where to go. So where better to request something than where you anticipate the target audience to be reading? And not sure if you noticed I was quoting myself from another post with the "I am sick of talking about this FJ. To me this issue is dead, Toyota is done producing capable US spec Cruisers and we have to deal with it." Seems like you repeat something here and people s*** their pants!!

So, I think that all you 70 haters should stop posting on this thread. There should be a 70 section, a 40 section, and a 55 section shouldn;t there? Not one lumped together section. I mean the FJ has its own section and nobody has even driven one or even seen one run yet. My FJ-55 is very jeallous/pissed off. He wants his own section.

The more I see this FJ the more I understand its place. But I don't have children so I don;t see its usefullness to me. Hopefully the FJ's success will lead to the importaion of the old technology, POS 70 series. I can't believe that nobody thinks that there would be 5000 units sold if the 70 series made it back here. I would buy one, but I am only one person.

Last edited:
I do not know any of you guys but I will share with you my take, involving my own personal experience/opinions on why I think these threads come to this.

I love old stuff. I build hand wired, vintage 50's guitar amps that are so primitive people ask why I even bother. I have been playing music, 50's and 60's blues for over 15 years in the professional and non professional venues across the country. I have spent the last 10 years restoring 1967-1969 Pan Shovel Harley Davidson FL and FLH's. I love the smell of old furniture and I get off on the smell of two cycle boat motors when they just start and bleed into the lake. I have more memories wrapped up in vintage items than I care to tell. I grew up poor. I can remember standing in food stamp lines with my mother while my Dad was drinking at home. I can remember wearing not only the most out of date clothes but also having the most out of date look. I did not have a car at 16, 18 or 21. I did VERY well in school. I landed a scholarship and went to a VERY nice college. I paid for it with work and grades. I did/do very well in business and now I do very well in life. I have a very good idea of what it means/feels like to drive old vehicles not because you want to but becasue you have to. As well, I can remember resenting, even hating that which was beyond my means merely because of what it represented. Each time I hear the 100 series slam or the I wish Toyota made a truck that was 30 years old but new, I keep shaking my head. And then it comes to this, which I have thought time and time over, if that type of vehicle dies, if that type of music dies, if the things that I value most in life die, what happens to my connection? Just a thought, because I have noticed that in the last two months, this forum has gotten a lot more negative. And it is obvious that it is not in good fun. Let's not make generalized comments about groups that buy certain models becasue the very same can be made to folks that buy old rattlers-trust me I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom