TOYOTA LANDCRUISER 200 SERIES - WHEELS AND TIRES - HELP NEEDED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to upgrade wheels and tires on my newly acquired stock vehicle (TLC 2014 200 series).
Current set up is stock wheels and tires (285/60R18 120H)

If I upgrade from 18" to 20" will there be rubbing issues?
Should I go all in and upgrade suspension, wheels and tires and the bumpers.

I had slight rubbing on tight turns in my Taco when I upgraded to the BFG K2, but I didn't need to do anything else.
So I am wondering if anyone else had these issues or recommendations.

This is my family daily driver and I'm not one to go crazy in modifications.
I just want to be able to have a set of wheels and tires to through on for overlanding trips and then switch back for the daily commute.

I will also take recommendations for tough wheel brands.

Thanks

Solution
Generally speaking a solid 33" all terrain tire will cover your needs and won't require much effort to make fit. Wheel offset plays a large role in what rubs and where. Stay between 25mm-50mm for the offset, higher offset number will poke out less and require less work/massaging to make fit. Stick with a 17" or 18" wheel. Popular sizes here are LT275/70R18, Lt285/70r17 and LT285/65r18 as these all will fit with minimal fuss. The stock wheels work well and have an offset of either 56mm (2016+) or 60mm (2008-2015).
Start with all terrain tires and then upgrade to sliders and skids if your wheeling dictates additional armor.

The biggest deciding factor should be your ultimate plans for the 200 (fire trails, camping, or rock...
Generally speaking a solid 33" all terrain tire will cover your needs and won't require much effort to make fit. Wheel offset plays a large role in what rubs and where. Stay between 25mm-50mm for the offset, higher offset number will poke out less and require less work/massaging to make fit. Stick with a 17" or 18" wheel. Popular sizes here are LT275/70R18, Lt285/70r17 and LT285/65r18 as these all will fit with minimal fuss. The stock wheels work well and have an offset of either 56mm (2016+) or 60mm (2008-2015).
Start with all terrain tires and then upgrade to sliders and skids if your wheeling dictates additional armor.

The biggest deciding factor should be your ultimate plans for the 200 (fire trails, camping, or rock crawling..etc) and how deep your wallet is as well as how much weight you are willing to add to the truck . There is a solid aftermarket for the 200.
The search function will provide a host of good info as this topic is discussed often on here.

Wheels choices that i'd recommend in the 5x150 bolt pattern:
toyota rock warriors
Evo corse Dakar
Method wheels
Icon wheels
Fuel wheels
Oz rally Raid

Last edited:
Solution
If you want some pure on road wheel/tires in the 20” vicinity, buy some lx570 take off’s. Then Put some all terrains sized like the guy above for your Offroad wheels.
The ultimate upgrade, however, is the rock warrior 17’s and 285 70 r17 k02’s IMO.

The biggest deciding factor should be your ultimate plans for the 200 (fire trails, camping, or rock crawling..etc) and how deep your wallet is as well as how much weight you are willing to add to the truck . There is a solid aftermarket for the 200.
The search function will provide a host of good info as this topic is discussed often on here.

Wheels choices that i'd recommend in the 5x150 bolt pattern:
toyota rock warriors
Evo corse Dakar
Method wheels
Icon wheels
Fuel wheels
Oz rally Raid
THANK YOU, This is the information I have been searching for and needing. Ultimate plans = TBD.

Just chiming in here. If I had a LC i would 100% be lifting it.
A mild lift and adjustable UCAs should open up some more options for you in tire choice as well.

Any recommendations for a decent comfortable highway tire with A/T capabilities for a 17” wheel and roughly 34” tire size? Doesn’t need to be E rated. It will be used on some gravel/dirt ranch roads that can get pretty rutty. Will keep my Ridge Grapplers for fall/winter.

Any recommendations for a decent comfortable highway tire with A/T capabilities for a 17” wheel and roughly 34” tire size? Doesn’t need to be E rated. It will be used on some gravel/dirt ranch roads that can get pretty rutty. Will keep my Ridge Grapplers for fall/winter.
According to the tire pressure charts which should include all the available tire sizes being made, the tallest Non LT tire for a 17" wheel is a P255/80R17 @ 33.06". A quick googling didn't turn up any results of anyone selling that size tire. I think, of generally available tires, the best you can do is the P285/70/R17 @32.71". There are a few AT tires in that size including the Toyo ATIII. These charts don't include ISO-Metric sizes since those only go by rating. Possibly there is a ISO-Metric rated tire in a larger size.

According to the tire pressure charts which should include all the available tire sizes being made, the tallest Non LT tire for a 17" wheel is a P255/80R17 @ 33.06". A quick googling didn't turn up any results of anyone selling that size tire. I think, of generally available tires, the best you can do is the P285/70/R17 @32.71". There are a few AT tires in that size including the Toyo ATIII. These charts don't include ISO-Metric sizes since those only go by rating. Possibly there is a ISO-Metric rated tire in a larger size.
How are the Toto AT3 for highway. I love my RG’s but they aren’t great for long distance highway above 75mph.

How are the Toto AT3 for highway. I love my RG’s but they aren’t great for long distance highway above 75mph.
I only have LT285/75R17 (E) ATIIIs, rather than the P-Metric version. Mine are loud over 70mph for sure. I had highway tires in stock size on 20s before that (Michelin Tour HP) and they were perfectly quiet.

Perhaps figure out your use case and plans before SCREAMING HELP NEEDED ? This isn't TacomaWorld, and I, for one, appreciate that.

Perhaps figure out your use case and plans before SCREAMING HELP NEEDED ? This isn't TacomaWorld, and I, for one, appreciate that.
I hope you’re not talking to me

I want to upgrade wheels and tires on my newly acquired stock vehicle (TLC 2014 200 series).
Current set up is stock wheels and tires (285/60R18 120H)
If you look at the top of this forum there is a "sticky" that's all about wheel size and tyre size. Set ups and what rubs and was does not depending on your set up. It's almost fool proof.

Ya… Lots of folks don’t realize that ALL CAP sentences are usually interpreted as yelling…

Ya… Lots of folks don’t realize that ALL CAP sentences are usually interpreted as yelling…
In my line of work, it is caps all day long, it is only yelling when it's in red and font 20.
So, I'm not yelling, and it reads all the same for me.

For everyone else, thanks for the help that the web search, tire shop or four-wheel parts couldn't help with, I do appreciate it.

In my line of work, it is caps all day long, it is only yelling when it's in red and font 20.
So, I'm not yelling, and it reads all the same for me.

For everyone else, thanks for the help that the web search, tire shop or four-wheel parts couldn't help with, I do appreciate it.

Actually, I was defending you…

Last edited:
If you look at the top of this forum there is a "sticky" that's all about wheel size and tyre size. Set ups and what rubs and was does not depending on your set up. It's almost fool proof.

How do you navigate to “sticky” on mobile platform?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom