towing with an 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Suggestions- looking to get into possibly an 80 series or 100 series, we tow a trailer about 2000lbs, plus the 4 of us which include my wife and 2 kids. Live in the midwest but venture to the west alot which obviously involves the mountains, can the 80 or 100 do this and travel 65 on the interstates and maintain speed limits through the mountains instead of crawl speeds. We love the scenic routes but sometimes we only have 10 days off so we would like to reach our destination at least at speed limits...

The only things that kill Land Cruisers are rust and rollovers.

100 series for the towing win. The V8 at least has a fighting chance to maintain road speeds and no worries about popping a head gasket. Also bigger brakes.

Definitely a 100 series for towing.

im guessing the LX470 will be the same as 100series for towing? would aux trans cooler help?

I think an 80 can handle 2k. I can do that with my samurai. I believe the factory 80 tow rating is 5k.
Not mountain passes in less you like crawl speed get the v8

im guessing the LX470 will be the same as 100series for towing? would aux trans cooler help?

Yes.

Same engine, transmission, transfercase and axles (rear diff on the LX is limited slip). Suspension is different (depending upon year model). The LX470 came with AHC (Automatic Height Control), which when working properly is more than capable of towing the load you propose.

The standard transmission cooler in either model should be fine. IF you plan to tow heavier loads in extremely hot environments (upwards of 100° F ambient) then you might consider a larger or aux. trans cooler. Otherwise you should be fine.

Not mountain passes in less you like crawl speed get the v8

^^^^^^^^^^ Agreed.

I don't tow a lot and we don't have 'mountains' in Deep East Texas, but we have 'hills' and there is no comparison between my 80 series and the LX470 (100 series land cruiser).

The LX will walk away from my 80 series towing the same load. The ability to 'maintain' speed going up hills without really revving the engine is nice. On flat highways you feel as if you always have 'more' power to use if needed. The 80 can handle itself OK, but once you add weight (tow anything appreciable) you really feel it.

Yes.

Same engine, transmission, transfercase and axles (rear diff on the LX is limited slip). Suspension is different (depending upon year model). The LX470 came with AHC (Automatic Height Control), which when working properly is more than capable of towing the load you propose.

The standard transmission cooler in either model should be fine. IF you plan to tow heavier loads in extremely hot environments (upwards of 100° F ambient) then you might consider a larger or aux. trans cooler. Otherwise you should be fine.
ooking at LX470 with 96k miles on it, $17900 a decent price? of should i stick with the toyota

An 80 can do it, but a 100 or Lx470 with V8 can do it better. The 80 has the advantage of the solid axle for 4 wheeling over a IFS but a 100 series can do 315s on a mild lift & have a great time doing it.

Just went through the Sierras from Bishop to Lake Tahoe. Steep grades throughout the trip. The 80 with stock gearing could barely tow itself through the grades...38 mph on some of the steeper passes. Get a 100 if you plan to tow.

Edit: The 80 is an infinitely cooler vehicle, but a 100 is still better for towing :beer:

Last edited:
ooking at LX470 with 96k miles on it, $17900 a decent price? of should i stick with the toyota

Price depends on the year model, your locale and the condition of the vehicle, so I can't comment without knowing those things.

The Lexus LX470 is a 'Toyota'....just their 'top of line' model....or a "pimped out Land Cruiser".

When I bought my LX....I was looking for a straight up Land Cruiser, but found so many more 470's, with less mileage, for less money and on the whole....better service history's. So I ended up with an LX.

Any 100 series Toyota will give you more room, a better ride and more power (usable) than an 80 series.

I will NEVER get rid of my 80 series for a number of reasons, but if I had a long trip planned and/or was towing anything over 1500 lbs. I'd go in my Lexus/LC.

i think i will stick with the Toyota Landcruiser, receiving more info on the 470's about the automatic height control- air suspension, costs quite a bit to replace if goes bad....with the amount of miles im finding on the 04 or 05, that is a concern....thanks all so far who have responded, helps abunch...

Price depends on the year model, your locale and the condition of the vehicle, so I can't comment without knowing those things.

The Lexus LX470 is a 'Toyota'....just their 'top of line' model....or a "pimped out Land Cruiser".

When I bought my LX....I was looking for a straight up Land Cruiser, but found so many more 470's, with less mileage, for less money and on the whole....better service history's. So I ended up with an LX.

Any 100 series Toyota will give you more room, a better ride and more power (usable) than an 80 series.

I will NEVER get rid of my 80 series for a number of reasons, but if I had a long trip planned and/or was towing anything over 1500 lbs. I'd go in my Lexus/LC.
thanks.... i love the 470s but i just posted a thread regarding the air suspension? your thoughts on that?

d
Just went through the Sierras from Bishop to Lake Tahoe. Steep grades throughout the trip. The 80 with stock gearing could barely tow itself through the grades...38 mph on some of the steeper passes. Get a 100 if you plan to tow.

Edit: The 80 is an infinitely cooler vehicle, but a 100 is still better for towing :beer:
definitely cooler looking but seeing other posts here, yes, definitely going with the 100 series

I have a 97 LC and an 07 LC (with AHC). For 2k lbs, either can do it. The 97 would require downshifting, be slower, and just isn't fun to tow much of a load. The 07 (and my 05 Tundra with the same engine), can pull 3,500 t0 4,000 and the family up a decent grade at the speed limit - just turn off the overdrive. If you find a 100 series with the factory tow package, so much the better.
Like Flintknapper said, price can be very location-sensitive. That said, for a point of reference, I just looked on Craigslist here in Portland, OR, and find a number of LX 470s in the $16-$20k range (2001 - 2005ish). I see fewer 100's right now, ranging from $7k to $20k ('99-2006).

thanks.... i love the 470s but i just posted a thread regarding the air suspension? your thoughts on that?

Its hydraulic not air suspension. Depending upon condition...it can be expensive to fix. However, you can also remove the system and replace with Land Cruiser springs if you like, so don't dismiss the 470 based on that alone.

I would look for the cleanest, low mileage, well serviced vehicle I could find, which will give you a good 'base' vehicle to start with. Then do whatever maintenance/improvements needed.

In my case....the Land Cruisers I could find (Houston area) all had very high miles on them, were priced 2-4 thousand higher than MUCH lower mileage LX's of the same year model. AND most were not as clean or well serviced as the LX's I found.

It just didn't make sense to me to pay more to get less. I recognize that might not be the case in your market area, but I wouldn't throw the LX out the window until you've done some shopping around and compared prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom