Tornado takes the top off 1964 SWB FJ-45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not much to report other than gutting the fj62 hoping to have the car-cass gone this weekend. Still need to pull charcoal canister, fuel lines, tank, one door, and cut off one piece of the exhaust. Once its on the trailer ill yank the axles and steering box.
ForumRunner_20120223_083851.jpg

In case you didn't know, FJ62s have a slightly different steering box than FJ60s...

Duly Noted.. Box different (really doesn't matter I just don't want it going to the crusher!) And I have an FJ62 in the driveway. What's different? The mounting holes? I never even looked.

PS Lines.. Noted.. They're pretty rough but ill grab em. Might go Metric to AN and run new but it's best to have an not need than to need and not have.
Was pulling Fuel lines last night, WHAT a nightmare.. Poor frame is ROUGH on this thing. and I keep getting bolts stuck in my 6-point sockets after they snap. Lemme rephrase that, was TRYING to pull fuel lines.
Might grab the Air chisel tonight and try. That will require hearing and eye protection and perhaps a poncho for all the debris that will rain down on me.

Poor wagon gave its life i took everything that was worth pulling off. Which is good cause keg is dry. Need to defunk garage this weekend. Wagon pickup should happen sat buddy is taking car-cass and pulling axles with his forklift. Saves me tons of time and effort not having to do that on a trailer.
ForumRunner_20120223_211015.jpg
ForumRunner_20120223_211038.jpg
ForumRunner_20120223_211055.jpg
ForumRunner_20120223_211110.jpg

Nice work on the keg!! Oh, yeah, nice job on the parts rig also!!

Did you run that VIN by toyota to see if the fuel tank was under recall?

Kelly, thank u for letting me polish off the keg. Made my first weekend off since oct much more enjoyable. Garage is defunkafied mopped swept etc. Donor leaving tomorrow.
Anyone know what size toyota used on fuel line was it m15 1.5? Wanting to go to an fitting on rail to pump. Trying to keep most 62 stuff if possible.
ForumRunner_20120224_214608.jpg
ForumRunner_20120224_214815.jpg

From my limited searching looks like m14 can anyone confirm?

Spaghetti dinner anyone? Sadly that was about eight hours worth of work to cut all those circuits out.
ForumRunner_20120227_074546.jpg

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Spaghetti dinner anyone? Sadly that was about eight hours worth of work to cut all those circuits out.

Tip I learned from my swap, take the 3FE engine harness and then just add what you need to your existing 45 harness ;) There is way too much crap in a 62 harness for what you're doing, I started with the idea of using the 62 fuse block as well. There is very little you need outside of the engine harness (alt, O2, etc) -

Tucker

Last edited:
Not much to report. Was pinning out a couple spare wires. One was vss, one was temp sens1, and check engine light. Need to figure out alternator wiring ignition switch wiring and should be ready to graft into the truck. Ordered a few things today. New o2 sensors, o2 bungs, fuel pump and other misc fittings. Need to plumb a few things. Hope to see some progress this weekend.

Xmas to me. More stuff on the way. AN to metric to compression to run fuel lines. Metric banjo to run pressure gauge at filter. New o2 sensors and bungs. New hard fuel line and new hard brake line along with prop valve. My gas tank is here needs to be cleaned and painted. This tank was in my old Fj40 eons ago should fit the 45 fine. Hoping for a productive weekend. More stuff on the way including a new brake flare tool. I hate my old one. Picked up one that should do the trick quite well.
ForumRunner_20120301_171240.jpg
ForumRunner_20120301_171310.jpg

Summit Racing Part Number MSD-2225
UPC 085132022250

Free Flow Rate 43 gph
Maximum Pressure (psi) 70 psi
Inlet Size 3/8 in.
Inlet Quantity One
Inlet Attachment Hose barb
Outlet Size 5/16 in.
Outlet Quantity One
Outlet Attachment Hose barb

haven't mounted tank yet so not much to report yet this weekend. will have a pressure gauge on the outgoing side of the filter to monitor pressure.

Not much to report. Test fit fuel lines and tank. Plumbed high pressure lines for now till i get the engine to fire. Modified radiator mount to clear steering box. Found a fan that is slightly smaller than one on it that will fit a shroud better. Need to source a newer shroud mine will not work at all. And need to change motor mount on front pass to straighten fan/radiator alignment. Had wrong radiator hoses as well. Need a different hose for thermostat to radiator. After all that need to marry fj45 harness to 3f harness.
ForumRunner_20120309_085044.jpg
ForumRunner_20120309_085058.jpg
ForumRunner_20120309_085118.jpg
ForumRunner_20120309_085156.jpg
ForumRunner_20120309_085212.jpg

Definately a productive couple of days. I was po'd that i had wrong radiator hose so went into the parts hoard. If i would have looked in the box labeled radiator hoses first it would have been better. Found the correct hose. Flipped motor mounts 180 and got the engine lined up correctly and kept ac bracket and 3f alternator. Notched radiator brackets on frame to move it back about half inch. Still clears bib. Drivers side bib light will need to be clearanced a touch to clear ps box. Test fit spare h42 with the extension. Its tight will need to massage xmember support under tub a touch.
ForumRunner_20120312_220550.jpg
ForumRunner_20120312_220613.jpg
ForumRunner_20120312_220631.jpg
ForumRunner_20120312_220650.jpg

Forgot. Got a care package from jim c. Can take off the air injection rail.
ForumRunner_20120312_224953.jpg

Was working on a couple little things to test fit and prepping for the wiring fest to get everything to talk to the computer. Since my temp gauge is fried in my cluster and i wanted the newer style speedo cable that snaps on the back and can easily be replaced with a longer one i dug up a spare cluster. Pleasantly surprised that it has a vss in it. Also wanted to move the blinkers into the cluster and use the old blinker bulb location for the check engine light. I think im set. Need to do some more research on pulses.
ForumRunner_20120314_100836.jpg
ForumRunner_20120314_100856.jpg

My speedometer is 6 pulses per revolution, stock FJ62 is 4.. Not sure if that will do something weird to the computer or not.. I'm honestly not going to worry about it at this moment in time. Bigger things to worry about than a speed sensor which i can easily fix later by tossing some $ at it or see if the FJ62 one can be made to fit etc.

Ordered some exhaust bits today to try and mount O2 sensors etc sometime next week. Had a bad evening buttoning up stuff. Put coolant in it but i had forgotten to reinstall the power steering idler pulley assembly. Which goes thru a water jacket in the water pump. DUH.. Will fix that sunday.
Put oil in it. Which went fine.. but this morning it's marking it's territory BAD.. Pretty sure a spot weld or 2 are dorked on the pan skidplate. Not going to pull the pan just yet but will after everything is test fit and it runs. I have a spare pan stashed in the garage.
Currently waiting on exaust parts to show up, New wiring fuse block to show up, waterpump to show up and a few other unobtanium items to show up. I HATE the waiting game.

I also have had issues trying to figure out the lower radiator hose situation. Parts monkeys got the wrong stuff. For now I'm running a "hose" just to get it started. I'll figure out the correct one later. Funny i'm using what was sent as the wrong hose for the upper which sorta fits the lower but it was sitting there, will hold and flow water for now and will let me test fire the engine.

THis weekend i'm hoping to help a friend gut the wiring out of his spare FJ62.. Perhaps grab the power steering lines off his as well.. Mine were toast. Otherwise i'll put a volvo pump on it and move the steering to the other side. A whole lot of hurry up and wait. He might hopefully have a newer shroud in his parts pile.. Ahh the little things.

Other issue last night. Was hoping to plug the exhaust manifold.. Not 3/4 NPT.. apparently it's a compression plug that's needed. DOH.. Guess i get to test the return counter at the Home depot.

tornadoalleycruiser said:
Other issue last night. Was hoping to plug the exhaust manifold.. Not 3/4 NPT.. apparently it's a compression plug that's needed. DOH.. Guess i get to test the return counter at the Home depot.

Yep - 3/4" brass plug and the nut off the factory flex pipe ;)

1000000325.jpg

Tucker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom