Tool Roll Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I almost bought an industrial Consew awhile back , not sure of age but shipping weight was around 75lbs . The old model 66 Singer is a dead-on 45 lbs of cast metal and hardened internals , it will break off needles easily but never by hitting the plate . Somewhere , I had found some German made #20 needles on the net - I'll have to search them out again but they should fit fine on the shank .
Great tip on the Slant machines , never thought about that . I'm currently hunting the zigzag stitch plate for it as I only have the single hole standard plate right now for the 500A . I got the machine cheap but it was horribly gummed up with some crappy oil - had to kerosene wash the entire internals with the motor removed - the smell is finally going away after 2 months .

My one brother in law has 2 huge industrial walking foot machines that use the clutch drive motors/belts . My hands would last about 5 minutes on one - takes a lot of coordination skills to operate the foot pedal and plan where you're going and when to let off as they can coast quite a few extra stitches before stopping . He's punctured a couple of fingers and had to have a broken needle extracted once - that put him out for a solid week . He does do some nice racing leather work with repairs and such...

Have any of you used the older Toyota machines ? I can't remember the model now , but some marine sewing guys seek a certain one out for doing canvas and it does do several stitch types with a walking foot if I remember ....

Sarge
I have been pretty lucky so far, came close though with the fingers, have a feeling the machine will not show any mercy, the consew came with a couple of extra needles, but again using the original needle still, I have to oil the machine a lot as it is still getting broke in.

Two machines we have in our shop..Came out of the post "rigger shop" when they upgraded. Great thread, looking forward to seeing where/how this goes....!

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

IMG_1572.jpg

I sewed a few of the straps 1-6 yesterday, I am doing 12 tool rolls on this run

After I did the first two sets of straps I decided to go with a darker thread, and had to spend an hour undoing an hours worth of work, but I like the darker thread better. The first pic shows were I added the new color thread to my first test run, and other pics showing the color change (third pic is lighter thread on top and darker on bottom)

20160201_091830.jpg
20160131_095405.jpg
20160131_112952.jpg

When I cut these out I made the template about almost 1" larger then the finished product (only to one side or it would be too much material) to allow for the folding, first ones I did I only did with 1/2" and found that was not enough and took longer to get the fold, it is easier to cut off any extra material, but most of the time not needed.

I also fold the sides in first (part that will get sewed to the roll, then the top and bottom if it is a strap this keeps the side nicely tucked in while I attach to the roll, hopefully pic will show you what I mean, I also cut the excess corners off which may stick out while attaching to the roll.

Not sure why the photos are upside down:hmm:

20160130_145832.jpg
20160130_150116.jpg
20160130_150047.jpg

Numbers are from my local rubber stamp shop, I requested that the ink is for cloth, I wanted the old fashion actual rubber stamp that you put on a ink pad, but she recommenced the self inking ones and said you can use it for over 2000 stamps before refilling it and she would refill them for free, Canvas must equal a lot of stamping, I could do about 20 stamps on canvas and I need to take them back for refill, they do work pretty good.

I spent a lot of time comparing, measuring and looking at different fonts to get as close as I could, used many different fonts and sizing, bolding.....I think I got pretty close, here is some samples and a pdf of the numbers

I have looked at many tool rolls and it seems they used a circle stamp and a number stamp separately, some of the numbers were not centered and some had a lot of bleadover on the canvas, so mine might be too nice compared to the actual one :) Notice the #3 on an original tool roll.

I also found I had to use an Iron to set the ink, or drying time was about 24 hours

IMG_7215.JPG
20160131_133803.jpg

Attachments

• Tool roll numbers.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
yeah that Consew is most likely the stolen design from sailrite - the first ultrafeeds were made by a company in china that didn't really give a s*** about U.S. patents and sold copies of the sailrite ultrafeed to different companies at cheaper prices. They were essentially the same machine just without the quality control. Once tuned properly it will run as well as the real thing.

Here is another lesson learned, too keep a finish sample product with the template, makes it much easier later, if you do this again.

all the cutouts are done, and still working on sewing them up, then I will start attaching them to the roll

20160131_174851.jpg
20160131_174845.jpg
20160131_141240.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet.

When will these be available?!

I'm in for when they ready! I'm been looking for a tool roll for a while with no success.

I will be offering these up for sale once I have them completed, I will have to come up with a price.

I am making 12 of the ones with straps and pockets and no Logo, and only 4 of the ones with only the pockets and Logo,

I can add a logo to the other one, but it has to be requested before assembly, I will not try to silkscreen a completed one, I am not that comfortable doing silkscreen on a bag I spent hours making....The original tool roll with straps and pockets did not have the Logo on it, but the pocket only one did.

I will start a list for request-please message me with the request (Uzjgaspowered you are on the list-thanks for the interest)

I will need to know which one you want as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom