To get rid of an F Engine... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...what is the best thing to do?

This engine I acquired but don't need, no one seems to want. I'm thinking of scrapping it. 800 lbs of metal should be worth something, no? Should it be saved? It's rebuildable, I just don't have anywhere to store it. Does some enthusiast out there want it? I will sell you a new head gasket/seals and give you a free engine.........
in Portland, OR.

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

f5.jpg

f6.jpg

f7.jpg

Are you sure it's only an "F"? Based upon the location of the dipstick, and the boss in front of the distributor, it could be a 1.5F, which legend has, married the best of the F to the better oiling system of the 2F.

I need it, but I'm in San Antonio. Moving back to Olympia, WA this fall. Would you store it for me until then? Hahaha.

Don't scrap it, someone will want that!

Are you sure it's only an "F"? Based upon the location of the dipstick, and the boss in front of the distributor, it could be a 1.5F, which legend has, married the best of the F to the better oiling system of the 2F.

:bang: it's not a 2F oiling system but a late F engine oiling system improvement that was carried over to the 2F. 74 was one of the longest model years and they all the late F engine oiling system. Just one of pet peeves like a F.5 engine. Toyota didn't change the engine designation in 74, still a F155. Which is under discussion that could have started in late 69 with the start of the 70 model. Another thing I would never call my cruisers is a FJ since that covers a wide variety of cruisers. Best leave that to the FJ Cruiser.:cheers:

Yep, I saw this on CL. Jason still wants a period correct F135 (which I understand) and we are still hunting for one of those blocks near WA

@73FJ40 If by 1.5 you mean F155, yes. This thing reportedly only has 58,000 miles on it. Unless the ODO has flipped. Needed some lower end work.

I considered rebuilding it later but unsure about investing $500+ to do that. Seems it would sit around forever before anyone bought it.

@Matt1260

I THINK it could be a transition engine released by Toyota between the 1F and the 2F so I've heard it called the "1.5F" I imagine someone (particularly old timers) will object to calling an F engine "1F", but, in my opinion, if WWI ("the war to end all wars") didn't get that moniker until WW2 came along, it makes sense to designate the F engine the 1F.

So, Living says ":bang: it's not a 2F oiling system but a late F engine oiling system improvement that was carried over to the 2F." may be semantics; my point was that just by looking at your picture, your engine has the outer physical appearance of a 2F due to its attributes noted below.

So, if you have an F engine that looks like a 2F, then it's likely a transition engine with the benefit of "a late F engine oiling system improvement that was carried over to the 2F".

My "limited" understanding is that in the early 1970's there was the F engine, and by 1975 or so there was the 2F engine, but some time between Jan 1973 (I have a Jan '73 with a bonafide F engine) and 1975, let's say 1974, there was a transition engine IN SIMPLIFIED TERMS that was part F engine and part 2F engine. (let me clarify: in VERY simplistic terms). So, call it 1.5F or "F.5" but it's not the early 1970's F and it's not a 2F.

The early 1970's F engine mentioned above had partial oil filtration (the oil filter housing was bolted to the manifolds and was supplied with a hose into the filter and then oil returned by hose to the crankcase) and also had a thin copper oil supply tube threaded up through the block and head to a fitting in the middle of the rocker arm tube. The 2F had full filtration of the oil, with the filter housing bolted to the passenger side of the engine, between the distributor and the fuel pump. The dipstick was relocated behind the distributor. the rocker arm copper tube was eliminated because they found a way to feed the oil to the rocker arms through an oil gallery integral with the block, head and boss supporting the rocker arms. Your picture has all those components in the right places to be considered "a late F engine oiling system improvement that was carried over the the 2F".

For the transition engine, which likely has a serial number that starts with "F" and not "2F", some 'Mudders have suggested the engine performance is better than the later 2F, so, with better performance and a much improved oiling system, 1.5F engines have been considered (by some, anyway) to be a desirable upgrade.

Paging RustyNailJustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom