Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 255's are a fair bit more expensive on that site than the 285's, assuming because there's more options.

Yeah, it's too bad they're not more common; they're actually a really nice size.

235/85R16 in those Yokohama Geolanders are 32". Would fit your rims perfectly. I actually like that size quite a bit, but definitely gives the tall skinny look not everyone is into. Really good pricing in that size from the looks of it.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's too bad they're not more common; they're actually a really nice size.

235/85R16 in those Yokohama Geolanders are 32". Would fit your rims perfectly. I actually like that size quite a bit, but definitely gives the tall skinny look not everyone is into. Really good pricing in that size from the looks of it.
Yeah, like half the price eh?

They're probably the same size if not marginally bigger than the 33x10.5 bfg's I have on there now, but any smaller and I'd pretty much have to forget about using first gear. :lol:

@bcsteel just went through a tire wheel research. What’s your thoughts M?
I think the 285’s would be fine on that wheel @seapotato has. The BFG AT’s I think
would be best considering your driving habits. Longevity and really highly regarded
in winter.

@bcsteel just went through a tire wheel research. What’s your thoughts M?
I think the 285’s would be fine on that wheel @seapotato has. The BFG AT’s I think
would be best considering your driving habits. Longevity and really highly regarded
in winter.
Yeah, I have bfg at's now. They're ok. Decent enough in snow.

I know the 285's fit ( that's what @bcsteel has ) but I do still prefer the narrower tires if I can find a set.

I have lots of time. The tires on the truck are fine, and it's not like winter is next week.

I don't have any need for muds on this truck, just something that'll last a long time. I hate buying tires, waste far too much time reading reviews and trying to pick something, then pretty much end up with whatever is available anyways.

I should just buy some M55's, then I'll lhave the same tires till I die :lol:

In my research the options up here were not too many. Couple that with my extreme cheapness and it became E rated Duratracs in 285/75/16.

I think 255 etc/etc would be a good fit especially with the 70’s series wheels and the massive Toyota discount 🤣. But that size was months away and most tires were North of 500.00 up here. Canadian Tire had several thousand Duratracs available so that made it easy. Toyo, Nitto and Yokohama were on my list but 3k for tires is never going happen.

That tirecraft on the highway in chemainus has a few options.

Used to be a cruiser guy who owned it. Not sure if he still does or not, it's been years since I've seen his cruiser there. He had a pale blue 42 that was sprung over.

Bah. Wouldn't save my search results to the link. Anyways, 285's are a couple hundred cheaper than 255's. But it's not a massive difference from them.

0mm offset?
Correct.

16x8. 0mm offset, so 4” backspace. Won’t fit 40/60/70 front without spacers or IFS wheel hubs (but that’s a whole other project).

More tire options in bigger sizes on 16”… better yet… 17” wheels.

I’ve been very happy so far with toyo MT’s in 315/75/r16. Would buy again.

Cheers
Crusty

Correct.

16x8. 0mm offset, so 4” backspace. Won’t fit 40/60/70 front without spacers or IFS wheel hubs (but that’s a whole other project).

Cheers
Crusty
I put a set of those on Mootard back in the day. In 255/85 size of course...they were pretty nice.

One of the few options available in 255 these days, but $$$.

Nice tires, but muds would be wasted on my 60. I do actually hate mud. :lol:

I'm still undecided, although I could grab the geolanders anytime and be done with it, so that's kinda tempting.

Correct.

Cheers
Crusty

Yes, 17" seems to be the thing now. Need a bigger rim on modern vehicles to fit over some actual decent brake systems, haha.

I do like the large sidewall of 35" tires on 15" rims though. I think a tire like that will outperform a 35" on a 17"+ rim off road? Larger sidewall aired down will allow contact patch to conform better?

I've heard a lot of good things about Toyo MTs. @cruiserpilot loves them and has had very good success over the years on some epic trips. I did not see any of these available in 35x12.5R15 unfortunetely. Even if I did, I imagine they'd be in the $500ea region (aka, outta my price range).

Well, in other news, I have five Fedex tracking numbers for my tires. Should show up next Wednesday apparently. Coming from Quebec. Not sure how that company makes money with their free shipping policy!

They arrived. Super happy with how these look and feel; definitely a well made tire.

Manufacture date is 0423 (fourth week of this year), so they're nice and fresh. They're about 3/4" narrower than my last ones which I'm really happy about (ideally I want 35x10.5R15). Tread width measures 10", section width measures 12" and tire stands 34.5" tall (all pre mounting of course). One picture here is compared to my 235/85R16. Red dot on last picture shows how tire stem should be aligned to tire; apparently makes much easier to balance.

IMG_20230622_133647025_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230622_133630297_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230622_134751664.jpg
IMG_20230622_135023989_HDR.jpg

Well that's cool. I've actually been eyeballing the Nexen atx in 285/75/16.

From that pmc tire place the price is pretty tempting. 269 a piece and 10% off till the end of the month or so. 1109 all in, shipped.

Tires themselves seem to get good reviews.

Well that's cool. I've actually been eyeballing the Nexen atx in 285/75/16.

From that pmc tire place the price is pretty tempting. 269 a piece and 10% off till the end of the month or so. 1109 all in, shipped.

Tires themselves seem to get good reviews.
That's a really good price. I found Amazon was best for finding review's on these less known tires. You're right, seems those are decent too.

I was thinking about all terrains for a bit, and my reading indicated the Falken Wildpeak AT3W was top of the game. Apparently used to be well priced, but now that they're popular, someone is cashing in and they're not so competitive anymore. Still would take it over a BFG AT tho.

Oh, and if anyone reading this wants a deal on 5x 35" muds with about 14/32's tread remaining, let me know (stack in background). Still some life there.

IMG_4312.jpeg
IMG_4311.jpeg
IMG_4310.jpeg

It’s unfortunate that these are 5 bolt. At $200 a piece on rims they are interesting… but not right for me. I’m set for tires till mine age out in 6-7 years.

Vancouver unfortunately.

Just calculated mpg from that trip to Midway BC and back on these 35" tires. I was going 10% above posted speed limit most of the time; so around 110km/hr. Ambient temps were 30-35C. A couple big passes hope/princeton and anarchist summmit. Tires at 28psi. Achieved 13l/100km average or 21.5mpg for entire trip.

So I haven't bought tires yet, my plan is changing a bit. Now I'm thinking the 70 series wheels go on the 40, with new 255's (or 285s) and then I'll just do the summer/winter thing with the bfgs on the 60, until they're worn out or I'm sick of them 🤣

Mainly because having been keeping track of used tires lately my old ones aren't worth much, so I may as well wear them out myself. :meh:

Anyways, point is, I'd mostly decided to hold off till spring until these ****ers emailed me.

25% off...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom