Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GTSSportCoupe

2LTE abuser
Threads
My 35s have decent tread still, but rubber is starting to age and crack. Decided I am going to replace them while they still have some value on the used market.

I love the size for daily driving and offroad, as they are comfy, don't seem to make much mpg difference, and suit my factory 4.88 diffs well. Power up hills etc. is still fine. I do have a second set of 'towing tires' 235/85R16, but they're in ok shape still due to indoor storage.

35x12.5R15 muds terrains are hard to find in stock. Found Cooper STT Pro tires in stock for decent price, but section width is a bit wide at 13.1". Noticed some Nexen mud tires that I had initially written off; as I associate the company with cheap tires. Read into it quite a bit, and decided to go for them. Seems Nexen put quite an effort into engineering a good MT tire. Can even get up to load range 'F' (12 ply) in some sizes. 3 ply side walls, and a tread pattern that I find attractive. $320each shipped! That is a fantastic price if you've looked at any truck tire recently.

Will see how they go. Here's how the tire looks (not my vehicle/picture):

1686601218809.png

Last edited:
Look pretty cool. Those look like a stiffer sidewall than the ones you are running. Are you going to
get the C rated or E rated tires?

Look pretty cool. Those look like a stiffer sidewall than the ones you are running. Are you going to
get the C rated or E rated tires?

Hey Jon, I went with C rated. Possibly could be a stiffer sidewall; will see I guess. They are a bit taller, but also narrower than what I have I think.

My small tires are E-rated, so good and tough for towing duty.

Hey Jon, I went with C rated. Possibly could be a stiffer sidewall; will see I guess. They are a bit taller, but also narrower than what I have I think.

My small tires are E-rated, so good and tough for towing duty.
C rated seem like a decent option for a lighter vehicle like a Landcruiser. I say lighter because it’s more like 5000 lbs than 10,000 lbs. Some sidewall flex is important for wheeling and ride quality.

C rated seem like a decent option for a lighter vehicle like a Landcruiser. I say lighter because it’s more like 5000 lbs than 10,000 lbs. Some sidewall flex is important for wheeling and ride quality.

Way easier to air down when off road than my E-rated tires too (ie. Don't have to drop pressure too low to get good contact patch). The E-rated are nice for towing though, I must say.

C-rated 35" feel like marsh mellows in the city. Soft coils suspension + marsh mellow tires = Cadillac Cruiser. Not getting any younger, and that soft ride is something I like now, haha.

Get them from a local shop?

I've been looking into 285/75/16 and it ranges from 290ish for a brand I've never heard of (sailun?)
To 335 for Yokohama geolanders, to 360 for toyos.

I'm looking more at ATS for general purpose.

Get them from a local shop?

I've been looking into 285/75/16 and it ranges from 290ish for a brand I've never heard of (sailun?)
To 335 for Yokohama geolanders, to 360 for toyos.

I'm looking more at ATS for general purpose.

Ordered online, but will get mounted locally.

Seems like an illegit website, but I've had good luck purchasing from them in the past. Some really good prices here in the size you're looking for. You could wait to see if mine show up first though, hahaha.

Here's what the show in 285/75R16

Haha, well if yours show up I'll maybe have to look closer.

I'm in the same boat, my 33x10.5s are at around 60% so worth something maybe.

I have some new 70 series 16 inch rims but haven't gotten around to tires yet. June is a brutal month for us. Property taxes AND house insurance. Not a lot of change left over from 10k. 😞

It's funny, the Yokohama geolander g015 are the ones that cedar tire are pushing a bit, 337 out the door,and they're actually more expensive on that site, but the Cooper's are waaayyy cheaper.

Haha, well if yours show up I'll maybe have to look closer.

I'm in the same boat, my 33x10.5s are at around 60% so worth something maybe.

I have some new 70 series 16 inch rims but haven't gotten around to tires yet. June is a brutal month for us. Property taxes AND house insurance. Not a lot of change left over from 10k. 😞

It's funny, the Yokohama geolander g015 are the ones that cedar tire are pushing a bit, 337 out the door,and they're actually more expensive on that site, but the Cooper's are waaayyy cheaper.

Does $337 include mounting and tax then? That's a really good price either way though compared to the website link I gave. Definitely pays to do pricing comparisons.

Yeah, I get the tight budget; hence my buying cheap MTs, haha. If you wait until Fall you'll have fresher tread for the first winter....

Honestly I should be moving away from 15". I think that is really limiting stock and pricing for me. Lots more options in 16-17".

Does $337 include mounting and tax then? That's a really good price either way though compared to the website link I gave. Definitely pays to do pricing comparisons.

Yeah, I get the tight budget; hence my buying cheap MTs, haha. If you wait until Fall you'll have fresher tread for the first winter....

Honestly I should be moving away from 15". I think that is really limiting stock and pricing for me. Lots more options in 16-17".
Yeah Mel finally bought a new(er) car so I might throw the 60s plates on her old CRV for a couple months. It'll give me time for some work the 60 desperately needs, so I really don't need the new tires till closer to to fall.

The 70 series 16 inch rims are a little over 100 bucks a piece.

Some ****er in butthump northern BC got a 20% discount on them, but Nanaimo Toyota told me to **** my hat when I asked for that :lol:

And yeah 337 was out the door for the Yoko's.

Yeah Mel finally bought a new(er) car so I might throw the 60s plates on her old CRV for a couple months. It'll give me time for some work the 60 desperately needs, so I really don't need the new tires till closer to to fall.

The 70 series 16 inch rims are a little over 100 bucks a piece.

Some f***er in butthump northern BC got a 20% discount on them, but Nanaimo Toyota told me to f*** my hat when I asked for that :lol:

And yeah 337 was out the door for the Yoko's.

Are the rims you bought steel or alloy? That's a good price in any case. Maybe you already mentioned this elsewhere and I didn't see...

This is what's waiting for tires in my shop...View attachment 3348093

Very nice!!

Have you measured the rim width? Looking up that part number, Mr. T claims 16x6. But your wheel picture looks more like 16x7 to me.

The 285/75R16 tires you're looking at spec a 7.5-9" wide rim. You could probably get away with 7" ok, but might be a little crowned at higher pressures.

Wonder if your tire shop can get some 255/85R16 for you? Those would be better on a narrow rim.

(The Japanese in this description reads: Illustration. Meaning Type C in the picture).

1686671036510.png

1686671128924.png

Very nice!!

Have you measured the rim width? Looking up that part number, Mr. T claims 16x6. But your wheel picture looks more like 16x7 to me.

The 285/75R16 tires you're looking at spec a 7.5-9" wide rim. You could probably get away with 7" ok, but might be a little crowned at higher pressures.

Wonder if your tire shop can get some 255/85R16 for you? Those would be better on a narrow rim.

(The Japanese in this description reads: Illustration. Meaning Type C in the picture).

View attachment 3348220
View attachment 3348223
255/85 is definitely my first choice, but there's pretty limited options.

285 are just a lot more common, and fit on the rims ok, but I prefer the skinnier ones.

I have 285's on some steelies on my 40. I forget the brand, but your basic american racing looking things. I'm tempted to put the new rims on it, and the 285's on the 60, and burn them off over the summer.

Course that'd mean I'd be buying 2 sets of tires... :bang:

With the miles the 40 sees, the 50% on the muds will last a decade :lol:

Wasted a couple minutes at work to confirm what I thought. In that wheel illustration:

1686675022447.png

1686675054124.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom