Tires (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I haven't bought tires yet, my plan is changing a bit. Now I'm thinking the 70 series wheels go on the 40, with new 255's (or 285s) and then I'll just do the summer/winter thing with the bfgs on the 60, until they're worn out or I'm sick of them šŸ¤£

Mainly because having been keeping track of used tires lately my old ones aren't worth much, so I may as well wear them out myself. :meh:

Anyways, point is, I'd mostly decided to hold off till spring until these f***ers emailed me.

25% off...

Pretty hard to beat that! Shipping seems included too with those guys. Interesting mix they have. I'm having fun browsing all over again.

El Nino's back this year apparently. Personally I hope that translates into a warmer winter and more rain. Less road salt, less snow, and more water in the rivers/lakes/reservoirs.

I'm very happy with the new MTs. I'd say only downside is they are a little more fuel hungry than the last ones. But the company is pretty honest about that in their specs: Offroad 10/10; fuel economy 6/10. Lol.

Pretty hard to beat that! Shipping seems included too with those guys. Interesting mix they have. I'm having fun browsing all over again.

El Nino's back this year apparently. Personally I hope that translates into a warmer winter and more rain. Less road salt, less snow, and more water in the rivers/lakes/reservoirs.

I'm very happy with the new MTs. I'd say only downside is they are a little more fuel hungry than the last ones. But the company is pretty honest about that in their specs: Offroad 10/10; fuel economy 6/10. Lol.
Yeah their prices seem to start a bit higher, but 25% is a pretty decent discount.

I had been thinking about 255 Toyo MTs but some other brands are half the price.

I'll have to do a proper dig into it this week at work.

I've always wanted to try this companies retreads. They're pretty cheap, had fantastic reviews when I looked at them. I haven't paid much attention to them since moving so not sure how the reviews are these days.

The mixing of walnuts shells and crushed glass into the rubber was pretty interesting, apparently it made for fantastic winter grip. I see that toyo has started to do the same with walnut shells.

I've always wanted to try this companies retreads. They're pretty cheap, had fantastic reviews when I looked at them. I haven't paid much attention to them since moving so not sure how the reviews are these days.

The mixing of walnuts shells and crushed glass into the rubber was pretty interesting, apparently it made for fantastic winter grip. I see that toyo has started to do the same with walnut shells.

That is pretty interesting. The MTR ish looking ones are all sold out.

I'm still debating saying ****it and just buying what I want. I prefer 255s.

The 255's aren't actually much cheaper on that 25% off deal than the usual 10 off at the parts engine place. So there's no real incentive there to jump on it.

BH tire in chemainus usually show a bunch of Cooper's in these sizes, but almost everything is backordered according to the website right now.

That is pretty interesting. The MTR ish looking ones are all sold out.

I'm still debating saying f***it and just buying what I want. I prefer 255s.

The 255's aren't actually much cheaper on that 25% off deal than the usual 10 off at the parts engine place. So there's no real incentive there to jump on it.

BH tire in chemainus usually show a bunch of Cooper's in these sizes, but almost everything is backordered according to the website right now.

Yeah, actually getting something available is definitely the hard part. That's what got me to those online outfits in the first place.

Why are you think an MT tire now? I thought you were looking at AT's? They're better usually on the road, mpg and with ice/snow.

I like the look of MT and love them off road, but really there ain't much off road happening these days for me! I should have gone AT too really. Meh.

Yeah, actually getting something available is definitely the hard part. That's what got me to those online outfits in the first place.

Why are you think an MT tire now? I thought you were looking at AT's? They're better usually on the road, mpg and with ice/snow.

I like the look of MT and love them off road, but really there ain't much off road happening these days for me! I should have gone AT too really. Meh.
Ok...bear with me here...šŸ¤£

d69c914e-3e12-4f27-a60a-3ac1b7d3f39d.png

Basically I'm thinking of putting the new 70 rims on the 40. Think they'd look better on there.

With its whopping 2500 kms per year even muds will last forever.

I doubt I'd get more than 2-300 bucks for my old 33x10.5 BFG ATS on the 60 right now so I may as well use them up. Been watching used tires and 15's seem to sit around unless they're really cheap.

40 has 16" rims on it now , they'll make it onto the 60 eventually, probably next summer unless I find some 17" steelies in the meantime, at that point I'll get some ATS for general use.

Neither truck really desperately needs new tires, but both sets are getting older. Especially the old school muds on the 40. I don't generally carry a spare on it so, something a bit fresher would probably be wise :hillbilly:

Ok...bear with me here...šŸ¤£

View attachment 3434837

Basically I'm thinking of putting the new 70 rims on the 40. Think they'd look better on there.

With its whopping 2500 kms per year even muds will last forever.

I doubt I'd get more than 2-300 bucks for my old 33x10.5 BFG ATS on the 60 right now so I may as well use them up. Been watching used tires and 15's seem to sit around unless they're really cheap.

40 has 16" rims on it now , they'll make it onto the 60 eventually, probably next summer unless I find some 17" steelies in the meantime, at that point I'll get some ATS for general use.

Neither truck really desperately needs new tires, but both sets are getting older. Especially the old school muds on the 40. I don't generally carry a spare on it so, something a bit fresher would probably be wise :hillbilly:

Haha! OK, I think I follow ya now. :idea:

Looking forward to seeing what you end up with when you move on this.

Ol' 60 wallowed a bit on the way home with these. I wasn't expecting rims...šŸ™„

View attachment 3447290

So, eight 255/85/16's will fit in a 60.

9 would be a stretch šŸ¤£

Good score!! I think I saw those for sale and thought of you at the time.

Can't believe those all fit in one load tho. It was all I could do to fit 5 x 35" in mine. Got tread marks on the ceiling now? Haha; I do.

Good score!! I think I saw those for sale and thought of you at the time.

Can't believe those all fit in one load tho. It was all I could do to fit 5 x 35" in mine. Got tread marks on the ceiling now? Haha; I do.
Haha probably. Took a second attempt at packing to fit them all.

One was definitely poised in decapitation position as extra incentive to not stop quickly šŸ¤£

I forgot how easily 255s roll...old lump just floats along now.

Has me thinking maybe they would be ok on the 60. That size in an at maybe... cooper makes them I think :hmm:

I stuck the 285s on the 60, just to see what that size feels like on there. Quite a bit taller than the 33/10.5/15
And quite a bit firmer...I could feel every fir cone on the driveway šŸ¤£

PXL_20231005_214351030.jpg

I forgot how easily 255s roll...old lump just floats along now.

Has me thinking maybe they would be ok on the 60. That size in an at maybe... cooper makes them I think :hmm:

I stuck the 285s on the 60, just to see what that size feels like on there. Quite a bit taller than the 33/10.5/15
And quite a bit firmer...I could feel every fir cone on the driveway šŸ¤£

View attachment 3448176

Are you mounting/dismounting your own tires? What pressure are you running? Are these E-rated?

Are you mounting/dismounting your own tires? What pressure are you running? Are these E-rated?
No, but cedar tire is only a km or so away. They're usually decent.

Just crazy busy this time of year with the snow tire freakout.

Tire machine would be handy but I'm hoping all this tire bull**** comes to a stop soon šŸ¤®

All are E rated yeah, usually 40 psi or so on the 16's...not that I've checked recently :lol:

No, but cedar tire is only a km or so away. They're usually decent.

Just crazy busy this time of year with the snow tire freakout.

Tire machine would be handy but I'm hoping all this tire bulls*** comes to a stop soon šŸ¤®

All are E rated yeah, usually 40 psi or so on the 16's...not that I've checked recently :lol:

Ah, cool. Yeah, I $$ to have my tires mounted too. E-rated explains the rough ride. But yup, should see some good mpg!

Every now and then I see a tire machine & balancer come up cheapā€¦ I always felt I donā€™t have space and Iā€™ve got a good tire shop. Unfortunately, the owner had a heart attack and passed away suddenly a while back. It was a bummer for all his employees and customers. As far as I can tell, SOS tire has closed its doors for good.

Now Iā€™ll have to reevaluate my positionā€¦ or switch to splits and do away with the tire machineā€¦ although a balancer would probably still be helpful. However, Iā€™ve heard many shops are too chicken to work on splits. Apparently, the theoretical possibility of decapitation is a concern for some.

Forget splits, everyone knows the real hazard is the innocent looking white board lurking ā€œinnocentlyā€ on your wallā€¦ itā€™s really just lying there in wait, looking for itā€™s moment to strike. Iā€™m just now recovering from my trip to the ER after I was attacked by one three weeks ago. I was luckyā€¦ had it been a few inches over it could have been much worse. I was in for five hours to get all the stitches in after cleaning the large gash.

The friends who cleaned up all the blood said it looked like a murder scene. The doctors said I was very lucky, if I had lost another 2 litres of blood, I could have been in real danger. Dodged a real bullet there, and Iā€™ll never trust innocent looking white boards again. Chainsaws and machetes donā€™t worry me, but Iā€™m now terrified of white boards.

I've been tempted by the small manual changers, just for lawnmowers. For a while there it seemed like I got a flat every week.

For truck tires tho? It'd have to be cheap because it usually only comes up every few years, and I hate having s*** around that's just in the way 99% of the time .

My next set I'm hoping to just drive up to the shop and have it done. Maybe not even touch them šŸ˜†

I've been tempted by the small manual changers, just for lawnmowers. For a while there it seemed like I got a flat every week.

For truck tires tho? It'd have to be cheap because it usually only comes up every few years, and I hate having s*** around that's just in the way 99% of the time .

My next set I'm hoping to just drive up to the shop and have it done. Maybe not even touch them šŸ˜†
Problem there is that weā€™re too cheap. That and shops will keep you there 2.5 hours while they try to find torque specs for a ā€˜74ā€¦ even though it has a ā€˜77 rear axle with ā€˜95 studs, and a ā€˜77 front axle. And the FSM only says ā€œtightā€ if even that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom