Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is probably nothing, but I'd forgotten that when I put the black rims on the 40 I got new lugs.

Holes in these generic steelies are bigger than Toyota.

That little bit of daylight kinda gave me the creeps.
PXL_20231007_183514938.jpg

PXL_20231007_183432799.jpg

So , I grabbed another set of the ones I put on the 40. Slightly wider flange.

PXL_20231007_183438806.jpg

Plus swapping rims was a pain in the girly parts with rusty lugs. Every single one needed to be knocked out of the socket with a drift.

Every. Single. One. :bang:

This is probably nothing, but I'd forgotten that when I put the black rims on the 40 I got new lugs.

Holes in these generic steelies are bigger than Toyota.

That little bit of daylight kinda gave me the creeps.View attachment 3449735
View attachment 3449736

So , I grabbed another set of the ones I put on the 40. Slightly wider flange.

View attachment 3449737

Plus swapping rims was a pain in the girly parts with rusty lugs. Every single one needed to be knocked out of the socket with a drift.

Every. Single. One. :bang:
I hate that… I have to fight with them on the Ambo all the time. Those F’ers were $15-25 each the last time I needed one… who knows what they’re worth now. Damn near the point of buying a dually parts rig for its lid nuts… a bit ridiculous.

Was a tossup what thread to put this in...

But, I was reminded tonight of an old sailor saying. Something like, "the time to reef your sails is when you first think about it."

( reef meaning to reduce sail because the wind is picking up, for you lubbers :lol: )

So tonight, it's 6pm, getting into truck to head to work. Zero snow just a few pebbly beads floating around. "should I lock the hubs so I don't have to get out if it's s***ty halfway there?"

The correct answer was YES you dumb **** :doh:

So yeah, I was stuck behind someone doing about 30 as the highway got covered, and it felt slippery as hell, so I figgered I'd pull off at peerless road and kick the hubs in. Did a very elegant 180 before barely making it onto peerless road. Nothing like a sheet of ice with a dusting of snow over it to wake you up in the morning. Damn near fell on my ass just locking the hubs :lol:

Was a bit better in 4hi but yeezus it was slippery. Was almost stopped at lights in chemainus ( literally less than 1kph) tapped brakes, and the truck just gently slid sideways 3 feet.

So to bring this back to tires, I was debating whether BFG M&S were better or worse than BFG ATS....I figured they'd be close, but I think I have my answer.

Might be pulling the truck into the shop and swapping them over when I get home. I'll see what it's like on the drive in the morning. It's supposed to stop snowing soon, so it'll just be a crusty mess tomorrow most likely...but I'm sure as s*** changing them this weekend.

I had kind of been hoping that the snow in the forecast was not going to arrive till next week. I've got an axle I picked up from @cruiserpilot's place last Saturday that's ready to be swapped in. Building a 40 outside in the snow when it's below freezing has to be one of my least favorite things. Unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time if it doesn't clear up before I bolt it in and get everything hooked up.

I had kind of been hoping that the snow in the forecast was not going to arrive till next week. I've got an axle I picked up from @cruiserpilot's place last Saturday that's ready to be swapped in. Building a 40 outside in the snow when it's below freezing has to be one of my least favorite things. Unfortunately it wouldn't be the first time if it doesn't clear up before I bolt it in and get everything hooked up.
Well, snow or not, -10 kinda sucks for driveway work. 🤣

Well, snow or not, -10 kinda sucks for driveway work. 🤣
I'm sure I saw your truck that day... were you dumping off some scrap steel on the road that runs beside the highway.

Not 100 percent sure these would have helped with last night's s***show, but ****it. One less excuse.

PXL_20240112_161859143.jpg

Had hoped it wouldn't be necessary to switch but, hope in one hand s*** in the other, see which fills up first. 😒

I'll get new rubber for next winter any get rid of all these bfgs.

Bit freaking early for making a frozen tire tower. 🤣

PXL_20240112_165058152.jpg

Any chance you can grab some studded what ever the hell brand for cheap on FB??? Is night and day for moments like that.

Any chance you can grab some studded what ever the hell brand for cheap on FB??? Is night and day for moments like that.

Keep in mind our winters on a El Nino year usually only last a week, haha. Rest of 'winter' months here the studs just damage driveways.

Ahhh haha my bad. Do you guys get checked for not having a mountain rated tire in the “winter” months, studs are optional. We get checked and fined if not properly equipped.

Ahhh haha my bad. Do you guys get checked for not having a mountain rated tire in the “winter” months, studs are optional. We get checked and fined if not properly equipped.
Yes, they do check in some places on the island. I usually run M&S tires and keep chains in the cars; that seems to keep them happy.

To be honest, I've pretty much given up on looking for used tires.

I actually found a good set of studded duratracs. I was at work, so I couldn't go right away, but said I'd come after work (8:30-9pm) "nah that's too late, let's do it in the morning"
So we made an appointment for 8am. Next morning I text while making coffee because it was a 45 minute drive, and I hate driving lol...
"sold".
Well thanks for letting me know bud. I get cash in hand but I was about to show up on your doorstep.

Who gives their address to more than one person when selling? :bang:

Anyways between that and "90 percent tread remaining" on bald ass tires ****it 🤣

Everyone makes that percentage statement using 0 tread as 0 percent. To me a tire is done when it's more like 20 or 25 percent.

Anyways these ATS are still decent enough treadwise. (90% when I sell them 🤣) I just don't like the squishy 15" sidewalls.

before next winter I'm gonna grab a new set of 285/75/16 ats. Unless I decide to go to 17 steelies because there's a lot more options it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom