Tire and wheel decision woes (1 Viewer)

What wheel/tire setup do you recommend for 99.7% on road Los Angeles driving?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm all over the place and I need to find some inspiration.

I have a stock suspension 2011 LC that made it 53K miles on the stock tires. Usage is at least a 99% on road in Los Angeles traffic. Aside from needing new rubber I am open to changing the look of it with a new wheel.

I purchased some RW wheels locally on CL for a great price and I am thinking of getting a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ in 285/70. I searched all over this forum only to find that not many people have these tires. Anyone have experience with them? Obviously this option is not ideal for road driving but it scratches the itch for a new look very nicely.

I also like the 20" BBS tundra wheels. More wheel with some fat radial rubber would also change the look but in an entirely different way. So I am open to buying those as well and doing something like 305/50's Michelin Latitude tires on them. I like the way they look on ARich's vehicle.

Or I can stick with stock 18's and just replace them with regular radial tires. Cheap and suits my needs perfectly, but doesn't scratch any itches.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

I'm all over the place and I need to find some inspiration.

I have a stock suspension 2011 LC that made it 53K miles on the stock tires. Usage is at least a 99% on road in Los Angeles traffic. Aside from needing new rubber I am open to changing the look of it with a new wheel.

I purchased some RW wheels locally on CL for a great price and I am thinking of getting a set of Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ in 285/70. I searched all over this forum only to find that not many people have these tires. Anyone have experience with them? Obviously this option is not ideal for road driving but it scratches the itch for a new look very nicely.

I also like the 20" BBS tundra wheels. More wheel with some fat radial rubber would also change the look but in an entirely different way. So I am open to buying those as well and doing something like 305/50's Michelin Latitude tires on them. I like the way they look on ARich's vehicle.

Or I can stick with stock 18's and just replace them with regular radial tires. Cheap and suits my needs perfectly, but doesn't scratch any itches.

Thanks for reading,

Steve

Let me guess... You bought the set of 4 Rock Warriors that were on CL for $575...the same set I was about to buy when it sold? :)))

Mark

Skip the 20" wheels. Seriously.

20" wheels will be more expensive. The tires will be more expensive. The wheels will be heavier, increasing unsprung weight, which will reduce ride quality. The shorter, stiffer sidewalls on the tires will reduce ride quality. You might gain a little in handling due to the stiffer sidewall, but this is a Land Cruiser you are driving, not a sports sedan.

The shorter sidewall will reduce the protection for the rim, making it more likely that you will bend a rim on a pothole or curb a rim while parking.

20" wheels are about looks, if you like that look -- I don't care for the big wheel look. Pretty much everything else about them is a negative.

Stock wheels with new BFG ATs

Definitely not getting BFG AT's. Despite being the most popular choice. I'm not really considering price as a major factor. All these options are within a few hundred dollars of each other. I just want the best tire possible for my car with the TRD wheels and I don't think BFG's are there. They are definitely a great value, but I want the best regardless of price.

Also no longer considering 20's unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm seeking tires for the 17" TRD wheels. I am getting them powder coated black. Considered getting the "beadlocks" hard anodized but haven't found a vendor that will do them yet. So for now those are getting pc'd black also. I purchased some cad plated bolts to hold the beadlocks instead of those cheap looking torx bolts and I think the contrast between the cad plating and the black wheels will look pretty nice. If not, I'll paint the torx bolts black too. I want the TRD to be red but i need to do some more research to find the best way to do that.

According to the google docs tire/wheel chart, 285/70 should fit. Considering Goodyear Duratracs or Mickey Thompson ATZ's as a more off road choice and Goodyear AT Adventure or Cooper Adventurer AT3's as a more on road choice.

I need more reference points and opinions!

Let me guess... You bought the set of 4 Rock Warriors that were on CL for $575...the same set I was about to buy when it sold? :)))

Mark
No I bought these for $650 from a 23 year old kid in OC. He bought some Method wheels for his Tundra and I got the steal on the RW's. They are very clean.

Skip the 20" wheels. Seriously.

20" wheels will be more expensive. The tires will be more expensive. The wheels will be heavier, increasing unsprung weight, which will reduce ride quality. The shorter, stiffer sidewalls on the tires will reduce ride quality. You might gain a little in handling due to the stiffer sidewall, but this is a Land Cruiser you are driving, not a sports sedan.

The shorter sidewall will reduce the protection for the rim, making it more likely that you will bend a rim on a pothole or curb a rim while parking.

20" wheels are about looks, if you like that look -- I don't care for the big wheel look. Pretty much everything else about them is a negative.
While I do kind of like the look of the 20" wheels I only would get them on the stock ride height if they are OEM Lexus LX570 wheels (pc'd in something other than chrome). But I don't like them so much that I'm willing to spend $3k on them.

I agree that the shorter sidewalls will be a discomfort and will pose a damage risk to the wheels with less protection. None of the other drawbacks listed concern me. However, I will not be considering 20x9 Tundra BBS wheels at this time. If later down the line I decide to lift it and get crazy. Then I might, with some big ol tires on it.

Definitely not getting BFG AT's. Despite being the most popular choice. I'm not really considering price as a major factor. All these options are within a few hundred dollars of each other. I just want the best tire possible for my car with the TRD wheels and I don't think BFG's are there. They are definitely a great value, but I want the best regardless of price.

Also no longer considering 20's unless someone can convince me otherwise. I'm seeking tires for the 17" TRD wheels. I am getting them powder coated black. Considered getting the "beadlocks" hard anodized but haven't found a vendor that will do them yet. So for now those are getting pc'd black also. I purchased some cad plated bolts to hold the beadlocks instead of those cheap looking torx bolts and I think the contrast between the cad plating and the black wheels will look pretty nice. If not, I'll paint the torx bolts black too. I want the TRD to be red but i need to do some more research to find the best way to do that.

According to the google docs tire/wheel chart, 285/70 should fit. Considering Goodyear Duratracs or Mickey Thompson ATZ's as a more off road choice and Goodyear AT Adventure or Cooper Adventurer AT3's as a more on road choice.

Sounds to me like you would like the Yokohama Geolanders in 285/65-17, seen here: Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S

They are just slightly larger in diameter than the stock 285/60-18 tires, but have a more aggressive tread pattern. Shouls work great on those LA freeways :cheers:

Just one little niggle... The TRD Rock Warriors do NOT have bead-locks.
That outer ring on them does not cover any part of the tire.
Rather...it is there to protect the valve stem.

Just one little niggle... The TRD Rock Warriors do NOT have bead-locks.
That outer ring on them does not cover any part of the tire.
Rather...it is there to protect the valve stem.
That's why I had it in quotations. Because it is not a true bead lock, rather just the look of one.

That's why I had it in quotations. Because it is not a true bead lock, rather just the look of one.

Ah! Sorry bout dat! ;)

I mention it mainly because when I've hunted for them on Craigslist...just about everyone seems to refer to them as bead-locks. ;)

PS. Congrats on the great deal on RW wheels!

There was a set of 4 a week or so ago that were only $575...but I only needed one wheel. Should have bought them... Oh well. Someone else here probably got a great deal...

Ah! Sorry bout dat! ;)

I mention it mainly because when I've hunted for them on Craigslist...just about everyone seems to refer to them as bead-locks. ;)

PS. Congrats on the great deal on RW wheels!

There was a set of 4 a week or so ago that were only $575...but I only needed one wheel. Should have bought them... Oh well. Someone else here probably got a great deal...
I found my fifth wheel on ebay for $219 shipped from Utah.

285/70 will fit without problem...unless they are some sort of freakishly-wide tire.

I just added 285/70/17s on RW wheels and there is room to spare with everything stock--even at full articulation/full turn.
Mine are BFG KO2s.... Happy so far. Balanced easily, unlike my old KOs.

Last edited:
Get dem balloon tyres
img201_v85yc.jpg

I can confirm 285/70 r17 fit on stock wheels/suspension. Buy I've also seen 315/70 r17 but not sure if that cruiser had a lift or not

Go as big as you can or you will regret it. Promise

Go as big as you can or you will regret it. Promise
Does this statement still apply if I reiterate my previous post about how very little off-road use my vehicle gets? In all the time I've owned I've taken it on a dirt road once for about 5 miles. That's it. On road only. Grocery getter. I like the curb protection of a tall tire since I parallel park about 10 times a week.

I think I've pretty much decided on Goodyear AT Adventure in 285/70 on rock warrior wheels.

Does this statement still apply if I reiterate my previous post about how very little off-road use my vehicle gets? In all the time I've owned I've taken it on a dirt road once for about 5 miles. That's it. On road only. Grocery getter. I like the curb protection of a tall tire since I parallel park about 10 times a week.

I think I've pretty much decided on Goodyear AT Adventure in 285/70 on rock warrior wheels.

Just in case it matters... Remember that your speedometer and recorded mileage will be inaccurate. Not terribly...but enough to make arguing with a speeding ticket harder...and enough to make it appear gas mailbags is even worse than it actually is. Fewer turns of the wheel also have a noticed effect on cruising in overdrive on the freeway. Because the transmission thinks you are driving slower than you really are...sometimes getting it to stop in highest gear is a pain...

Just mention because if you really only intend street driving...you do give up some power...mpg...and speedo/odometer accuracy.

I realize you are only going to about 33" but even that smallish size bump is enough for me to have to hit higher speeds on the freeway before top gear wants to stay.

I have 18 inch RBP 94R Wheels on my tundra, love the wheels, most people think they are 20s when they see them. Bigger sidewalk makes a huge difference in ride.

Ok I'm done. TRD Rock Warrior wheels powder coated black. Faux bead locks powder coated black. New bead lock hardware, cad plated bolts. Here is a picture of the finished wheel in my living room and then a picture of the wheels only on my vehicle. The powder coating place, whom I had quite some trouble with only finished one of my bead locks. So I only have one on my spare.

IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom