Timing Issues SOLVED - 3FE Break-In Procedure Confirmation and Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This morning I was able to get the distributor installed one tooth CW from where it had initially been installed, that was the fix I was looking for. I had originally started by installing the distributor CCW from where it had been, only making it worse. Here's where it stands now (with TE1 and E1 jumpered):

Distributor body is rotated almost all the way CW in the slot

Timing is ~7-1/2* BTDC, so that gives me plenty of room to rotate the body CCW to gain more advance, which would help here at 7,240 feet

Idle set at 650 rpm on my Actron dwell/tach/voltmeter (tachometer in dash reads ~750 rpm)

At first it seemed that I had wasted a lot of time figuring this out, but I learned so much that'll be applicable to the '86 FJ60 and my other three Land Cruisers, all of which have, or will have, FJ60 electronic ignitions. I've also gotten really efficient with this type of work, especially getting to and knowing when piston #1 is at TDC. I also drew a few diagrams before starting this morning to get it straight in my head, and now it really makes sense. I was probably a little foggy in the brain over the past two days, fighting a sinus infection, and now that it's clearing up (literally) I was able to nail it. Looking back I feel pretty stupid, especially since I've owned my '84 FJ60 since new, along with other Land Cruisers along the way, and done most of the maintenance and all the the modifications by myself. Oh well.

I took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood a little while ago, then down into the canyon below the house and back up the steep grade. Has a little more pep than at 5* BTDC. In a little while my wife and I will take it for a Sunday drive up to the local ski area to put the 3FE under some load to finish the initial break-in. The road climbs about 1,400 feet in less than three miles, so that should give it a good workout. Next thing I'll do is advance the timing incrementally until the point where I get some pinging, then back it off some and document where it seems to drive best at this altitude.
I think i have this same problem, runs decent but has spark knock under a load distributer all the way ccw far as it will go

I've owned my '84 FJ60 since new, we bought it at Toyota West in Las Vegas shortly after moving the family to Nevada - the night we bought it at the dealership we struggled to decide on which Land Cruiser to buy, the new beige '84 FJ60 or the new Mustard Yellow '83 FJ40. I've also owned and driven a beige '82 Fj60, in addition to my FJ40s. Many years ago I read Jim Godwin's article in Four Wheeler magazine about fuel injecting an FJ60, and decided I'd like to do a build, but I didn't want to take the '84 FJ60 out of service. So I started looking at the Thrifty Nickel classifieds in Las Vegas. I ended up buying a rust-free '86 FJ60 for $1,200. It was complete except for the 2F, which had thrown a rod. Well, all I needed was a donor FJ62. When I was back in New Mexico for work I found a running '89 FJ62 in Santa Fe, but it had some body damage from a wreck coming off the ski hill (Taos or Santa Fe). I bought it from the original owner's son for $1,500 and replaced the front clip with parts from a parts '85 FJ60 I had also bought in Santa Fe. I drove it as a round headlight FJ62 for quite few years before pulling the 3FE to (finally) start my build. So that's a long-winded answer to your question. Moral of the story, it never hurts to pick up an extra Land Cruiser or two or three ...
Nice work John! This was a hard row. Patience and the old noggin working at 7* BTDC as well I see. Thanks for sharing. Great tech!

If there is any possibility of this, you need to fix that ASAP. Valve timing can’t be fixed through compensation of ignition timing....although it sounds like you got it sorted and it was just distributor placement.
is these even possible on a 60? I thought with timing gears they physcailly can't be installed wrong on the 2f! im having similar issues as the guy on this thread. But my dozzy install appears correct. Engine rebuilder was a bit of a numbskull

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom