For Sale Thoughts on this RestoMod - 1976 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey guys/gals - I'm not great at knowing where the market is at for these trucks. Could use your help/thoughts on what you think about this truck and what it is worth. I know this truck has a few modifications that are not period correct, swing aways in rear, aftermarket air filter, inexpensive winch, and it might be missing a reflector or emblem, but I'm ok with that. I like many of the changes. This truck was rehabbed over the past 4 years by the gentleman that owns it.

This is what I'm told:
-Frame off resto
-No bondo/mud on the truck...where necessary, body was replaced with correct panels (for example, rear quarters replaced).
-Single stage paint in Dune Biege
-The 2F was gone through and is running strong. Engine bay looks spotless with a number of brand new ancillary parts.
-Rear was converted to disc brakes
-Seats have been refurbished and look good
-Heater front and rear works
-New aftermarket stereo installed in center console
-The rear cage has an extension that extends up to the passenger/driver foot wells
-Mileage is unknown, but estimated to be about 75,000+
-I've seen pics of chassis/frame and it looks good
-Newly installed three inch lift

To my novice eyes the truck looks nice. Curious to hear what the group thinks about what you see, and what it's value is in a private party sale. Thanks!

fj1.jpg

fj2.jpg

fj3.jpg

fj4.jpg

Last edited:
Doors are 1974 or prior. I like them though because of the flip out windows for "natural A/C wind".... :)

Other than the hard top sides and doors being from different years, it looks pretty good. Doors are pre-75 and the hardtop sides are post-77 with vent windows in them. The front axle does not look right. Im not sure if its just the super long shackles or if the springs got flipped end for end. I think 25K is a bit high but in the end it will be up to you.

Is the front Axel more forwardly placed than usual?

Other than the hard top sides and doors being from different years, it looks pretty good. Doors are pre-75 and the hardtop sides are post-77 with vent windows in them. The front axle does not look right. Im not sure if its just the super long shackles or if the springs got flipped end for end. I think 25K is a bit high but in the end it will be up to you.

Good question about the front axle position. Not sure what's going on there. I'll look into that. Possible that the springs got flipped. Thanks for the input!!!

Where are you located? Are you looking for something close to home, or willing to travel/have it shipped?
I'm from Seattle....definitely willing to travel. Seems every time I find something I like it's either wasaay over priced , no longer for sale or sold. I have a 95 80 series I daily here in Seattle and 70 series I drive when I'm in El Salvador . I wanna relocate permanently to el sal but can not take my 80 because it is to new and not old enough if that makes sense.lol

I'm not against shipping either .

I saw the the listing the seller was asking 30k for it. What did you get it for. Also if he accepted your offer ask him to take the listing down. It's still up.

I'm from Seattle....definitely willing to travel. Seems every time I find something I like it's either wasaay over priced , no longer for sale or sold. I have a 95 80 series I daily here in Seattle and 70 series I drive when I'm in El Salvador . I wanna relocate permanently to el sal but can not take my 80 because it is to new and not old enough if that makes sense.lol

I'm not against shipping either .

I certainly don't have the silver bullet. I primarily look at eBay and Craigslist. But for Craigslist you really need to find a way to search the whole country. There are some phone apps that can make the searching process easier. There are quite a few 40's for sale on Craigslist all over the country, and of various conditions and prices. I also look at the website Bring A Trailer...good site, but the amount of 40's that get listed is pretty sporadic.

There is a green 1978 40 on eBay that just got posted in the last few hours. Some rust on the fenders...not sure about the frame. BIN of $16,500. Located in MN.

That 80 you have is good looking clean rig. I would think that thing would sell in a flash for good money in the PNW.

Good luck!

I certainly don't have the silver bullet. I primarily look at eBay and Craigslist. But for Craigslist you really need to find a way to search the whole country. There are some phone apps that can make the searching process easier. There are quite a few 40's for sale on Craigslist all over the country, and of various conditions and prices. I also look at the website Bring A Trailer...good site, but the amount of 40's that get listed is pretty sporadic.

There is a green 1978 40 on eBay that just got posted in the last few hours. Some rust on the fenders...not sure about the frame. BIN of $16,500. Located in MN.

That 80 you have is good looking clean rig. I would think that thing would sell in a flash for good money in the PNW.

Good luck!

I'll check that listing out. I pretty much just look on ebay , Craigslist around the NW and southwest . I need upload one of those nation wide search engines .
Thanks for the replay and enjoy your new Toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom