Thoughts on running rear third as a front. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a lot invested into the FJ60 front end on my FJ40 and I dont really want to change it out to the 80 front, even if it would net me a high pinion third. I've just recently centered a 80 elocker rear end and put it in the 40 and it's great! So, I've heard someone say that you can run a rear 9.5 elocker third in your front exle assy.
If I understand this correctly, it looks like I'd need a custom axle made to get the longer splines for the elocker. Then just a little grinding at the diff opening and another 12 Volt Guy harness and bingo! Right?
If I'm wrapping my little brain around this correctly, I'd be running on the back side of the ring and pinion gears..?
Thoughts on this? I've seen a guy on here who is running this setup but I didn't see much of a writeup on it. Is it strong enough running "backwards"??
Apologies if this is a dead horse.. I have done SOME searching on this, but I didn't turn up much on the strength of running on the back side of the R&P..
I have a 350 (5.3 coming soon) SM420 and 37's.
Thanks for any input! Cheers!

20161019_153144.jpg

That's a lot of work.

Recommend: Harrop eLocker and call it good. You already have most of the needed parts. The alternative would be an ARB.

You can run a Toyota electric locker in your front axle, but you'll need a custom inner with long splines.

Do not change to an 80 front. That's a down grade in my opinion.

:beer: on the SM420. Underrated great swap in FJ40s.

i did look at the Harrop, but it's $1,800!? Then I have to have it set up. I'm looking at $2500 said and done..
I can get an 80 rear elocker third for $500 and then, say the custom axle costs $350..?

Yeah, I can't get excited about switching my 9.5 for a 8" 80 front..

I love LOVE the Sm420 off road. That 1st gear gets me everywhere I NEED to go and the 4.7 low range in the Tcase ends up being just for fun.
On road, however, it's less than great. It's noisy and needs a gear between 2nd & 3rd, then another one at the end..

Ha-I think it needs one between 3 and 4. But a great addition to an FJ40.

I'm not sure what Harrops go for, but it isn't $1800. @wardharris can quote it for you. I can say, it's a much cleaner swap than a rear 80 factory locker into a front FJ40 application.

I'd say it is too! Much less to hang up. The actuator on my 80 rear is sticking way out of the foxhole. I have a Slee skid plate coming for it. Hopefully that will save it from the rocks...

That's the price I got from the Eaton site, but maybe I'm not looking at the right source for the best price.

i did look at the Harrop, but it's $1,800!? Then I have to have it set up. I'm looking at $2500 said and done..
I can get an 80 rear elocker third for $500 and then, say the custom axle costs $350..?

Yeah, I can't get excited about switching my 9.5 for a 8" 80 front..

Ha-I think it needs one between 3 and 4. But a great addition to an FJ40.

I'm not sure what Harrops go for, but it isn't $1800. @wardharris can quote it for you. I can say, it's a much cleaner swap than a rear 80 factory locker into a front FJ40 application.
HARROP EATON ELOCKER P/N A9378 = $1,194 with free shipping to CONUS

The Harrops were priced a bit higher several years ago, but $1,800? I can only assume a miscommunication. See posted price at A9378 Harrop Eaton ELocker™ with free shipping to CONUSA.

What shape is the OEM elocker in? I am told that some maintenance may be required after a few decades. To compare like to like, you might plan on some minor expense to refresh.....just sayin' :)

And here's the hard close......we include cool window stickers and no additional charge!

Good luck / happy trails whichever way you go, :cheers:

upload_2017-2-18_18-36-28.png

I have never seen anyone break a front 9.5 3Rd member. However one concern of running the elocker 9.5 up front is the long axle splines. Those long splines make it easier for the shaft to twist if overloaded and it's really tough to take apart. But they seem to be holding up on 80s-I have never heard of a front elocker axle shaft breaking and 80s are much heavier than 40s. So I would consider it. The other issue is my rear Toyota locker takes a while to engage and disengage. Which is no big deal on the rear I just leave it engaged on the trail. I would probably save up for a arb for the front since it is really nice to have quick locker reaction on the front. If u have a elocker front 80 diff, u could sell it and the cash would get u closer to a arb. U can use a different compressor and solenoid and switch and that would save u some money also.

I'd say it is too! Much less to hang up. The actuator on my 80 rear is sticking way out of the foxhole. I have a Slee skid plate coming for it. Hopefully that will save it from the rocks...

That's the price I got from the Eaton site, but maybe I'm not looking at the right source for the best price.
Hmmmm. Eaton doesn't sell the Harrop Eatons that I am aware of. We keep hearing how hard it is for folks to track these down, which is why we are sponsors on most of the forums and built a dedicated website/store www.yotalockers.com.

Georg and I have sold around 300 of the Harrops in the last several years. Fast actuation, simple install (for the most part), no air lines, etc. Georg and I both own them in our rigs. ACC, Forge, Torfab, East Coast Gear Supply, TRD4U, OTRAMM, Valley Hybrids (of course) and others are resellers/installers. Its a team sport..... :)

Cool video if you missed it.....also, we have a "shop and swap" program if you would like to replace an air locker with a Harrop. We will give you a $75 rebate (with documentation) and work with your shop to get it installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom