Thoughts on OME Dakar Light vs. Medium/Heavy springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dogfishlake

"Go on a living spree"
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Hello all,

I have been reading threads and researching lifts and am leaning strongly towards the ARB Dakar lift. I really like the 2.5" vs the 4" for my needs. My question is to whether I should do the light kit or the heavy kit? My use will be local cruising about with occasional trips to go camp pulling my Canadian M101 trailer. I don't foresee too crazy of a weight load becauae it's going in the trailer if I go big on a camp trip. I do have a Warn winch on the front. I want to hear that the light kit would work so I get the smoother ride, but don't want sag city either. I will likely do Bilstein shocks as well. Tires will likely be BFG 33x10.50-15 Mud Terrains. Any thoughts from you all that have experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers:beer::beer:

Hello all,

I have been reading threads and researching lifts and am leaning strongly towards the ARB Dakar lift. I really like the 2.5" vs the 4" for my needs. My question is to whether I should do the light kit or the heavy kit? My use will be local cruising about with occasional trips to go camp pulling my Canadian M101 trailer. I don't foresee too crazy of a weight load becauae it's going in the trailer if I go big on a camp trip. I do have a Warn winch on the front. I want to hear that the light kit would work so I get the smoother ride, but don't want sag city either. I will likely do Bilstein shocks as well. Tires will likely be BFG 33x10.50-15 Mud Terrains. Any thoughts from you all that have experience with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers:beer::beer:

I was unsure how my build would progress when we ordered the springs. I went with the heavies so the suspension could be dialed down by removing a leaf if needed.

I'm good with the heavies, as long as the ride isn't too harsh. Too harsh being a lot worse than a stock 40

I'm good with the heavies, as long as the ride isn't too harsh. Too harsh being a lot worse than a stock 40

If you are ordering from Cruiser Outfitters, a discussion with Kurt or Bryce will go along way towards getting you what you are looking for.

I utilized a 2" lift from SOR and I run 31" BFG tires w/ oil valved shocks. My suspension is significantly stiffer than stock, and part of this is due to higher arched springs (for the lift) that decrease the amount of leaf spring compression. I'd be inclined to get the light duty units, and use a pair of air shocks in the rear to control suspension while towing (heavy tongue weight). It's old school tech, but since you're not hard-core offroading (necessitating chassis flex) or loading the rig itself heavy, it gives you versatility when you're towing. I don't know if Bilstein has a setup like this, since they specialize in gas charged shocks.

The previous owner of mine did the air shock thing
I don't know what he towed or did to it but the rear shock mounts where all bent up on frame down on spring plates
The shock mounts are not designed to support weight
Just something to consider

X2 I'd not use the shocks to increase load capacity.

I am running rear air bags and am happy with the results. I'd check out --->Toyotoa Load Assist Kits

I've got Firestone 'AiRide' bags and they work well for my setup, but I'd have bought the BOSS Air bags if they'd clear my rear disc brake conversion without major creativity.

The air bag idea is interesting, I'll check it out. As far as use goes, I think most of my wheeling will be seasonal roads here in Michigan. They are often soft, sometimes rutted, and a lot of them get whooped out. I picture being able to move along at a reasonable speed where the chassis can flex easily (light springs?) and bump stop crash is tempered by a very good shock. I have seen/ridden in a couple of trucks with lifts so stupid stiff they might as well been solid linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom